When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

Now he wrapped up a couple of shorter pieces, since we were ready for it (well, one was intended as short, and came out a bit long... fans of the ironborn will be glad of that), and the time is approaching to finalize the text.

Very glad to hear!

I think it's north of 200 illustrations at this point, maybe well north of it. Some of them are going to be pieces reused from FFG and other such things, I believe, but a very substantial portion is newly commissioned material.

As to word count, it's over 150,000 words (how much over, I don't know exactly yet). By way of comparison, I think the Jordan world book was 96,000 words or so, and about 100 illustrations.

Wow. Sounds very impressive. I was considering getting the ebook version, but if so much of it is illustrations I might have to get the actual book.

Trying to read the ebook version of this from my (even though large screen'd) cell phone might be a bit difficult though anyway, depending on how they do the ebook. Damn. After seeing the few sample pages of this, I can barely imagine how the ebook will look compared to the actual book.

Anyone know how ebook versions of these types of books usually look/are changed? I could imagine them just putting out the pages as they are through a sort of "pdf" file or whatever/however they do that through a kindle/epub file.

Now he wrapped up a couple of shorter pieces, since we were ready for it (well, one was intended as short, and came out a bit long... fans of the ironborn will be glad of that),

Awesome! The book sounds great and I think it will help alot to pass the time until TWOW.

I think it's north of 200 illustrations at this point, maybe well north of it. Some of them are going to be pieces reused from FFG and other such things, I believe, but a very substantial portion is newly commissioned material.

As to word count, it's over 150,000 words (how much over, I don't know exactly yet). By way of comparison, I think the Jordan world book was 96,000 words or so, and about 100 illustrations.

That's pretty amazing. I can't wait to see all of the artwork not to mention how much information is in the book!

I agree, that Iron Throne looks amazing. But if I'm not mistaken, I think GRRM posted a picture of what his idea of the Iron Throne was on his blog a few months ago. Same style as the one on the World of Ice and Fire book, but it was even larger, you should see if you can dig it up, it's a cool pic.

@Ran, do you know how big the actual book itself will be? Not how many pages, but the dimensions of the book? Will it be the size of a normal hardcover or more like a real coffee table book?

Yeah, I know about that one. That was a beauty as well. Though this cover kind of makes it official that this is what it's supposed to look like :)

I wouldn't go that far. To be honest, that was one of a number of early mockups of the cover, and I believe it was before Simonetti completed his Iron Throne piece (in fact, Simonetti was chosen to depict the most definitive possible Iron Throne for the worldbook, and a number of other artists have then been pointed to it). It was one of the mockups George liked best, but the Iron Throne not looking quite right was already a known point.

I am 99% sure the cover will be at least somewhat different, but I'm waiting to hear back from our editor about where we are on that.

That's interesting. The page count for TWoIaF on Amazon was 288 when I last looked at it but today it's gone up to 400. Unlikely to be accurate (it sounds like a placeholder size) but it suggests they might be thinking it's more?

Ha. Amazon is recommending that people get the world book and the map collection together. That's a clever idea. I wonder if Voyager and/or Bantam will do a big companion set with both bundled together?

From the layouts I've seen, it will be nearer to 350 pages, give or take.... actually, it could well be nearer to 400. I can't give a final page count.

Going by your earlier numbers, 400 makes more sense if the equation with the Wheel of Time book is 150,000 words to 96,000 words for the WoT book.

That book was still 300 pages in hardcover, and apparantly with 100 fewer illustrations.

Ha. Amazon is recommending that people get the world book and the map collection together. That's a clever idea. I wonder if Voyager and/or Bantam will do a big companion set with both bundled together?

So are there going to be maps in the book or do we have to buy them separately?

Sorry I'm confused and what will the maps be of exactly?

There is already a Lands of Ice and Fire map book out, Werthead seemed to be pointing out that Amazon was suggesting it when viewing the World book. Not quite sure whether we will get mapsbor not, but dont we already have pretty much all the maps anyway from.the main series?
Also, where's the appropriate place to ask questions about the content of the World book?

Because I was wondering if we would get any Valyrian history - in tPatQ iirc, doesn't the 'author' claim that Maesters learn the history of Valyria?
ETA: Seems Ran is around, never mind :D

Ran,

any chance you give as a brief (or detailed) list of contents for the book? That would not be all that spoilery, and it could illuminate a lot of questions we all have on what topics the book focuses the most.

It could also be interesting to know which are the biggest sections. Considering that George seems to have delivered a lot of material it would be interesting to know if some topics are covered in much more details than others...

As to the new maps: Any new details that have not already been covered in the maps from 'The Lands of Ice and Fire'?

Yes, discussing PoD is rather irritating :lol:

I cant remember if I edited this in, but what about Valyrian History? Some Maesters apparently study it, at least according to tPatQ. It would make sense (at least to me)

Archived