The Princess and the Queen [SPOILERS]

well, it's some of that fake history I have been writing lo these many months, the true (mostly) story of the origins of the Dance of the Dragons.

I thought this means that its about a (almost true) story on earth (medieval England or somewhere) , not in ASOIAF world, which inspired Dance of the dragon? Am I reading it wrong?

It's about the events that would precede the Dance of the Dragons. It's set in the Seven Kingdoms.

Thanks! I still don't get "true (mostly) story" part. But that's a good news! I cannot wait!

I remember GRRM saying this project started small but became too big. Was original plan to include dance of dragon itself but cut it down? If so will it continue to PaQ2 to get to the dance?

I am all for it. I enjoy DE stories, but they don't excite me the way main story does, a little dull. So I am looking forward to both equally. Could it be that Martin was thinking through some details for TWOW and got a bout of inspiration for this shortie?

Guys, a little question: there is something I don't quite get, I had ADWD in paperback since July. Do I have completely screwed up idea of what paperback is? It was certainly way softer than my other books, and it's in paper bind... Or is it released everywhere but GB, or something?

Thanks! I still don't get "true (mostly) story" part. But that's a good news! I cannot wait!

I remember GRRM saying this project started small but became too big. Was original plan to include dance of dragon itself but cut it down? If so will it continue to PaQ2 to get to the dance?

The "mostly" part comes from the unreliable narrator. In theory, the person telling the story can potentially twist the story to his liking, so It might be a skewed telling of events. It's just Martin's way of telling the reader to take some things with a grain of salt...

Am I the only one not sad it aint a Dunk and Egg ! I so look forward to read about other eras in Westeros !

No, I mentioned on another thread that i'm excited for The Princess and the Queen and I think it will be better than the next D&E, and that's saying a lot since the next D&E sounds amazing. But The Dance of the Dragons will have cool characters and solve a lot of questions about dragons and their Westeros mythology.

It's about the events that would precede the Dance of the Dragons. It's set in the Seven Kingdoms.

So, it won't be about the Dance of the Dragons (the war itself), but the events that lead to it?

Anyways it seems interesting, I always wanted to know more about Rhaenyra and Ser Criston Cole, were they actually lovers? what lead him to become "the Kingmaker"? and what role the Queen have on it. Also more info about dragons is always welcome.

Do I understand it correctly, that this is going to be something that has grown out of the stuff GRRM wrote over the Dance of Dragons for the worldbook, but not exactly stuff that is also going to published in there?

And is this going to be an actual story, or will it be merely a fictitious 'historical text'? Meaning, will we get some action in there, a plot of sorts, or is this just a theoretical text (some maesters or an 'eye witness' recounting what he thinks has happened back then?).

I'm looking forward to it in any case, but I would prefer an actual story over theoretical stuff anytime, at least if it's published in short-story anthology...

On the 'story' itself:

If this thing extends into the Dance, the Queen in question could be Rhaenyra as well. But her stepmother is also a very good candidate. No one seemed to have her on the radar when discussing the outbreak of the Dance. But I'd be very surprised if she and Rhaenyra got along very well, and it would have been almost natural for her to want her son to succeed Viserys I. Since she was his second consort, she might have survived her husband. That is, if this story is not going to depict how Rhaenyra murdered her...

We all speculated how Rhaenys might have arranged her son Aenys I to succeed Aegon I, but no one has thought about the other (as of yet unknown) Targaryen women during the golden dragon age. If I remember correctly, Ran once stated that at least one of Viserys's I queens had Targaryen blood herself. If it was the Hightower wife, than she might have had her own dragon (or might have gotten it, after she married Viserys). The Targaryen women were effectively co-rulers until the Dance. All female Targaryens we know from that era (Visenya, Rhaenys, and Alysanne) shared the rule of the Realm with their husbands, and Visenya and Rhaenys seemed to have been the actual monarchs of the Realm (Aegon was more of a figurehead who did not really care about the business of ruling), so it's not unlikely that the Hightower queen wielded quite a lot of influence at court.

