Dragons stirring - A Heretical look at Dany

nanother

This is a spin-off from the Heretic re-read thread. The main focus of the Heresies is the North: Winterfell, the Wall and beyound; and the players most often discussed are the CotF and the Old Gods, and above all the Others. But while trying to place these in the Game of Ice and Fire, we look at other gods, magical creatures and magic practitioners every now and then. I'm not sure how this thread is going to progress, but in order to keep the other thread more or less focused, it seems like a good idea to discuss Dany's and her dragons' role separately.

The need for this thread arose when we nearly started discussing Dany's dragon dreams, so here they are:

She had her first one some days before her wedding (so before she got the eggs). Coincidentally, right after she looked at Viserys and concluded that there are no more dragons.

There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud.

Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. “You woke the dragon,” he screamed as he kicked her. “You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon.” Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid …

This kind of reminds me of the Winterfell heart tree looking at Bran in his 3EC vision. Where he also saw dragons stirring:

At the heart of the godswood, the great white weirwood brooded over its reflection in the black pool, its leaves rustling in a chill wind. When it felt Bran watching, it lifted its eyes from the still waters and stared back at him knowingly.

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

We also know Bran used to be scared of the heart tree's eyes, although this time his source of fear was entirely different...

The second dragon dream was after the wedding, when she felt she could no longer bear the torment of day-long riding (and then being ridden at night) and just wanted to die:

Day followed day, and night followed night, until Dany knew she could not endure a moment longer. She would kill herself rather than go on, she decided one night …

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

And the next day, strangely, she did not seem to hurt quite so much. It was as if the gods had heard her and taken pity. Even her handmaids noticed the change. “Khaleesi,” Jhiqui said, “what is wrong? Are you sick?”

“I was,” she answered, standing over the dragon’s eggs that Illyrio had given her when she wed. She touched one, the largest of the three, running her hand lightly over the shell. Black-and-scarlet, she thought, like the dragon in my dream. The stone felt strangely warm beneath her fingers … or was she still dreaming? She pulled her hand back nervously.

Another instance of song/singing. Also, I take that this is the first time the eggs felt warm.

Great work, nanother!

Did her dreams make the connection to the "sleeping dragons" in their eggs? Did her dreams wake the dragons? It would be a cool parallel - Dany's dreams wake the sleeping dragons in their shells...

She embraced the fire and the eggs became warm. Just like Jon will embrace Winter and dance with the snowflake "anon"...

Another instance of song/singing. Also, I take that this is the first time the eggs felt warm.

Very nice parallels with Bran and Dany!. One thing I noticed is that the Bran's direwolf and Dany's dragon sing which help both of them heal. Robb tells Catelyn that Bran "needs to hear them sing" and it was said that Bran's heart beat stronger with the window open. The dragon "sings" to Dany and when she wakes up, she feels better. edit: The idea of singing and healing may seem contradictory to when we hear "swords singing" and "dance of dragons" but I guess it could be seen as a double-edged sword. The direwolves and dragons are a source of warmth and healing for the Starks and Dany, but they're also vicious animals. It'll also be interesting to see if Dany's dragons ever "sing" together like the Starks direwolves (except Ghost because he's mute) further in the reread. Though I have my doubts since we've seen hints on a second dance of dragons.

There are some cool parallels in this thread between the dragons and the direwolves. I have long believed that the series is ultimately about two sides, "Ice" and "Fire". The direwolves and the dragons are the rare 'magical' creatures affiliated with each side and it's nice to see some similarities between them.

@ Little Wing: I'm not sure who woke what, it's all very confusing... from the dream it seems that it's the dragon seeking her out - but did she perhaps call the dragon somehow? Not sure what triggered her first dream: she didn't have the eggs then (although, they might have been in the vicinity since Illyrio had to acquire them before the wedding); it's interesting that she just concluded "there are no more dragons" - maybe first she needed to realise Viserys is no dragon?

@ nenya: good call about the healing singing!

