When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

I think it's north of 200 illustrations at this point, maybe well north of it. Some of them are going to be pieces reused from FFG and other such things, I believe, but a very substantial portion is newly commissioned material.

As to word count, it's over 150,000 words (how much over, I don't know exactly yet). By way of comparison, I think the Jordan world book was 96,000 words or so, and about 100 illustrations.

That I can't say, I just look at what they send. They sometimes go through revisions without sending them through us, if there are obvious issues or what have you.

I like the Throne Room artwork on the cover, and I am pleased George is done, and that he was convinced to keep the "Other Lands" section in (he was asked about Essos, so I assume other lands will also include the information on Sothoryos Ran mentioned a while back?)

(well, one was intended as short, and came out a bit long... fans of the ironborn will be glad of that),

:bowdown: PRAISE THE LORD :cheers:

This news just made my day!

George claims he just finished the Ironborn/Iron Isles on his blog, so I am thinking a mixture of info qbout different families and cultures

I could be mistaken, but didn't the Ironborn cause some trouble during the Targ's rule

they get mentioned quite often in The Dunk and Egg stories

Just saw the blog entry of GRRM. No matter if it's the final cover art or not, it looks amazing :D !

I thought the cover had the Targ sigil on. Or was it changed?

No matter, thank the gods it's almost finished.

That's great news :D

And I understand it will look like it was written by a Maester for King Robert?

Would that then mean there will be a certain bias - for example, very few good things about Targaryens?

And the cover looks cool, even if it's not the final one

Fairly sure I've always said it was mostly done in respect to the writing, which is true. Getting that last few percent took awhile, but that's because no one was really working on it, as the art was and is the thing that tends to get finished last so it put less pressure on us having to finish the MS immediately and allowed George more time to work on TWoW and other things in the interim. But it's done now (well, it's more-or-less done; George's part is done, but editing continues).

The text is written by a maester, drawing on various other resources, with the intention of presenting it to the crown. Things may, perhaps, go a bit awry in the course of doing so... ;)

Such a beauty!!! :D Better looking than the one they use on the show, finally we're shown for real how it's supposed to look :)

I agree, that Iron Throne looks amazing. But if I'm not mistaken, I think GRRM posted a picture of what his idea of the Iron Throne was on his blog a few months ago. Same style as the one on the World of Ice and Fire book, but it was even larger, you should see if you can dig it up, it's a cool pic.

@Ran, do you know how big the actual book itself will be? Not how many pages, but the dimensions of the book? Will it be the size of a normal hardcover or more like a real coffee table book?

Archived