When is 'The World of Ice and Fire' coming out v.2

Didn't we already know that you only get one?

But it says that he (Viserys I) "did not take another one". So, it appears that he could have taken another one if he wanted to.

Didn't we already know that you only get one?

Lady Rhaena was trying to hatch a second egg.

Until now, all riders died before their dragons did, or they died together (not counting the few we don't know the order of death of). It suggests that it might be possible for a rider to have a second dragon, but only after the first dragon has died..

Or have I now forgotten a rider who did outlive his dragon and had a chance to get himself/herself another one? Viserys and Rhaena were the only ones, right?

Is this the first official confirmation we have received that Balerion died of old age? And if so, does this give us a natural life span for dragons of around 200 years?

Wasn´t that also confirmed during a reading once? That Balerion had died of old age, I mean?

If the natural life span of dragons is about 200 years, Vhagar was reaching his final years as well when he died.

But perhaps the life span of dragons varies just as much as that of humans. There are people who die of old age when they are 70, there are those who die for the same reasons when they are 90. Relatively speaking, for dragons, such a difference would be bigger (since they live longer in total).

Wasn´t that also confirmed during a reading once? That Balerion had died of old age, I mean?

If the natural life span of dragons is about 200 years, Vhagar was reaching his final years as well when he died.

But perhaps the life span of dragons varies just as much as that of humans. There are people who die of old age when they are 70, there are those who die for the same reasons when they are 90. Relatively speaking, for dragons, such a difference would be bigger (since they live longer in total).

Previously I believe it was stated he did not die in battle and that he died of natural causes. That is different from confirming he died of "old age".

Is this the first official confirmation we have received that Balerion died of old age? And if so, does this give us a natural life span for dragons of around 200 years?

Wasn't Balerion born in Valyria? Do we know how old Balerion was when the Targs took him to Dragon Stone?

Wasn't Balerion born in Valyria? Do we know how old Balerion was when the Targs took him to Dragon Stone?

No, Balerion's age when he arrived at Dragonstone is not known. He was already alive 112 BC, when the Targaryens arrived at Dragonstone, and died around the age of 200, before the Great Council in 101 AC. The exact year of his death isn't known.

Lady Rhaena was trying to hatch a second egg.

Until now, all riders died before their dragons did, or they died together (not counting the few we don't know the order of death of). It suggests that it might be possible for a rider to have a second dragon, but only after the first dragon has died..

Or have I now forgotten a rider who did outlive his dragon and had a chance to get himself/herself another one? Viserys and Rhaena were the only ones, right?

Yeah but she never bonded with her dragon, it hatched all messed up and promptly died. Aegon III outlived Stormcloud. He wouldn't have had many other dragons to choose from but there were a few left. Edit: Also Baela outlived Moondancer.

There's this quote from Tyrion Dany in Dance:

“One of them. All I know of dragons is what my brother told me when I was a girl, and some I read in books, but it is said that even Aegon the Conqueror never dared mount Vhagar or Meraxes, nor did his sisters ride Balerion the Black Dread. Dragons live longer than men, some for hundreds of years, so Balerion had other riders after Aegon died … but no rider ever flew two dragons.”

Yeah but she never bonded with her dragon, it hatched all messed up and promptly died. Aegon III outlived Stormcloud. He wouldn't have had many other dragons to choose from but there were a few left. Edit: Also Baela outlived Moondancer.

There's this quote from Tyrion in Dance:

But perhaps it's possible that if the dragon dies before the rider, and there are still dragons free to bond with, a rider can bond with a second dragon?

Completely forgotten about Baela! And Stormcloud...! *facepalm* And Rhaena never bonded with her dragon, that is true.

Perhaps we'll see with Baela, but there are only three dragons left that don't have a rider, the Canibal (unlikely to ever being ridden by a teenage girl), Grey Ghost (very shy), and the unnamed unknown dragon.

Perhaps we'll see Baela trying to bond with one of them. If the Targaryens believe it's possible, than it might be that it already happened before (before the Conquest, for example). She might not succeed, but as long as she thinks it is possible, than we know the chances are big that it can be done.

