Knighted BwBers - chime in

Received press interest on some details in relation to the BwB knight-quests that were started by Aghrivaine at the 2001 Worldcon. Include any anecdote on your knighting or quest as a whole, your title, and your order of knights and year, and I will share with the press. It won't include your real name, but your BwB name, but basically looking for different foods and tales.

e.g.

Anecdote: Jeff helped me pee on a fence behind Pat's Steaks during our quest

Title: Ser Lodengarl the 3-Fisted (sat down with 3 beers after the party wound down to catch up to everyone else)

Order of Knights: Knights of the Cheesesteak

Year: 2001

Anecdote: Sent off on a quest to find souvlaki or saganaki. Knighted with a sword smuggled into the Con which GRRM named Bunyip Slayer.

Title: Ser Camaris

Order of Knights: Knights of the Spicy Meat

Year: 2010

In 2006 at LA Worldcon, it was the Pink's Hot Dog quest, and we got knighted as Knights of the Pink Dog. Pink's is pretty far away from the Anaheim convention center, and I remember hearing at the time that this was the furthest anyone had been sent on a quest. Personally, I never liked Pink's so I remember thinking at the time that we should have been sent to the original Original Tommy's, or to the Pantry, but there's no accounting for taste. ;) Anyway, I rode in a car with Mr. X driving (hero!) and the other passengers were Maid Sansa and Ghosts Companion. It was a pretty straightforward quest other than the long drive, and of course by the time we got back all the food was cold, but good times anyway.

I think my original title was Dame Katran, Order of the Pink Dog, but I've moved up in the world since then. Hey, geek points. Gotta take 'em while you can.

This is a pic from when the quest was announced. And one from the knighting. Apparently. I don't really remember much from that whole weekend. :cheers:

I was knighted at TorCon. We had a very different experience, in that GRRM was the Guest of Honor at that WorldCon and had many more demands on his schedule. One of the results with that was that there was no time for a quest. But as an homage to the books, someone (Aghrivaine perhaps) had arranged for the Hotel staff to prepare a lamprey pie. Not sure what was REALLY in it, but it was some odd seafood. So when he arrived at 1:00 AM, the quest was simply to sample the pie. I thought it was kinda bland. In the end, I think I ate about a third of it. It went well with the Bourbon I was drinking that night (Blanton's). You can see the bottle in the photo I have.

Anecdote: (see above)

Title: Ser Bronn Stone

Order of Knights: Knights of the Lamprey Pie

Year: 2003

Better anecdote was when GRRM raised me to Lord Bronn Stone at LACon in 2006. That was when he gave me a style, "Master of the Cellars" because of my demonstrated willingness to bring wine to most Cons. That and the geeky e-mail I sent him speculating on where in the Seven Kingdoms one could properly grow Bordeaux or Burgundy style grapes. Which he remembered four years later and somehow connected me with.

Full listing of Knightly Orders:

Year	Con	        City	                        Knightly Order

2001	Philcon	        Philadelphia, Pennsylvania	Knights of the Cheesesteak
2002	ConJosé	        San Jose, California	        The Knights that say “hint”
2003	TorCon 3	Toronto, Canada	                Knights of the Lamprey Pie
2004	Noreascon 4	Boston, Massachusetts	        Knights of Ye Olde Roaste Beefe
2005    (non-Worldcon)  Kansas City, Kansas             Knights of the Dumpster (Burnt Ends)
2005	Interaction	Glasgow, Scotland	        Knights of the Haggis
                                                        The Sullied Knights of the Dumpster
2006	L.A. Con IV	Anaheim, California	        Knights of the Pink Dog
2007	Nippon	        Yokohama, Japan	                Samurai Warriors of the Godzilla Suicide Squad, Order of the Bear (knighted by Pod)
2008	Denvention 3	Denver, Colorado	        Knights of the Mile High Tomato Pie
2009	Anticipation	Montreal, Canada	        Les Chevalier de Poutine
2010	Aussiecon 4	Melbourne, Australia	        Knights of the Spicy Meat
                                                        Knights of the Flaming Cheese
                                                        Knight of the Spicy Fungus

Full listing of Knightly Orders:

Year	Con	        City	                        Knightly Order

2001	Philcon	        Philadelphia, Pennsylvania	Knights of the Cheesesteak
2002	ConJosé	        San Jose, California	        The Knights that say “hint”
2003	TorCon 3	Toronto, Canada	                Knights of the Lamprey Pie
2004	Noreascon 4	Boston, Massachusetts	        Knights of Ye Olde Roaste Beefe
2005	Interaction	Glasgow, Scotland	        Knights of the Haggis
                                                        The Sullied Knights of the Dumpster
2006	L.A. Con IV	Anaheim, California	        Knights of the Pink Dog
2007	Nippon	        Yokohama, Japan	                Samurai Warriors of the Godzilla Suicide Squad, Order of the Bear (knighted by Pod)
2008	Denvention 3	Denver, Colorado	        Knights of the Mile High Tomato Pie
2009	Anticipation	Montreal, Canada	        Les Chevalier de Poutine
2010	Aussiecon 4	Melbourne, Australia	        Knights of the Spicy Meat
                                                        Knights of the Spicy Cheese
                                                        Knight of the Spicy Fungus

I am open to correction, but I am pretty sure it was "Knight of the Flaming Cheese" for Aussiecon :-)

Title: Xray the Enforcer, the Comtesse of Cocktails

Order: Knight of the Blue Rose/Knight of the Pink Dog (I was part of the group who got blue rose tattoos at LACon)

Year: 2006

Anecdote: My fondest memory of LACon was waking up early (despite the quests and bleedings from the day before) to make sure that Mr. X and I got zakalwe's ASOIAF MS paint art from the party room. Those pictures are STILL hanging in our "Hall of Zak." The quest itself is a haze due to extreme sleep deprivation followed by a frenzied booze run halfway across town to keep the 3rd bar stocked up.