IIRC the phrase 'music of dragons' if part of the description of the dragons hatching. I can't remember anything else, but then I find many of the Dany chapters a struggle to read, so I might have missed/forgotten a lot.

I think 'song' might be more than double-edged... let's do a tally:

- Song of Ice and Fire, whatever that is

- later we'll have the Singers who sing the songs of earth, whatever those are (and they do literally sing, Bran says)

- the wolves sing

- the dragons do as well, as we've just seen

- there are the regular old songs that bards sing

- we have the 'song of swords' to go with the 'dance' of combat

- there are the songs of 'little birds' and tortured prisoners

...I'm sure there's more

@ DannySpud: yeah, it's nice, and hopefully we'll find more as the re-read progresses :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few of my notes on Dany's second dragon dream:

Day followed day, and night followed night, until Dany knew she could not endure a moment longer. She would kill herself rather than go on, she decided one night . . .

• Just when Daenerys commits to killing herself, she has a dream that turns her entire life around.

DANY’S DRAGON DREAM II

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her, She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

• This dream foreshadows the conflagration in Daenerys’ final POV.
  • Viserys’ absence from this dream also hints at future events.
  • The description of the dragon parallels the colors of one of her dragon eggs and the colors of one of her dragons.
  • Scarlet and black are connected to her brother Rhaegar’s black armor, his breast-plate encrusted with rubies.
  • Daenerys’ blood on the dragon MAY be the blood that results from a live birth of a child since Daenerys will symbolically be the mother of dragons. Her blood on the dragon MAY also represent a transference of her “pain” onto the dragon who seems to heal her physically and mentally by assuming this pain.
  • Martin reinforces the water imagery in its eyes of “pools” of magma and in this baptism by fire: a “jet” of fire “cleanses” and “scours” her and her blood “boils” and turns to “steam”.
  • Martin personifies the dragon fire that “swallows” Daenerys, and she opens her arms to embrace it as if it is a lover or a long lost friend or family member.
  • The dragon fire symbolically “burns” away the “old” Daenerys as she seemingly molts like a snake or a bird, her skin sloughing away to expose her new and improved self: now fiercer and stronger.
  • In her dragon dream, the “dragon” awakens inside her, so in Daenerys she achieves the very thing that her brother Viserys threatens will happen to him when he temper is aroused – “do you want to wake the dragon?” Daenerys’ inner dragon wakes just as Viserys’ boast of a waking dragon fizzles.
  • Daenerys’s dream MAY also be a subconsciously inspired vision, a product of her coping mechanisms, and the dragon and his fire are manifestations of her hope for a better future. I liken this to Dany being served “lemons” from which she makes “lemonade”.

And the next day, strangely, she did not seem to hurt quite so much. It was as if the gods had heard her and taken pity. Even her handmaids noticed the change. "Khaleesi," Jhiqui said, "what is wrong? Are you sick?"

• Daenerys notices on the very next day that her pain has lessened, and for some reason, her change prompts one of her hand maid to ask her if she is ill. I would think Daenerys’ appearance might improve with her new attitude.

"I was," she answered, standing over the dragon's eggs that Illyrio had given her when she wed. She touched one, the largest of the three, running her hand lightly over the shelf. Black-and-scarlet, she thought, like the dragon in my dream. The stone felt strangely warm beneath her fingers . . . or was she still dreaming? She pulled her hand back nervously.

• Daenerys stands over her dragon eggs when she announces that she WAS sick, which implies that she is no longer.
  • Daenerys proves her brilliance when she notices that one of the dragon eggs is the same colors as the dragon who appeared in her dream.
  • For some reason, Daenerys rationalizes now and later on the warmth she feels when she touches the dragon egg.

From that hour onward, each day was easier than the one before it. Her legs grew stronger; her blisters burst and her hands grew callused; her soft thighs toughened, supple as leather.

A potentially interesting bit from Eddard V that I decided not to quote in the main re-read thread, but might be worth mentioning here:

Arya bit her lip. “What will Bran do when he’s of age?”

