The Blind Girl

aceluby

Just re-read this chapter last night and I have to say, this is BY FAR the best written chapter in the entire series. The vivid imagery that is described without sight is absolutely fantastic. Put on top of that the parallels it has to Arya's growth as a character; how quickly she is becoming a FM, how many characteristics she shares w/ her siblings, her new ability to control her skinchanging, and her facing her fears... in the complete dark... just wow. I wish there were more chapters like that.

I highly recommend going back and reading that chapter again and take it from a literary POV. It's truly wonderful.

"I know it is you who has been hitting me"

*Crack*

"How did you know?"

"That is a fourth question, I only have to tell you three new things."

That's a great part, but I still think the magic of the chapter lies in the descriptions and the parallels those descriptions have to the story as a whole. It's what every fictional writer aspires to do and GRRM just hits it out of the park w/ this chapter. The sounds, the smells, the way she's growing to count her steps w/out even thinking about it, how she grows... just wow. I think I'm going to re-read that chapter again once I'm done w/ my ADWD/AFFC reread.

I actually re-read this one last night myself. I have to agree very well written and as with most of the books better the second time around.

There was a line in the chapter that I found interesting, and I don't have the text with me at the moment so it's not be a direct quote, but when she woke up and said her "morning prayer" she thinks of how she hopes to taste their blood someday (talking about Cersie, The mountain ect) She is not long removed from a wolf dream when she says it, so it may just be because of that, but I found it interesting she made that reference and not something along the lines of stabing them with needle. Could that be some foreshadowing of her warging her wolf and going on a killing spree? Possibly dying and having her second life in Nymeria?

I just read this appropriate quote from Chekov this morning:

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”

GRRM does this awesomely throughout ASOIAF, and yes, this Arya chapter about her blindness is particularly well-shown! (Pun intended, but my sentiment is serious.)

That was just a fist pump moment though.

ETA: spelling

Most definitely.

I actually re-read this one last night myself. I have to agree very well written and as with most of the books better the second time around.

There was a line in the chapter that I found interesting, and I don't have the text with me at the moment so it's not be a direct quote, but when she woke up and said her "morning prayer" she thinks of how she hopes to taste their blood someday (talking about Cersie, The mountain ect) She is not long removed from a wolf dream when she says it, so it may just be because of that, but I found it interesting she made that reference and not something along the lines of stabing them with needle. Could that be some foreshadowing of her warging her wolf and going on a killing spree? Possibly dying and having her second life in Nymeria?

Could be. That dichotomy that she's feeling is expressed through the entire chapter. Seeing vs blind. Warg vs human. Arya vs No one. Lost vs found.

But what really gets me is the descriptions. How she figures out people by how heavy their steps are. How she can tell lies by imagining the facial movements. The intricacies of the smells that no other character has given up to this points. The descriptions of Bravos and how she is able to navigate blind.

Freaking awesome from a literary POV and completely different than anything given so far.

I just read this appropriate quote from Chekov this morning:

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.”

GRRM does this awesomely throughout ASOIAF, and yes, this Arya chapter about her blindness is particularly well-shown! (Pun intended, but my sentiment is serious.)

YES! I took some writing classes in college and in a similar light...

"Don't tell me what happened... show me."

Meaning, don't tell me that the character was scared, describe the surroundings in a way that portrays that w/out explicitly telling the reader. GRRM does do it throughout the tale, but this chapter is a standout one.

Archived