In 2006 at LA Worldcon, it was the Pink's Hot Dog quest, and we got knighted as Knights of the Pink Dog. Pink's is pretty far away from the Anaheim convention center, and I remember hearing at the time that this was the furthest anyone had been sent on a quest. Personally, I never liked Pink's so I remember thinking at the time that we should have been sent to the original Original Tommy's, or to the Pantry, but there's no accounting for taste. ;) Anyway, I rode in a car with Mr. X driving (hero!) and the other passengers were Maid Sansa and Ghosts Companion. It was a pretty straightforward quest other than the long drive, and of course by the time we got back all the food was cold, but good times anyway.

Anything I put as an anecdote would be mostly rehashing Kat's story. No one will be surprised to hear that she waxed rhapsodic about rocks during that drive.

I had held off drinking the entire night, as I expected to be a driver on the quest. When George knighted me, I had an open can of beer in my hand.

Title: Ser X

Order of Knights: Knights of Pink Dog

Bronn kept referring to us as the Knights of the Fat Pink Mast. Good thing he wasn't the guy bestowing titles.

I became Le Duc X at Montreal.

Anecdote: The First Knight. I was brave (or drunk) enough to volunteer to be knighted first. Shared the Magical Cab ride back to the hotel with Lodey, Jeff, and Lannister. Heard in the cab: "WHAT did he just say???"- The Cab Driver

Title: Ser Trebla

Year: 2001

eta: It became tradition that any BwB member that attended 3 Worldcons would become a lord or lady. So in 2004 I was dubbed Lord Trebla the Trivial since I had won the first BwB Trivia Contest in 2002.

Anecdote:

At the very first in-person gathering of the BWB, at Philcon in 2000, I tucked a prop sword in my backpack just for the purpose of being knighted. At the party in the evening, I asked George if he'd do it. I hadn't really had a group thing in mind, I just thought it would be cool to say George Martin knighted me. ("cool" in the nerdy way, that is...)

He wasn't really willing to do it, and said to do so without a quest and a vigil would be inappropriate. He said he'd think about it. Later, after another panel, he said he'd knight me - but I had to stand vigil (stay up till 2AM, drinking) and then go on a quest - since I was a local, to take him to Pat's King of Steaks. I agreed, of course! But lots of people had filtered into the very first ever BWB party at that point, so George said we should all do it together.

I don't think he expected that many people to stay up that late, it was quite a few! But we all trooped out to Pat's, (I was NOT wearing a cloak, thank you, Teli.) I got George lost on the way to Passyunk, I took my car instead of a cab. Everyone else took taxis and got there directly. For this, George knighted me "Ser Aghrivaine the Wanderer." The rest is history - but that's how it really went down.

Unlike the article, I was perfectly sober when I made the request. It is just a happy accident that so many people joined in, and it became a tradition...but initially my intentions were entirely selfish, I assure you.

Title: Ser Aghrivaine the Wanderer, Lord of Monkeys

Year: 2000

Don't forget to include the upward movement on the social ladder that occurs post-knighting. For every WorldCon attended, you get to move up a notch to Lord/Lady, King/Queen, so on and so forth. Since Pod has attended the most WorldCons of anybody in the BwB, he's a king or something ridiculously noble, I don't remember exactly. I know that many of us were pushing for Pod's title to be 'God Emperor,' but George was having none of it :)

I am a Knight Who Says Hint.

I would share tales from ConJose, but unfortunately all I remember is sitting at the airport for hours waiting for a ride to the hotel... after that, I was too drunk to remember anything.

Don't forget to include the upward movement on the social ladder that occurs post-knighting. For every WorldCon attended, you get to move up a notch to Lord/Lady, King/Queen, so on and so forth.

Isn't it every other World Con that earns you a new title?

1 WC = Ser/Dame

3 WC = Lord/Lady

5 WC = Prince/Princess (I think...)

I am a Knight Who Says Hint.

I would share tales from ConJose, but unfortunately all I remember is sitting at the airport for hours waiting for a ride to the hotel... after that, I was too drunk to remember anything.

Was I the one who was supposed to pick you up? :leaving:

I think at the last one Pod was indeed raised to Emperor, as I'm pretty sure he'd already made King. :P

Title: Dame Aoife, Lady... I don't know, I don't think I got an "of X" anything in Denver. If I'm allowed to petition (ha!), I suggest "Lady Darkstar" or "Lady Trev" after the LA con chess match.

Order: Knight of the Haggis

Anecdote: I remember taking a taxi to the recommended haggis place, and being very glad that Sophelia was with us, as I think she was the only one of us who who would have been able to properly spell / pronounce "Sauchiehall". I also remember meeting up with others there, and all of us walking/ rushing back to try to be the first to return... only to find that some clever bastards enterprising others had figured out that the hotel did their own haggis, and had simply convinced the kitchen downstairs to bring some up. They and George had been waiting for the rest of us for ages. :lol:

Archived