Ned knelt beside her. “He has years to find that answer, Arya. For now, it is enough to know that he will live.” The night the bird had come from Winterfell, Eddard Stark had taken the girls to the castle godswood, an acre of elm and alder and black cottonwood overlooking the river. The heart tree there was a great oak, its ancient limbs overgrown with smokeberry vines; they knelt before it to offer their thanksgiving, as if it had been a weirwood. Sansa drifted to sleep as the moon rose, Arya several hours later, curling up in the grass under Ned’s cloak. All through the dark hours he kept his vigil alone. When dawn broke over the city, the dark red blooms of dragon’s breath surrounded the girls where they lay. “I dreamed of Bran,” Sansa had whispered to him. “I saw him smiling.”

DANY AND JON / PARALLEL JOURNEYS

I wish to draw a few parallels with Daenerys’ POV and Jon’s POV:

1) Daenerys and Ser Jorah Mormont look from a ridge at the Dothraki sea of green grass in a fashion similar to Jon Snow and Tyrion looking from “the edge of the world” out at the haunted forest defined as “a wall of night”.

2) The ghost grass that glows in the dark and is possessed with the spirits of the damned remind me of the Others and their minions with their blue eyes and seemingly reanimated state.

3) Daenerys’ thoughts about the east reveal “rumors” of strange creatures: “It was said that manticores prowled the islands of the JadeSea, that basilisks infested the jungles of Yi Ti, that spellsingers, warlocks, and aeromancers practiced their arts openly in Asshai, while shadowbinders and bloodmages worked terrible sorceries in the black of night.” These “entities” bring to mind the dangers believed to lurk in the lands beyond the Wall, like the Others, the wights, the giants, the grumkins, the snarks, the skinchangers, etc. However, we learn in Bran’s POV that the mythical direwolves had vanished around the same time as the dragons BUT amazingly the Starks come upon a litter of direwolf pups on execution day. Consequently, in the minds of the readers, we realize that if direwolves are indeed a reality, then certainly the dragons are a reality, or will be a reality, in Khaleesi’s future.

4) Martin personifies the Wall, Winterfell, the wind, and more just as he personifies the wind “breathing” through the blades of grass.

5) Even though Daenerys shivers when Ser Jorah speaks of the dying grasses, Martin discloses her relationship with fire, heat, flame, and dragons; likewise, Jon Snow is defined in terms of “ice and cold” as a bastard of Ned Stark, Lord of Winterfell – even his name depicts an arctic environment: “Snow”. The Stark’s house sigil is the direwolf, and Jon Snow’s direwolf is named “Ghost”, an appellation shared with the “ghost” grass that Ser Jorah speaks of.

6) Daenerys removes her boots so that her bare feet are exposed to the grass and the dirt. In a similar fashion that is rather a “stretch”, Tyrion and Jon remove their gloves to shake hands, bare flesh touching bare flesh. Somehow the idea of the bare skin in contact with “something” implies a mystic communion of some kind: Dany in the grass emphasizes her acceptance and marriage to the Dothraki people and their culture. Tyrion and Jon shaking hands is a demonstration of friendship, or the joining of two rival houses, the Starks and the Lannisters.

7) Dany draws comfort and strength from her dragon eggs just as Jon draws comfort from Ghost.

8) Both are rejuvenated in their darkest moments of despair, both find strength in their respective sources, and both change their ways of looking at their plights.

9) Daenerys and Jon Snow are the victims of the whims of others, and neither is allowed a voice in his/her path for his/her future. Daenerys is sold to Khal Drogo by Viserys for a crown, and Jon is sent to the Wall primarily because of Catelyn’s desire to rid her family of the bastard.

10) Both display survivors’ instincts and mentally and physically adapt to their lots and their environments.

Evita, I love the comparisons between Jon and Daenerys, two favorite characters of mine and I don't understand the Daenerys hate on the forums. A vocal minority hates her POV's and don't see her as the strong leader that I do. She and Jon are equals on equal paths representing opposing sides in the story of Ice and Fire....two sides of the same coin, I would say.

