When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

Mmm, would've preferred it to have been ASOIAF instead of AGOT, but nice title.

And if anyone hasn't heard I think the GRRMarillon has been called Fire and Blood.

ETA: Here's the quote from GRRM's blog

(And yes, sadly, "The Rogue Prince" is an abridged account as well. For the full version, you will all need to wait some years, until we publish the complete history of House Targaryen in the GRRMarillion... which, by the way, I've decided I am going to call FIRE AND BLOOD, since the GRRMarillion joke has grown somewhat stale by now).

Ran,

does the book include a dedication to 'Our Good King Robert' and/or is Robert's Targaryen heritage in any way mentioned or cited to back his claim to the Iron Throne? Even if the War of the Usurper is not covered by the book, this Yandel chap should/would be aware of the new regime, and the problem the Rebellion caused for the old dynasty...

...family trees for the Targaryens and Starks...

What would be the range of the Stark family tree? Will there be a full Torrhen-to-Robb list of the Lords of Winterfell?

And what about the Targaryen family tree? Will there be more details or would it be just putting all the characters from "The Princess and the Queen" and "Dunk and Egg" in genealogical context?

Yeah. There'll be information on the Summer Isles and Sothoryos and places in Essos as-yet-unheard-of in the books.

THE CITY OF THE WINGED MEN! :D

Bigger than a hardcover. More the oversized dimension of similar world books in the past, I think, not sure what the proper term for that is.

The size of "The Lands of Ice and Fire"?

TCD,

the Targaryen family tree will fully cover the Targaryens from Aegon to Daenerys, and perhaps also include some of Aegon's forebears up to Aenar.

The Stark family tree should also be pretty thorough, although Ran has already mentioned that not all third cousins through the female line will be in it.

RumHum,

I asked GRRM the same question on his NAB. Hopefully he'll comment on that one if the post is ever displayed...

I asked GRRM the same question on his NAB. Hopefully he'll comment on that one if the post is ever displayed...

I just checked the NAB and he has answered you.

Will these family trees contain spoilers such as R+L=J? I don't see how they couldn't if they are to be accurate.

They don't have to. The book is supposed to be Maester's work, presented to Robert prior to the events in AGOT.

BTW, people, let's make some distinctions.

"The World of Ice and Fire" is the upcoming world-book, which would be a coffee-table volume (whatever that means), between 200 and 400 pages long, richly illustrated and coming out (probably) in the end of this year.

"Fire and Blood" is the new (unofficial) name for the GRRMarillion, a book that will not come out (if it is published at all) until after the end of ASOIAF.

No, it does not say anything on that matter. Easiest way to see it is as an in-world family tree.

What would be the range of the Stark family tree? Will there be a full Torrhen-to-Robb list of the Lords of Winterfell?

And what about the Targaryen family tree? Will there be more details or would it be just putting all the characters from "The Princess and the Queen" and "Dunk and Egg" in genealogical context?

I just checked the NAB and he has answered you.

Just quoting his response here:

userinfo.gif?v=17080?v=112.2grrm

Mar. 12th, 2014 11:55 pm (UTC)
Re: Just a few questions
FIRE AND BLOOD is years away, so I can't say definitely what it will and will not cover... but much of the ancient history of Westeros will be covered in THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE. Each of the seven kingdoms gets its own detailed history.

Viserys I flew Balerion, I seem to recall. When the Black Dread died (of old age, not in war), he did not take a second dragon.

Just quoting his response here:

Viserys I flew Balerion, I seem to recall. Viserys I flew Balerion, I seem to recall. When the Black Dread died (of old age, not in war), he did not take a second dragon.

Well, isn't this interesting?

Archived