When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

Aw, no Lannister family tree?! Was the "unexpected ancestor" a cruel tease, then? Or ist it a confirmation that s/he will appear in either Targaryen or Stark genealogy?

The unexpected ancestor would have to be a Targ. There are too many hints that the Tyrion/Jaime/Cercei are Targs, and if they have Dragon somewhere farther back in their ancestry then they could all still be Tywin's children.

Histories of each region of Westeros, and discussion of each of the ruling houses, is also part of the world book.

Does each region get the same amount of coverage? Or are the histories of some regions covered in more detail than others?

E.G., say 3 pages on the history of the Stormlands, but maybe 12 pages on the history of the North, kind of thing?

There are differences, yes.

Cool, thanks.

I'm not asking for an answer on my speculation, but my estimate would be that the regions with more noteworthy historical events - resulting in more historical coverage - would likely be the North, Dorne and the Vale, with the North leading by a long shot.

The Vale was the entry point of the Andals into Westeros and the point from which their further incursions spread outward.

Dorne has the whole Rhoynar angle to cover, in addition to being the location of the original First Man kingdoms. The development of Oldtown will also require extensive coverage, although that might be covered under the Reach's history, despite the town itself likely predating the creation of the Kingdom of the Reach by many millenia.

And the North obviously has the most ancient history to cover, for obvious reasons.

All in all I can't wait.

Cool, thanks.

I'm not asking for an answer on my speculation, but my estimate would be that the regions with more noteworthy historical events - resulting in more historical coverage - would likely be the North, Dorne and the Vale, with the North leading by a long shot.

The Vale was the entry point of the Andals into Westeros and the point from which their further incursions spread outward.

Dorne has the whole Rhoynar angle to cover, in addition to being the location of the original First Man kingdoms. The development of Oldtown will also require extensive coverage, although that might be covered under the Reach's history, despite the town itself likely predating the creation of the Kingdom of the Reach by many millenia.

And the North obviously has the most ancient history to cover, for obvious reasons.

All in all I can't wait.

In addition to the Rhoynar invasion to be covered in Dorne, Dorne also had the Conquest of Dorne (by Daeron I), and the comming into the kingdoms (by Baelor and Daeron II). So yeah, I can see Dorne, the North and the Vale getting a bit more pages.

Question though - Since we'll be getting a Targaryen family tree (and a Stark one), but perhaps none of the other family trees, will the line of Daenerys Targaryen and Prince Maron Martell be shown until we reach Doran/Elia/Oberyn? They are part Targaryen, so perhaps they should be included in that family tree as well (just like Robert/Stannis/Renly)?

Also, it's killing me that I can't figure out whether or not Maron and Myriah were brother and sister, or that Myriah was the sister of Maron's father. Please tell me that it's in the World book, no matter in which form.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for Ran.

Will the World book reveal who Daella and Rhae married, and whether or not their descendants are still alive today? And who those descendants are?

Also, would those potential (great-grand)children count as Targaryens? Robert Baratheon had a Targaryen grandmother, yet he seemed to count as a Baratheon and a Baratheon alone.

Hmm, I hope it's in there somewhere! :)

I was also thinking... In the Hedge Knight it is mentioned that "there hasn't been a Trial of Seven for almost a century". Will we learn of this other Trial of Seven? It would place this trial some time in the reign of Viserys I, but I can't recall that his reign was all that troubled.

Will this be in the World book, or is this more something for the GRRMarillion?

I was also thinking... In the Hedge Knight it is mentioned that "there hasn't been a Trial of Seven for almost a century". Will we learn of this other Trial of Seven? It would place this trial some time in the reign of Viserys I, but I can't recall that his reign was all that troubled.

Will this be in the World book, or is this more something for the GRRMarillion?

Awesome question! Since D&E 1 is ~208 we're looking at around 110-120ish, I guess. The reign of Viserys I as you say, but notably after Rhaenyra is established as heir. The possibilities are pretty unlimited but it's fun to imagine Targaryens and the Kingsguard being involved again. Some kind of small chance exists that Prince Daemon and/or Ser Criston Cole were participants.

It could've even been a bit of a Blacks vs. Greens thing. Viserys would never let them openly fight, so someone with a grudge may have engineered this "legal" opportunity for bloodletting. Wild guess of course.

` I'm not sure if this has been asked, or even if it belong here. But I was wondering if the book will delve into the history of all the houses? And if so, will we get more info about the Great Houses (and especially the really old ones like Stark)?

I think we can be reasonably sure that Lord Viserys Plumm is indeed a son by Princess Elaena Targaryen and Ossifer Plumm. What remains mysterious is who was his real father if we assume that he was also the son who could not be fathered by the actual Plumm.

Since it's very likely that Elaena's unfortunate marriage to Ossifer Plumm was 'brokered' by Aegon the Unworthy, and since we now know from TPatQ that Elaena must have had a thing for older men, it would not surprise me if Aegon found it very amusing to marry her to a dying old man after her affair with Alyn Velaryon became publicly known (which most certainly was the case after she gave birth to her bastard twins). This must have happened before Elaena was married or else it would have been very difficult to prove that these children were bastards. I guess if she was caught while committing adultery (i.e. if she had her affair after being married) this would have caused a major scandal eventually forcing her to join the Faith and/or the Silent Sisters.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if it has been asked before but is there any information on how big the book is, page wise?

Apparently, 288.

I got that info from the wiki though, and it's likely to change as well anyway.

Yep, more info about all the Great Houses, including in some cases very detailed origins for families such as the Lannisters, Tullys, and Arryns.

Will their be any differentiation between historical fact from legend about any of the great houses.

Because I recall that in the first novel, House Lannister is rumor to been found by a Andal adventure whom married a daughter of the King of the Rock.

Archived