When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

• 2 weeks later...

AFAICT, the text is in and being edited and most, if not all, of the artwork is in as well. There was strong talk of bringing the book forwards to April to coincide with the launch of Season 4 of GoT, but that didn't happen, so I'd assume if April was theoretically possible then October is pretty much locked.

There are two publishers in this discussion. Some people seem to be missing that.

GRRM attempts to fulfill his obligations when realistically possible, as he's always done. I don't think anyone has to be anyone's "bitch" for that to be the case. And I'm rather not caring for the tone of some of these posts on the matter; they're sounding pretty vitriolic.

He has definitely got the D&E story written in partial draft form. It is not a project connected to the world book, however, and of course never was.

Ran,

I have become a huge fan of all things ASOIF, your site is a blessing to any "Fan" although it's a community more than a fandom. The community is inspiring to ones creative spirit both through art conversation while provoking deep interest in how GRRM built a World so large that it literally is alive.

To say the word " Bitch " referring to George or I would say Sir Martin feels like fighting words, if you called me a Bitch there's a possibility I would challenge you to physical combat without blunted weapons. All jokes aside the time that we are entitled to these future works is nonsense. Any artist with a base like this has paid his dues and all future work is a gift, he's not a complicated man and quite sure he became financially independent any years ago. Deadline agreements are more than likely multi layered, knowing his workload at this point in his writing career great care would have been taking to keep him from breaking a contract.

All of that is of course just my opinion other than the time of the entitled we share views there.

I certainly hopes this get finished as some of us have time constraints.

Say one has stage four Cancer and may or may not make it a few years, to go to the Mother before hearing the whole tale is a terrible thought, but true for I'm sure more than a couple if fans.

Rants are called rants for a reason

So in summary don't call out the man just support what we get winter is coming just not yet. Ran is in charge of the white ravens and will release them when the word comes from the New Mexico Citadel

Thanks again to Ran and his bride for the site love it!

• 4 weeks later...

It is interesting that Martin said today on his Not A Blog that he just finished writing the last piece for the World of Ice and Fire because I think, and judging from this thread it seems true, that most of us were under the impression that Marti had finished his part and the reason for the delay was because of issues with artwork. Oh well, happy it's done and we'll see it this year.

Now what is this about selective "ink spills"? That sounds troubling.

I like the cover art too. I don't like the "The official history of Westeros and the world of Game of Thrones" line, it should've just been "The official history of Westeros" and that's it. I mean, I know why they did it, but I think it'd be better without. Did they say how big it's going to be yet? Both the physical size of the book and amount of pages? I hope it's the size of a regular hardcover, and I hope it's long!

It is interesting that Martin said today on his Not A Blog that he just finished writing the last piece for the World of Ice and Fire because I think, and judging from this thread it seems true, that most of us were under the impression that Marti had finished his part and the reason for the delay was because of issues with artwork. Oh well, happy it's done and we'll see it this year.

Now what is this about selective "ink spills"? That sounds troubling.

We've been lied to is all. What else is knew; as a teacher I'm use to it

I don't think it was ever stated that George was absolutely done. Just mostly done. He's been mostly working on WINDS and others projects, I gather, putting aside the world book for awhile as we incorporated his vastly expanded Targaryen history into the world book. Now he wrapped up a couple of shorter pieces, since we were ready for it (well, one was intended as short, and came out a bit long... fans of the ironborn will be glad of that), and the time is approaching to finalize the text. I believe outside of working on a new draft of the very last piece (and maybe adding a short sidebar we keep thinking may be needed), copyedits is all that remains to be done on THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE before it can be called a complete and final manuscript.

I don't know how long it takes for Bantam to go from copyedited text to locked-in, final form text, but I suppose the final text will be accepted and approved this month or next... but then, I just said I don't know how long that takes, so ignore me on that point! Had Bantam settled on a Spring 2014 release, I suppose we would just have gotten the last material sooner... but some of the art would have had to have been excised. I should note that the art is indeed the last stuff that's going to be finished. We're still looking at draft and concept sketches over a year after some of these things were commissioned. If the book were utterly unillustrated, I suppose we would have had it out last year instead, but the artwork stretches the production timeline out.

And no, an unillustrated world book was never on the table. GRRM and Bantam always wanted a richly illustrated book, and I can't say I disagree.

Looking at George's post.... two points:

1) Re: ink spills, so far as I know we're only going to do that with one particular section that has already been discussed before.

2) Please do not take that cover art as final. I'm not sure that it is. It was a mockup last I knew. I shall check to see where the cover is at.

Ran, just to confirm, the map of Dorne on Michael Gatley's website with the huge stain over it is just for PR purposes, the actual map won't have a massive ink swirl over it?

Great news on the thing finally being done. Now for it to come out and then we'll start bothering you about Volume 2 ;)

Archived