A Thread for Small Questions IX

Datepalm

Poking fun, I assume. I don't really mind; I think we can edit them ourselves at 700.

why didn't i get one? I was part of that debate. In fact, I think I started it. ::pouts::

Tyrion thinks to himself in ACOK that once Princess Myrcella is definitely on her way from King's Landing, Prince Doran will send his strength to occupy the passes in Dorne. In AFFC, Arys Oakheart makes a reference to "Lord Yronwood's host in the Boneway." Is there any other reference to the Dornish forces? Is it reasonable to think that they're still mobilized and waiting in the mountain passes for orders from Sunspear?

Obara Sand in the first Areo Hotah chapter also mentions a host in the Prince's Pass that belongs to Prince Doran.

Okay, interesting.

So the 'Dornish response' that GRRM could happen very swiftly indeed, and without a lot of notice--assuming of course that it's a military attack, as I suspect it is.

Just wondering, did we ever find out what happened to the black brothers who mutinied at Craster's Keep in SoS?

I think some are still there. Look in the Appendix of AFFC under "The Sworn Brothers of the Night's Watch."

AT CRASTER'S KEEP (THE BETRAYERS)

DIRK, who murdered Craster, his host,

OLLO LOPHAND, who slew his lord commander Jeor Mormont,

GARTH OF GREENAWAY, MAWNEY, GRUBBS, ALAN OF ROSBY, former rangers,

CLUBFOOT KARL, ORPHAN OSS, MUTTERING BILL, former stewards

why did varys agree to kill Dany, and send birds to do it, if hes scheming to bring her back?

This is not a small question, but my take on it is that he is not scheming to bring her back. Rather, it seems like he and Illyrio conspire to bring someone else to the throne - or at least that is how it appears from Illyrio's end of things. Whether or not Varys is playing some kind of double or triple game with his true motives still unrevealed is very much an open question.

Of course, everything changes when the dragons are born.

I'm doing a forth re-read of A Game of Thrones and I was just wondering if we know of all of the Kingsguard during Robert's Rebellion?

There is: Ser Gerold Hightower the White Bull and the Lord Commander

Ser Arthur Dayne, The Sword of the Morning

Ser Oswell Whent

Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Jaime Lannister

Do we know the other 2? I was convinced Ser Willem Darry was one, but re-reading the ToJ scene kyboshed that. Were the others named in the White Book in ASoS?

I'm doing a forth re-read of A Game of Thrones and I was just wondering if we know of all of the Kingsguard during Robert's Rebellion?

There is: Ser Gerold Hightower the White Bull and the Lord Commander

Ser Arthur Dayne, The Sword of the Morning

Ser Oswell Whent

Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Jaime Lannister

Do we know the other 2? I was convinced Ser Willem Darry was one, but re-reading the ToJ scene kyboshed that. Were the others named in the White Book in ASoS?

Prince Lewin Martell was one, can't remember the other.

sorry, didn't really get an answer - anyone? :)

There are several theories.

1) They were scheming to bring Viserys to the throne, and Daenerys was expendable to some extent.

2) Jorah was forewarned, as the text greatly hints towards. He had just received a letter, and he immediately confronted the wine seller for no reason and stopped the assassination. This serves to ignite Drogo into action and also increases Daenerys' trust of Jorah.

3) Varys never actually sent those birds, and the wine seller was just a random anti-Targaryen psychopath.

4) Varys is not actually a Targaryen loyalist and maybe he really did send the bird to kill her and Jorah saved the day.

--

Option #2 makes the most sense from the text.

This may not be a "small question", apologies if that is so...

Why did Varys help Tyrion escape before he was supposed to executed in ASOS? All I could find was when Varys says "your brother (Jaime) can be very persuasive". Otherwise it just seems really random - a huge risk that Varys didn't need to take (and apparently slip out of the Red Keep for).

I did just start rereading AFFC after reading it only once a long time ago, and haven't read any of the released Tyrion chapters from ADWD. So maybe the answer lies in one of those two books - if so please don't spoil me. Thanks :)

This may not be a "small question", apologies if that is so...

Why did Varys help Tyrion escape before he was supposed to executed in ASOS? All I could find was when Varys says "your brother (Jaime) can be very persuasive". Otherwise it just seems really random - a huge risk that Varys didn't need to take (and apparently slip out of the Red Keep for).

I did just start rereading AFFC after reading it only once a long time ago, and haven't read any of the released Tyrion chapters from ADWD. So maybe the answer lies in one of those two books - if so please don't spoil me. Thanks :)

Keep reading and look to the AFfC Jaime chapters. At least part of the answer to your question is there. It may not explain all of Varys motives however.

Archived