Not sure if this is the right place for it...

In the main heretic reread thread the "curtain of light" that Bran sees was brought up; I had just read the Quaithe entry in the World of Ice and Fire app and noticed that one of the cryptic advice she gave to Dany was "to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

I'm thinking this is the same light that Bran sees in his vision... Not really sure what to make it...what ever was behind the light frightened Bran, and Danys help will be needed to fend off whatever this threat is....Jon acting as a bridge between Bran and Dany?

Not sure if this is the right place for it...

In the main heretic reread thread the "curtain of light" that Bran sees was brought up; I had just read the Quaithe entry in the World of Ice and Fire app and noticed that one of the cryptic advice she gave to Dany was "to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

I'm thinking this is the same light that Bran sees in his vision... Not really sure what to make it...what ever was behind the light frightened Bran, and Danys help will be needed to fend off whatever this threat is....Jon acting as a bridge between Bran and Dany?

I read a theory that made some sense regarding this. The part where Daenerys passed under Drogon's belly was like being under his shadow, and when he tried to burn her with his flames (the light) she proved herself and basically took command of Drogon at that point.

My memory about Quaithe is very fuzzy - IIRC when she says that, she really wants Dany to go to Asshai (she also says she'd find 'truth' there). I wonder if that has to do with Bran seeing 'dragons stirring' in Asshai - I had this idea that there's possibly some sort of mother-of-all-dragons hanging out in Asshai (or somoene pulling strings from there), seeing that Dany's dragons are 'stirring' somewhere entirely else (although still in that general direction, so it could just refer to them).

But lately Quaithe seems to have given up on that, right? She now dishes out other obscure advice, but no longer tells her to go to Asshai, does she?

Anyway, I really don't know what she means by 'touching the light' - I find the dragon theory fairly unconvincing, although it does make some sense...in fact I don't see any reason to think that she already has 'touched the light'. Yes, she had a big epiphany at the end of ADwD, but there's nothing to say she won't have any more...

As for the curtain of light - not sure... Qauithe makes it sound like the light is something desirable for Dany, rather than the hideout of an adversary, but obscure as she is, anything is possible :unsure:

Also, someone once quoted the World App saying that the Shadow Lands are so called because they're encircled by very tall mountains, so they rarely get direct sunlight - so not sure what 'passing beneath the shadow' means either, in relation to Asshai :unsure:

There's some more dragon material in the chapters skipped in the main re-read thread:

From Arya III (seems to fit here better than in the other thread)

“It’s dead,” she said aloud. “It’s just a skull, it can’t hurt me.” Yet somehow the monster seemed

to know she was there. She could feel its empty eyes watching her through the gloom, and there was

something in that dim, cavernous room that did not love her.

• How many times did we hear someone saying 'the dead can't hurt me'?
  • Does the eyes/eye-sockets following people have any significance, or is it just a device Martin uses every time he describes eyes? In any case, Tyrion had the same feeling.
  • The feeling f being watched by something hostile is much the same as in the Prologue

Dany IV

Beyond the horse gate, plundered gods and stolen heroes loomed to either side of them. ... Some of the statues were so lovely they took her breath away, others so misshapen and terrible that Dany could scarcely bear to look at them. Those, Ser Jorah said, had likely come from the Shadow Lands beyond Asshai.

Asshai is building a reputation...

Also, more dragon bonding, after she had a fight with Viserys:

“I’m not hungry,” Dany said sadly. She was suddenly very tired. “Share the food among yourselves, and send some to Ser Jorah, if you would.” After a moment she added, “Please, bring me one of the dragon’s eggs.”

Irri fetched the egg with the deep green shell, bronze flecks shining amid its scales as she turned it in her small hands. Dany curled up on her side, pulling the sandsilk cloak across her and cradling the egg in the hollow between her swollen belly and small, tender breasts. She liked to hold them. They were so beautiful, and sometimes just being close to them made her feel stronger, braver, as if somehow she were drawing strength from the stone dragons locked inside.

