[Spoilers] The Princess and the Queen, complete spoilers discussion

chrisdaw

Viserion and Rhaegal are in captivity and still growing.

but it wasn't for very long (like a few months), plus the cave or whatever Dany has them in is freaking enormous, much bigger than the cages at KL. She didn't have them chained down, they were free to burrow and move around the cave as they wanted. And they are getting out now thanx to Quentyn. I dont think their stint in the caves is going to have any long-term affect on them.

but it wasn't for very long (like a few months), plus the cave or whatever Dany has them in is freaking enormous, much bigger than the cages at KL. She didn't have them chained down, they were free to burrow and move around the cave as they wanted. And they are getting out now thanx to Quentyn. I dont think their stint in the caves is going to have any long-term affect on them.

They absolutely were chained in the depths of the pyramid of Meereen. One (or both, I cannot recall atm) had broken their chains.

Just wanna add that in addition to space to grow their food supply is also supposed to be a factor. Drogon can eat as many sheep and little girls as he wants while the other two are probably fed once or twice a day.

Being locked away (in a cave in this specific case) will slow their growth. It won't halt their growth immediately, if it ever even will.

still GRRM needs fast growing dragons since he gave up the 5 year gap.

Dany´s dragons could be special since they were hatched by a miracle/blood and fire spell, so may be they don´t need a volcano to grow fast.. :dunno:

still GRRM needs fast growing dragons since he gave up the 5 year gap.

Dany´s dragons could be special since they were hatched by a miracle/blood and fire spell, so may be they don´t need a volcano to grow fast.. :dunno:

Well, the dragons are free now, so they'll get the oppertunity to grow as fast as Drogon has been doing (who wasn't locked away, and is now larger than his brothers). Drogon being the biggest seems a parallel to Balerion the Black Dread, who was also the biggest of the three. So Drogon needed an growth spurt compared to the other two dragons. And now he has :)

The eggs hatched by the Greens, or some of them, may not have been born on Dragonstone, given that it was Rhaenyra's seat for quite a while. It's doubtful Alicent and her kids spent much time there. So the dragons of the Greens accounted for most/all of the dragons who did most of their growing in the pit, while the dragons of the Blacks were largely raised on Dragonstone.

That said, Aegon II was probably Sunfyre's first rider, but Aemond obviously didn't hatch Vhagar, and Tessarion is uncertain, though I lean towards him being hatched by Daeron.

Also, it seems like the size differences as they pertain to "where the dragons were raised" doesn't really enter the narrative of tPatQ as a factor or point of interest. Somewhat curious, but I guess it just didn't matter.

Netty and her dragon obviously lived. they could be anywhere.

Yes but how does a dragon just disappear never to be heard from again? There has to be something there.

The eggs hatched by the Greens, or some of them, may not have been born on Dragonstone, given that it was Rhaenyra's seat for quite a while. It's doubtful Alicent and her kids spent much time there. So the dragons of the Greens accounted for most/all of the dragons who did most of their growing in the pit, while the dragons of the Blacks were largely raised on Dragonstone.

That said, Aegon II was probably Sunfyre's first rider, but Aemond obviously didn't hatch Vhagar, and Tessarion is uncertain, though I lean towards him being hatched by Daeron.

Also, it seems like the size differences as they pertain to "where the dragons were raised" doesn't really enter the narrative of tPatQ as a factor or point of interest. Somewhat curious, but I guess it just didn't matter.

Sunfyre was born on Dragonstone, as was Vhagar. I can't say where the other 2 were born for certain. But Vhagar was born on Dragonstone inbetween the Targs moving there and invading westeros.

It may be that the whole story about 'the Dragonpit dragons' not reaching the size of the older dragons may just be a story, after all. We can now pinpoint that Aegon's dragons, as well as the dragons of Aegon's children and grandchildren only were (partially) housed in the Dragonpit after it was finished during the reign of Maegor the Cruel. If the political situation in TPatQ is an indication then the Prince of Dragonstone did actually reside on Dragonstone, which would in turn indicate that his dragon, the dragon of his wife, and the dragons of his children were not housed in the Dragonpit. In fact, it seems to me that the Prince of Dragonstone was actually in charge of most of the Targaryen dragons and their eggs/offspring, since it seems that the Targaryen dragons mated on Dragonstone.

Thus the Dragonpit would have only housed the dragons of the king and queen and those members of the royal family that lived permanently in King's Landing. Which would be Vermithor and Silverwing throughout the reign of Jaehaerys, and the dragon of Viserys I throughout his reign, possibly Ceraxes as well, and Syrax during Rhaenyra's youth. But we don't know where Dreamfyre, Balerion, and Vhagar were kept during the reign of Jaehaerys and Viserys. Did they have riders during most of this time? Lived their riders permanently on Dragonstone or in KL?

Vermithor was supposedly the largest dragon after Vhagar died, and we have to assume that he spent most of Jaehaerys' reign in the Dragonpit. This does not exactly indicate that the dome slowed his growth, or does it?

Yes but how does a dragon just disappear never to be heard from again? There has to be something there.

Sunfyre was born on Dragonstone, as was Vhagar. I can't say where the other 2 were born for certain. But Vhagar was born on Dragonstone inbetween the Targs moving there and invading westeros.

I know Vhagar was born on Dragonstone, I think you may have misinterpreted. How do we know Sunfyre was born there? Perhaps I missed the reference.

I know Vhagar was born on Dragonstone, I think you may have misinterpreted. How do we know Sunfyre was born there? Perhaps I missed the reference.

And there Aegon might have remained, hidden yet harmless, dulling his pain with wine and hiding his burn scars beneath a heavy cloak, had Sunfyre not made his way to Dragonstone. We may ask what drew him back to the Dragonmont, for many have. Was the wounded dragon, with his halfhealed broken wing, driven by some primal instinct to return to his birthplace, the smoking mountain where he had emerged from his egg? Or did he somehow sense the presence of King Aegon on the island, across long leagues and stormy seas, and fly there to rejoin his rider?

Well, the dragons are free now, so they'll get the oppertunity to grow as fast as Drogon has been doing (who wasn't locked away, and is now larger than his brothers). Drogon being the biggest seems a parallel to Balerion the Black Dread, who was also the biggest of the three. So Drogon needed an growth spurt compared to the other two dragons. And now he has :)

They are free now. I really dont think spending a few months in the cave is going to alter their growth in any real way. It's like Blackfish at Seaworld, it takes a few years of captivity to really affect the animal.

I Agree, I hope we do find out what happened.

But isn't Drogon significantly bigger than the other two?

He has been the whole time, there havent been any comparisons since Rhaegal and Viserion went in the cave and Drogon stayed free. The way Quentyn describes the dragons in the cave, they sound pretty big to me, definitely big enough to ride, just like Drogon. But I am sure he will always be the biggest of the three.

But isn't Drogon significantly bigger than the other two?

As I said it may be a result of him being able to eat whenever he wants and/or the captivity thing. Also Drogon was always the largest, even before they hatched

...standing over the dragon’s eggs that Illyrio had given her when she wed. She touched one, the largest of the three, running her hand lightly over the shelf. Black-and-scarlet, she thought, like the dragon in my dream.

Archived