Warging into humans

Mithras

Majority of the people are obsessed with BR/Bran/Euron etc. warging into various people and doing some crazy things. there are hundreds of posts suggesting all kinds of crackpot ideas. Of course some of the people are not serious when they say X warged into Y and did Z while W was a secret Targ wearing the face of Q.

But there a lot more people who really think that warging into people is very likely.

First of all, warging into human is a shitty phrase. THERE IS NO WARGING INTO HUMANS. There are skinchangers who can wear the skins of animals. Wargs are the special kind of skinchangers who wear the skin of wolves. You can warg into your wolf. But you skinchange into a raven or in other words you can wear the skin of an eagle.

Secondly, the only case where we see a skinchanger slipping into a human is Bran/Hodor. This is not a general case because Hodor is some kind of a pet of Bran. He is half-witted and knows Bran all his life. There is already a strong connection between them. Even so, Bran is not very comfortable in skinchanging into Hodor. Although Hodor is retreating to a private place when Bran is in him, he is aware of what is going on around. It is the same for the animals too. You are sensing what the animal senses and you can give orders to the animal but the animal is awake all the time, they dont black out when skichanged.

Therefore, if some perople are "warged", then they surely notice what is going on. You cannot possess them as it happens in Supernatural.

Varamyr, already a powerful skinchanger, tried to skinchange into a spearwife but the woman got crazy. Even the snow bear, which has a simpler mind than a woman, goes crazy when Varamyr wears her skin.

Not all of the animals are for skinchanging. Wearing the skins of certain animals is hard even for the most powerful skinchangers. Humans are the most difficult. Even if any characters succeeded somehow to wear the skin of a human, he/she most likely would have driven the person mad. If that person remained sane, he/she certainly would have remembered the person inside her and let the readers know about it.

In short, it is not happening. BR does not "warg" into humans. Bran does not "warg" into humans except Hodor, who is more like an animal than a human. Euron does not "warg" into humans. He is not a skinchanger anyway.

Majority of the people are obsessed with BR/Bran/Euron etc. warging into various people and doing some crazy things. there are hundreds of posts suggesting all kinds of crackpot ideas. Of course some of the people are not serious when they say X warged into Y and did Z while W was a secret Targ wearing the face of Q.

But there a lot more people who really think that warging into people is very likely.

First of all, warging into human is a shitty phrase. THERE IS NO WARGING INTO HUMANS. There are skinchangers who can wear the skins of animals. Wargs are the special kind of skinchangers who wear the skin of wolves. You can warg into your wolf. But you skinchange into a raven or in other words you can wear the skin of an eagle.

Secondly, the only case where we see a skinchanger slipping into a human is Bran/Hodor. This is not a general case because Hodor is some kind of a pet of Bran. He is half-witted and knows Bran all his life. There is already a strong connection between them. Even so, Bran is not very comfortable in skinchanging into Hodor. Although Hodor is retreating to a private place when Bran is in him, he is aware of what is going on around. It is the same for the animals too. You are sensing what the animal senses and you can give orders to the animal but the animal is awake all the time, they dont black out when skichanged.

Therefore, if some perople are "warged", then they surely notice what is going on. You cannot possess them as it happens in Supernatural.

Varamyr, already a powerful skinchanger, tried to skinchange into a spearwife but the woman got crazy. Even the snow bear, which has a simpler mind than a woman, goes crazy when Varamyr wears her skin.

Not all of the animals are for skinchanging. Wearing the skins of certain animals is hard even for the most powerful skinchangers. Humans are the most difficult. Even if any characters succeeded somehow to wear the skin of a human, he/she most likely would have driven the person mad. If that person remained sane, he/she certainly would have remembered the person inside her and let the readers know about it.

In short, it is not happening. BR does not "warg" into humans. Bran does not "warg" into humans except Hodor, who is more like an animal than a human. Euron does not "warg" into humans. He is not a skinchanger anyway.

Well Varmyr was on deaths door when he tried to warg (sorry, its just easier to use that term) Thistle. Even so he almost had her.

It seems likely that you are right in that the warg-ee would be aware of the warg-er, The fact that Hodor seems to more or less get used to it leads us to believe he is aware that it has happened before.

