When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

Yes, the world book is the work of a maester.

just wondering. You guys mentioned that a longer version of the Dance of the Dragons would be in the world book as well.

Will this be the same story that was in Dangerous Women or will it be a diffrent version of the Dance of the Dragons, told from a diffrent maesters perspective

sorry, this has just been something on my mind after reading Dangerous Women

It will be our maester's take on the Dance of the Dragons, in a format that condenses a lot of detail; this maester will use the source material for "The Princess and the Queen" (as well as other sources) in putting together his narrative ... but it does cover the war from start to finish, lists details on all the involved dragons and most of the notable personages, lists most of the significant battles, and so on, unlike "The Princess and the Queen".

It will be our maester's take on the Dance of the Dragons, in a format that condenses a lot of detail; this maester will use the source material for "The Princess and the Queen" (as well as other sources) in putting together his narrative ... but it does cover the war from start to finish, lists details on all the involved dragons and most of the notable personages, lists most of the significant battles, and so on, unlike "The Princess and the Queen".

cool, so it will be the same story, just told by a diffrent person and with more details

still should be pretty awesome to read

thanks

Is it really that hard to stay on topic?

In any case, no, the world book is not "the same story", if you mean it's just GRRM's text edited in a new way. The account of the Dance of the Dragons in the world book was written by Linda and myself, based on what GRRM provided us (and with some direct quotes from his work), whereas TPatQ is GRRM's text edited to fit the requirements of the anthology in which it was published. Neither TPatQ and the world book will contain every single detail in Martin's original "The Dying of the Dragons" text, but between them they do cover a significant portion of the details.

Is this addressed to me? Or to the posts which appear?

On topic. I think it is coming out 10/28/14. But I'm not sure. And apparently no-one else is. What else is there to say?

ETA: A definition of "on topic" might help.

Neither TPatQ and the world book will contain every single detail in Martin's original "The Dying of the Dragons" text, but between them they do cover a significant portion of the details.

Sorry if this is straying off topic, but that's what the larger 80,000ish word piece that The Princess and The Queen is based on is called? does that suggest that it continues past the end of the dance and covers the death of the last dragon? I don't suppose you'd be willing to disclose what (if any) other historical pieces Martin has written that are sources for the world book? I know of the ones he has read from about The Conquest and the Sons of the Dragon. I'm hoping he'll keep reading from more of them at conventions.

The opening of TPatQ notes that Archmaester Gyldayn believes "The Dying of the Dragons" would be a more accurate name then "The Dance of the Dragons", but the singers had their way. It covers the Dance from its start to its end. The death of the last dragon is covered elsewhere.

The opening of TPatQ notes that Archmaester Gyldayn believes "The Dying of the Dragons" would be a more accurate name then "The Dance of the Dragons", but the singers had their way. It covers the Dance from its start to its end. The death of the last dragon is covered elsewhere.

Ah ok, thanks for taking the time to clarify.

In any case, no, the world book is not "the same story", if you mean it's just GRRM's text edited in a new way. The account of the Dance of the Dragons in the world book was written by Linda and myself, based on what GRRM provided us (and with some direct quotes from his work), whereas TPatQ is GRRM's text edited to fit the requirements of the anthology in which it was published. Neither TPatQ and the world book will contain every single detail in Martin's original "The Dying of the Dragons" text, but between them they do cover a significant portion of the details.

ohh, alright

thanks for clearing that up. Was a bit confussed

still can't wait to read it

A history of Westeros from the Dawn Age to the end of Robert's Rebellion, with special attention given to the unification of the Seven Kingdoms and the reign of the Targaryens, followed by a geography and sort of cultural-historical overview of the various lands and peoples of Essos, the Summre Isles, and Sothoryous (not exhaustive, by any means -- Essos alone is enormous, and the variety of people and places in the known world, each with their histories, would require volumes we do not have). There will be illustrations galore of people, places, and noteworthy events from artists both familiar and unfamiliar, maps by Michael Gellatly, family trees for the Targaryens and Starks (and perhaps other families besides), quotes from various texts in the setting, the occasional airing of scholarly disputes. All penned by an eager young maester attempting to explain such a vast set of topics in a concise way.

I don't think "She-Wolves of Winterfell" is an actual working title. I believe it was invented by fans and Martin has never used it.

GRRM used it, but in the sense of 'the Dunk and Egg novella featuring the She-Wolves of Winterfell', so a descriptor more than a title. IIRC, it's been pointed out that THK, TSS and TMK titles all specifically refer to Dunk, so the fourth one should as well and GRRM had agreed that would make sense. Not that he'll stick to a title scheme if he comes up with a better idea (hence Book 6 abandoning the 'A' start to the title).

is there like a list on what will he included in the book

A history of Westeros and Essos, with specific and detailed focus on the period since Aegon's Conquest. Family trees for (at least) House Targaryen and House Stark, far more detailed than in the novels. Beyond that, I'm not too sure. Some information on the new locations on the Lands of Ice and Fire maps, but not much. I think at one point a full cast of characters for the books was mooted, but I can't recall Ran saying if that's survived to the final volume. Lots of art, as well, some of which has been seen before (like Ted Nasmith's castle images).

ETA: Or what Ran said :)

GRRM used it, but in the sense of 'the Dunk and Egg novella featuring the She-Wolves of Winterfell', so a descriptor more than a title. IIRC, it's been pointed out that THK, TSS and TMK titles all specifically refer to Dunk, so the fourth one should as well and GRRM had agreed that would make sense. Not that he'll stick to a title scheme if he comes up with a better idea (hence Book 6 abandoning the 'A' start to the title).

I for one hope that he keeps The She-Wolves of WF as a title. It just has a certain ring to it.

Another question but will we get complete illustrations of all 9 the Great Houses?

Also this book seems huge!! And I'm really glad for GRRM and the other people working on this book, I appreciate the work more.

And Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! About Stark and Targaryen family trees my favorite houses

Archived