She was lying there, holding the egg, when she felt the child move within her . . . as if he were

reaching out, brother to brother, blood to blood. “You are the dragon,” Dany whispered to him, “the true dragon. I know it. I know it.” And she smiled, and went to sleep dreaming of home.

We have many instances where characters 'know' things, and many of those are probably them being 'unreliable narrators', but as far as I can remember Dany's instincts invariably turn out to be correct (but please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm never too sure about Dany!)

edit: added links to ToH summaries

Oh Dany, Dany, Dany..... Where do I begin?

I like the idea of the dragon calling Dany through her dreams. I think that her last two dragon dreams were prophetic to her inner dragon waking. In her last POV she tells herself that she is a monster and is coming to grips with the fact that she cannot spare everyone. I would also like to believe that her miscarriage could have been a blood sacrifice to wake the dragon in Dany (I know its a long shot). When Dany sees Khal Jaquo(SP?) it will wake the dragon. She did promise he would die screaming. I think that the 'flame' that renews her will kill the Khal as well as helping establish Dany as a type of dragon warrior. (am i ridiculous yet?)

I think that jon has a similar parallel : he cannot save everyone. He has also just paid in blood. Also Jon/Mel Dany/Quathe . They both have people telling them prophecies that do not seem to be helping. To me these relationships are very intriguing. Especially if shadowbinders are related to R'hollar, Mel states that shadows cannot exist without the light or something like that ?? Also, knowing the future is not necessarily a good thing IMO. I would be very interested to find out what Quathes motives are, if we ever find out. I have already said as of right now it just appears that she is trying to make dany go mad. Although.... "Remember the Undieing" "...mother of dragons,daughter of death..." She just says remember the undieing, she is obviously not specific, it could be a warning that she should trust no one, or something else....

Oh Dany, Dany, Dany..... Where do I begin?

I like the idea of the dragon calling Dany through her dreams. I think that her last two dragon dreams were prophetic to her inner dragon waking. In her last POV she tells herself that she is a monster and is coming to grips with the fact that she cannot spare everyone. I would also like to believe that her miscarriage could have been a blood sacrifice to wake the dragon in Dany (I know its a long shot). When Dany sees Khal Jaquo(SP?) it will wake the dragon. She did promise he would die screaming. I think that the 'flame' that renews her will kill the Khal as well as helping establish Dany as a type of dragon warrior. (am i ridiculous yet?)

I think that jon has a similar parallel : he cannot save everyone. He has also just paid in blood. Also Jon/Mel Dany/Quathe . They both have people telling them prophecies that do not seem to be helping. To me these relationships are very intriguing. Especially if shadowbinders are related to R'hollar, Mel states that shadows cannot exist without the light or something like that ?? Also, knowing the future is not necessarily a good thing IMO. I would be very interested to find out what Quathes motives are, if we ever find out. I have already said as of right now it just appears that she is trying to make dany go mad. Although.... "Remember the Undieing" "...mother of dragons,daughter of death..." She just says remember the undieing, she is obviously not specific, it could be a warning that she should trust no one, or something else....

My opinion regarding Daenerys bleeding at the end of Dance is that she is now fertile. In most cases....and I say "most", because I won't claim its medically impossible...but, menstruation is indicative of an egg passing through unfertilized. Typically if you aren't ovulating, you also won't be menstruating, so I see this as a sign that she is fertile once again and not miscarrying.

It's kind of a word puzzle, this statement by Quaithe. She makes it sound like her words are a warning when she lists the Sun's son, etc, but then she says "remember the undying". Well, the undying did provide her with visions of the future, but they were trying to trap her also and suck the life force from her. Are we to view Quaithe in the same way? Is Quaithe providing prophecies for the future, but Daenerys should also beware of Quaithe and that she too just wants to suck the life force from her??? Either that or these people are real people coming in the near future, but if she allows herself to spend any amount of time with each that they will suck the life force from her? I can see how that could be the case, such as Victarion....Tyrion, not so much. I think Tyrion could be of great help to Daenerys.