Thats why I buy The Dusky Woman as a warg-ee, She is something of a creature and incapable of explaining whats going on.

Plus if I needed a wargee I would make sure they knew I could make them hurl themselves overboard or smash their own heads into the wall if they displeased me..

I'm fairly certain most readers, at least on this forum, understand the definitions of warg and skinchanger. Since you chose to use "warg" within your post when clearly you meant skinchanger, you pobably realize that warg is preferable in informal discussion as it's a simpler verb.

I agree that it's probably not easy or plausible for rampant human warging to be happening. However, Varamyr isn't a great example of why. He was nearly dead himself when he tried to slip Thistle's skin. Surely the fact that he was severely injured and close to death accounts for some reasons why he wasn't able to successfully warg Thistle. Also, I think it was mentioned how much Varamyr's animals hated him likely due to mistreatment.

Also, this...

How is Hodor more animal than human? That's a pretty offensive statement.

Going into humans probably not attempted much by skinchangers since its one of Haggons abominations.

Most of the skinchangers we see are from north of the wall, they all likely are aware of the code that Haggon preached

I agree with this. It's just like how violating guest right is rarely attempted due to a strict cultural taboo, but as we saw, it's not impossible for the violation to occur. It's probably not easy like, say, warging a wolf and very unlikely to be a frequent problem due to it be morally wrong and also a taboo.

Going into humans probably not attempted much by skinchangers since its one of Haggons abominations.

Most of the skinchangers we see are from north of the wall, they all likely are aware of the code that Haggon preached

If going into humans isn't possible there wouldn't be a rule against it

It might be possible for the most powerful skinchangers. but i believe the main reason he made the rule was to not only prevent a human from trying taking over another human but also to prevent self harm for the skinchanger. If someone was to go into the mind of another human, i would imagine that his own personality would be affected. humans aren't submissive like dogs or cats, their minds are more powerful, and if you were to go into the mind of someone i would imagine that the process wouldn't leave you unscathed.

A thing that makes me wonder about Haggons rules. Does it mean don't go into a man without his permission? Or just no doing it at all even with consent?

Say if I had a friend who could warg I would most definitely let them "warg" or whatever the correct verb, into me just to see what it's like. Wouldn't most people? Idk, would you let a friend do it to you?

A thing that makes me wonder about Haggons rules. Does it mean don't go into a man without his permission? Or just no doing it at all even with consent?

Say if I had a friend who could warg I would most definitely let them "warg" or whatever the correct verb, into me just to see what it's like.

I think Haggon means that skinchangers should never enter other humans. I think this primarily because of the temptation associated with such an action. For instance, if your friend gave you consent to warg into him/her, you might find yourself excited by the idea of controlling another person, and might be tempted to continue to do so, even without consent.

Where does it say that? I was under the impression that warging and skinchanging were two words for the same thing.

Where does it say that? I was under the impression that warging and skinchanging were two words for the same thing.

Warging is specific to skinchanging into wolves. Skinchanging is basically the 'umbrella' term for entering any other animal/being. On the forum, many of us prefer using warging instead of skingchanging, because of how clunky the latter term is.

The skinchanger wiki article cites a So Spake Martin article about a 2007 GRRM public appearence where he says a warg is one who can do it with wolves and dogs

No transcript is given of the interview, it is second hand account as far as I know, I don't doubt that he said it though

My thinking is that when GRRM wrote Bran is the only person known to slip into a human, he actually meant it. Bran is the only human to slip into a human. I think a lot of the things we are told cannot be done, will be done by Bran. For example, BR told Bran he couldn't communicate with his father through the weirwood. I believe he will successfully talk to someone.

My thinking is that when GRRM wrote Bran is the only person known to slip into a human, he actually meant it. Bran is the only human to slip into a human. I think a lot of the things we are told cannot be done, will be done by Bran. For example, BR told Bran he couldn't communicate with his father through the weirwood. I believe he will successfully talk to someone.

We already know this to be fact when Theon is in the godswood. The wind blows and Bran says "Theon"

In a later chapter, Bran does exactly this after seeing Theon. It can be done.

Archived