What Tyrion's quote also seems to suggest, to me at least, in the context, is that no rider ever flew two dragons while both dragons were still alive.

But perhaps it's possible that if the dragon dies before the rider, and there are still dragons free to bond with, a rider can bond with a second dragon?

Completely forgotten about Baela! And Stormcloud...! *facepalm* And Rhaena never bonded with her dragon, that is true.

Perhaps we'll see with Baela, but there are only three dragons left that don't have a rider, the Canibal (unlikely to ever being ridden by a teenage girl), Grey Ghost (very shy), and the unnamed unknown dragon.

Perhaps we'll see Baela trying to bond with one of them. If the Targaryens believe it's possible, than it might be that it already happened before (before the Conquest, for example). She might not succeed, but as long as she thinks it is possible, than we know the chances are big that it can be done.

What Tyrion's quote also seems to suggest, to me at least, in the context, is that no rider ever flew two dragons while both dragons were still alive.

Yeah it's possible that's the case, I guess it's still up in the air.

BTW Grey Ghost is dead, killed by Sunfyre and then eaten by the Cannibal if I'm not mistaken. Silverwing is still alive at the end of the story.

The quote in question is a Dany quote to Quentyn, not a Tyrion quote, but I always got the meaning that it meant that no one can ride another dragon while the other is still alive (proved to be true by Joffrey Velaryon), as well as that a dragonrider cannot bond with another dragon should his dragon predecease him.

But this may actually be wrong. Rhaenyra also believed she could ride another dragon, Aegon III could have claimed another dragon when he ascended the Iron Throne, but had no the slightest inclination to do such a mad thing. On the other hand, if it was possible, then Viserys could have chosen pretty much any dragon. Dreamfyre, Vhagar, Silverwing, Vermithor, eventually Seasmoke. Not to mention all the hatchlings.

Perhaps he did want to honor Balerion by not finding a replacement for him?

If a rider cannot claim another dragon after his mount died, then only Viserys II and Rhaena are potential Targaryen dragonriders at the end of TPatQ. Baela seems to have bonded with Moondancer, and Aegon III rode Stormcloud once (although it's very likely that he did not exactly 'claim' him during that incident).

If that's not the case, then all bets are off, and Aegon II may claim another dragon after Sunfyre's death, allowing to feed Grand Maester Gerardys to this new dragon, rather than to Sunfyre somewhere in between events. Although I can't imagine Aegon riding anything ever again in his life.

The quote in question is a Dany quote to Quentyn, not a Tyrion quote, but I always got the meaning that it meant that no one can ride another dragon while the other is still alive (proved to be true by Joffrey Velaryon), as well as that a dragonrider cannot bond with another dragon should his dragon predecease him.

Oops my mistake. I had it in my head it was something Tyrion said and didn't even check the context when I copied the quote.

The significance of Balerion dying of "old age" at around 200 years, is that it kind of discredits speculation that Sheepstealer - the dragon that flew off into the Bay of Crabs and was never seen again after the end of the Dance of the Dragons -, or the Cannibal - the oldest and biggest wild dragon from that time - may still be alive today - perhaps hidden on Skagos or some other remote place - as both of them would significantly exceed Balerions 200 year age, I believe.

Cannibal would be around 300 years old or more, right now.

The significance of Balerion dying of "old age" at around 200 years, is that it kind of discredits speculation that Sheepstealer - the dragon that flew off into the Bay of Crabs and was never seen again after the end of the Dance of the Dragons -, or the Cannibal - the oldest and biggest wild dragon from that time - may still be alive today - perhaps hidden on Skagos or some other remote place - as both of them would significantly exceed Balerions 200 year age, I believe.

Cannibal would be around 300 years old or more, right now.

But they could have laid eggs somewhere at a remote place, which hatched? Then no one would be around to see it.

Though the pyromancers line about their spells getting stronger, and their wonderings about if there might be dragons in the world again, since that would explain it, suggests that there was a time that there were no dragons at all.

Archived