My opinion regarding Daenerys bleeding at the end of Dance is that she is now fertile. In most cases....and I say "most", because I won't claim its medically impossible...but, menstruation is indicative of an egg passing through unfertilized. Typically if you aren't ovulating, you also won't be menstruating, so I see this as a sign that she is fertile once again and not miscarrying.

It's kind of a word puzzle, this statement by Quaithe. She makes it sound like her words are a warning when she lists the Sun's son, etc, but then she says "remember the undying". Well, the undying did provide her with visions of the future, but they were trying to trap her also and suck the life force from her. Are we to view Quaithe in the same way? Is Quaithe providing prophecies for the future, but Daenerys should also beware of Quaithe and that she too just wants to suck the life force from her??? Either that or these people are real people coming in the near future, but if she allows herself to spend any amount of time with each that they will suck the life force from her? I can see how that could be the case, such as Victarion....Tyrion, not so much. I think Tyrion could be of great help to Daenerys.

I am a mother. I know what menstruation is. lol

Yea, I think I have put a lot of wishful thinking into it. Why cant it be a miscarriage and and sign of fertility both ?? I read a decent thread about how the bitter berries she ate were what caused her to lose the baby , the Dothraki used a bitter drink like moon tea IIRC. So her being preggo was her fertility returning but she lost the baby due to the berries, and its probably not the best time for it either :dunno:

Its seems as if Quathe is intentionally/unintentionally making Dany paranoid (like her father).

When I first read Dany's 1st dream I came away with a different perspective:

Dany II AGoT said:

There are no more dragons, Dany thought, staring at her brother, though she did not dare say it aloud.

Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. “You woke the dragon,” he screamed as he kicked her. “You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon.” Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid …

Now I stopped short of the bolden script as this portion made me think of the Kal Drogo tent scene, the funeral pyre and the "birthing" of Dany's egg's.

• Her thigh slick with blood....was the birth of Rhaego.
  • Ripping sound and cracking of fire...sounds a lot like someone walking into a fire (Khal Drago)..
  • Visery's gone and in the midst, a dragon....possibly the hatching of her eggs.

I know I'm probably leaning a little too far over the edge but on the first pass through this quote, this is what first popped into my mind.

When I first read Dany's 1st dream I came away with a different perspective:

Dany II AGoT said:

Now I stopped short of the bolden script as this portion made me think of the Kal Drogo tent scene, the funeral pyre and the "birthing" of Dany's egg's.

• Her thigh slick with blood....was the birth of Rhaego.
  • Ripping sound and cracking of fire...sounds a lot like someone walking into a fire (Khal Drago)..
  • Visery's gone and in the midst, a dragon....possibly the hatching of her eggs.

I know I'm probably leaning a little too far over the edge but on the first pass through this quote, this is what first popped into my mind.

I agree with your interpretation that the blood on her thigh equates to the birth of her dragons. Specifically, her miscarriage of Rhaego (and the sacrifice of Drogo's horse) can best be tied into the rebirth of Viserion. That was the egg that Dany was holding the next morning when she felt something stirring within it.

Also Patchface's little ditty references blood on a thigh:

"Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye."

I believe that this does not necessarily refer to the Red Wedding but an upcoming an event:

Fool's blood may be Tyrion

King's blood may be Jon

Blood on the maiden's thigh may refer to Viserion.

I agree with your interpretation that the blood on her thigh equates to the birth of her dragons. Specifically, her miscarriage of Rhaego (and the sacrifice of Drogo's horse) can best be tied into the rebirth of Viserion. That was the egg that Dany was holding the next morning when she felt something stirring within it.

Also Patchface's little ditty references blood on a thigh:

"Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye."

I believe that this does not necessarily refer to the Red Wedding but an upcoming an event:

Fool's blood may be Tyrion

King's blood may be Jon

Blood on the maiden's thigh may refer to Viserion.

Not that quote, this quote :

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt a dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

I think her first one was of the birth of the dragons, but this was her second dream. I believe it applies to her current situation.

Archived