Do I understand it correctly, that this is going to be something that has grown out of the stuff GRRM wrote over the Dance of Dragons for the worldbook, but not exactly stuff that is also going to published in there?

That's about right.

If this thing extends into the Dance, the Queen in question could be Rhaenyra as well. But her stepmother is also a very good candidate.

Also a good candidate: Aegon II's wife, of whom we know nothing about. His daughter marries Aegon III, but there's no word about his consort. His sister, perhaps? A Velaryon?

This whole thing could really be interesting, since there are a lot of potentially very interesting characters during that era.

The Targaryen family:

- Viserys I

- his Hightower queen

- Princess Rhaenyra

- Rhaenyra's first consort, Lord Lyonel Strong of Harrenhal, who served as Hand of the King under Viserys I (no idea if he will still be alive at the time of the story)

- Rhaenyra's three sons by Lord Strong, who died during the Dance

- Rhaenyra's second consort - a Targaryen, according to Ran (I always liked to assume that he was a younger - perhaps the youngest - brother of Aegon II), father to Aegon III and Viserys II

- Prince Aegon

- Prince Aegon's (sister-?) wife

- Prince Aemond (rider of Vhagar)

- (speculative) brothers/sisters of Viserys I, cousins to Rhaenyra and Aegon

- even more distant cousins (other descendants of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne, and perhaps descendants of their siblings)

The royal court:

- Ser Criston Cole (Lord Commander of the Kingsguard)

- the last Hand serving under Viserys I

- the other council members

Ran, do you think you can shed at least some light on the royal family in that era, or do we have to wait for the book. Names alone are no spoilers, aren't they?

Rhaenyra's second husband is probably the most remarkable, and maybe infuriating as well, Targaryen who ever lived since Aegon and his sisters. I suppose you'd call him an adventurer.

That said, I'm not strictly sure that "The Princess and the Queen" will do him justice. You kind of need to know a bit about him from before and after the point which this novella will cover to really get the full measure of the man.

Rhaenyra's first husband has changed, BTW. He's the son of another rather remarkable person of the era, instead of Strong. Though you'll be hearing plenty about the Strongs, come to think of it.

My mistake. But I'm not so sure if they will be that important before the Dance begins. But it would be interesting to know how they ended up fighting on different sides? Did they bond with Rhaenyra and Aegon from the very beginning? Or was it merely an unfortunate chain of events?

Did GRRM keep Rhaenyra's three elder sons from her first consort? Her having plenty of male heirs when the Dance broke out was very intriguing...

This adventurer type sounds really interesting. It seems as if GRRM is really starting to make the voids in history as intriguing as possible. By the way, do you know if there was ever a 'sorcerer prince' within the Targaryen family tree within Westeros. I always thought they should have had at least one while their dragons were still around...

So what time frame will 'The Princess and the Queen' cover? The weeks/days immediately before Viserys's I death (through poison), or a longer period of time? Or will it stop years before the actual outbreak of the Dance?

Looks like the paperback edition of ADwD will be released in the US in September 2014!

Link

I'm not familiar with that site, but both Barnes & Noble and Amazon have May 28 as the paperback release date.

Links:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dance-with-dragons-george-r-r-martin/1100029984?ean=9780553385953

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-Song-Fire-Book/dp/055338595X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

So the Princess is Rhaenyra, the queen is Viserys I's 2nd wife. I guess the conflict in the story will revolve around the birth of Aegon II, the intrigues between supporters of a male heir (Cole's party, Hightowers, the Church, Andal conservatives) and the Rhaenyra loyalists (new first husband's family, the Strongs and Arryns I guess and Adventurer Targaryen's branch of the family.)

Also will Adventurer Targaryen's branch be detailed? did he descend from Aegon I? If so then the only possibility is his branch was founded by an unmentioned brother or son of Jaehaerys and Alysanne..

OFF TOPIC: Also is Princess Daeryssa an actual person or just a legend? if she was a Targ princess I always supposed she would be either a sister or daughter of Jaeherys and Alysanne as they were the monarchs who traveled far enough north to encounter giants.. perhaps a sister/aunt to Adventurer Targaryen's father/grandpa/greatgrandpa.

Archived