What is The Sorrows

I would love to know more about the Sorrows (the ruins along the Rhoyne)

What/who exactly is the Shrouded Lord?

Why are there so many people with greyscale there? It seems to me that if the Sorrows is a know area to be infected with greyscale, most people would stay away, yet there appears to be a pretty significant amount of "stone men" there.

How did the area get to be the way it is? If it was once a thriving city, I doubt it was always covered in a foreboding mist. What caused the change?

So many questions!

I would love to know more about the Sorrows (the ruins along the Rhoyne)

What/who exactly is the Shrouded Lord?

Why are there so many people with greyscale there? It seems to me that if the Sorrows is a know area to be infected with greyscale, most people would stay away, yet there appears to be a pretty significant amount of "stone men" there.

How did the area get to be the way it is? If it was once a thriving city, I doubt it was always covered in a foreboding mist. What caused the change?

So many questions!

The Sorrows is the ancient capital of the Rhoynar, destroyed by the Valyrians after/during the rebellion of Garin.

It seems that the area around the Sorrows is cursed, and it perpetually infected with Greyscale. It could be a supernatural effect, or it could be just the wet climate (and the fact that they send infected people there).

There are people living there because the Volantene use it as a leper colony, sort of like Molokai's. They send their infected there, and also they periodically send them food.

The Shrouded Lord is mostly a legend. Some say he's Garin himself. Some say he's somebody else. Sometimes an infected man forms a gang and makes himself "Lord" of the Sorrows (I guess they mostly hog all the food they are sent and maybe attack passing ships to steal women and food), and people call him the Shrouded Lord.

Anyway, I doubt we will ever get a scientific explanation about most of the "magical" stuff and frankly said, this is the way I like it. Better to leave the explanation to the readers' imagination than to try and find some pseudo-scientific BS just "to make the story more believable".

I agree wholly. I really enjoyed the Sorrows for this very reason; they are very mysterious and it's all up to the reader to interpret them. It also gave me the chills, which was a pleasant surprise.

I had the feeling the fog is supernatural in origin because of the phenomena Tyrion and gang stumbled across while going through the Sorrows. Especially returning to the bridge after crossing it.

I have often wondered about that. It's like some sort of "Escher"ian river where a floating boat that takes the wrong fork will somehow lead one back under the bridge. And if an unfortunate passing boat does take that wrong fork, the frightful greyscale beings in the Sorrows get to plan and attack (like what happened to Tyrion, JonCon and Co). Was it a supernatural occurence, or some sort of geographical anomaly? Note that after the 2nd time through the bridge area, they must have taken the "correct" fork and continued downstream. ;)

Archived