Ok, I am stupid...how long is a fortnight?

Juli

It's one of the terms that makes British English (or just English as they like to say) even worse that NA English. A lot of these cutesy historical terms are still thrown around quite often for no apparent good reason other than linguistic tradition.

Or it could just be a quick way to say "about two weeks".

So it's expediency when maybe half the world has no idea what you are talking about?

I watch craploads of British television (thank you Youtube), and I know what it means, but most people don't so, you know...

Absolutely, we should change our way of speaking and get rid of words because someone on the other side of the planet who has no bearing on our existence might not know what it means. Or, more likely, we shouldn't give a toss :)

Absolutely, we should change our way of speaking and get rid of words because someone on the other side of the planet who has no bearing on our existence might not know what it means. Or, more likely, we shouldn't give a toss :)

I would adore a unified world language, and some of the more popular scientists also want that to develop. To me it's more about scientific advancement than cultural history, so sorry, I understand your position, but I will never agree with it.

At least fortnight has a long tradition to it, you guys are just taking the piss with some of the lingo you've adopted in the last little while (assuming your are from Scottland/England/Ireland). Maybe Canadians are the last bastion of real English because we can't rely on the Americans to stay on the straight and narrow these days either.

So it's expediency when maybe half the world has no idea what you are talking about?

I watch craploads of British television (thank you Youtube), and I know what it means, but most people don't so, you know...

Hmm, I'll have to think about what you said. Give me a moon's turn to ponder it.

Everyone in Britain knows what it means and wouldn't you know it most of the people we interact with on a day to day basis are fellow brits.

Archived