Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Was Dany pregnant?

In the last Dany chapter of ADWD Dany experiences severe cramps & then has her moonblood. She also remembers that she hadn't bled for some months now. ("The moon is still a crescent though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled.The last full moon. The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long.") So can it be possible she was pregnant. Did she miscarry after she took off with Drogon & was almost dying of thirst & hunger? But then wasn't she supposed to be barren after miscarrying Rhaego.

Or do the cramps & bleeding mean she contracted some disease by drinking the dirty water. Flux maybe?

That is no small question, she is not pregnant, maybe she can have kids, I am not that experienced in this matter though

Did Cersei have any part in the conspiracy of Jon Arryn's death?

Pycelle could have just been imagining things.

No, it was LF.

Does anyone know which house Pycelle was originally from before he went to the Citadel?

He could have been a lowborn, anyway nothing is said.

[...]

He could have been a lowborn, anyway nothing is said.

Possible of course, but Varys does imply that a commoner as grand maester would be quite the exception and the deliberations include lowborn candidates only pro forma:

[...] the Conclave accepted the fact of Pycelle's dismissal and set about choosing his successor. After giving due consideration to Maester Turquin the cordwainer's son and Maester Erreck the hedge knight's bastard, and thereby demonstrating to their own satisfaction that ability counts for more than birth in their order, the Conclave was on the verge of sending us Maester Gormon, a Tyrell of Highgarden. When I told your lord father [...]

But yeah, nothing concrete about Pycelle's ancestry is known. It wouldn't surprise me if he came from the Westerlands, but that's just speculation as well.

Is euron the only character we know of that has been there recently? Any evidence that he brought any other objects besides the dragon horn? I'd love to know more about Valyria. It just seems like it was the most important continent in this worlds history yet we know next to nothing. We've seen the influences on many dialects, their weaponry can't be matched, their people were all super powerful. Gimme some George, gimme some more! Btw yolk boy your theories are great. Thanks for chiming in!

Is euron the only character we know of that has been there recently? Any evidence that he brought any other objects besides the dragon horn? I'd love to know more about Valyria. It just seems like it was the most important continent in this worlds history yet we know next to nothing. We've seen the influences on many dialects, their weaponry can't be matched, their people were all super powerful. Gimme some George, gimme some more! Btw yolk boy your theories are great. Thanks for chiming in!

A question concerning the legal position of Lady Dustin. Why exactly is she still Lady of the House? After Lord William Dustin had died in Robert's Rebellion, shouldn't the lordship have passed to his closest living relative, whoever that may be? Same seems to have happened with Lady Hornwood who "named" Ramsey Snow as her heir, apparently giving him the rights to Hornwood lands. But why would that be as she was Lady Hornwood only through her husband and not in her own right (similar to the difference between Queen Regnant and Queen Consort or Queen Dowager).

The best answer to this seems to be that there is no single answer. Several examples have been given, but they're all very different situations. Ramsay's acquisition of both the Hornwood and Winterfell inheritances seems to be more by conquest or grant than marriage-- that is they were awarded to him by the Iron Throne after he "married" the heiresses and in exchange for his continued loyalty. We know there are other possible claimants to the Hornwood, and I doubt we've heard the last of it. There are other examples of women ruling after their husbands' deaths, like Lady Dustin and Lady Flint of Widows Watch. It's not clear that either of these women can pass the lordship along to whomever they please, or if it just resides with them during their lifetime. As suggested, it's possible Lady Dustin actually was in the Dustin succession. It's also possible we just don't know yet who the heir is. Lady Flint had a grown son (Robin) who rode with Robb and was killed at the RW. Her "advanced pregnancy" prevented her from attending the Winterfell harvest feast, yet there is no mention of a husband, or of her son Robin being the Lord or heir. She is clearly presented as the one in charge. Then we have Maege Mormont, sister and aunt of the previous lords, with her five daughters all bearing the Mormont name and not a husband in sight. In the Vale we have Lady Anya Waynwood, who is clearly stated to be the niece of Elys Waynwood. She has three children and no husband is ever mentioned. No doubt these women were all married at some point, and we know that a precedent for female heirs keeping their "maiden" names exists (see the legend of Bael the Bard) but at a certain point we have to admit that we have a host of female characters whose life patterns just don't follow what our RL history or experience would lead us to expect. Until we have a lot more information on the families of these women, it's rather hard to figure it out.

Personally, I like to think that GRRM is slyly filling his version of the medieval world with a bunch of "dangerous women" who will turn out to be running the show.

Was Harren the black from Iron islands? The one who built the Harrenhal? If so, it seems iron people had a part of riverrun before the Dragons came, right?

House Hoare (from which Harren came) ruled over the Iron Islands and Riverlands after the Andal invasion. So yes, the ironborn ruled over (parts of) the Riverlands prior to the Conquest.

Was Dany pregnant?

In the last Dany chapter of ADWD Dany experiences severe cramps & then has her moonblood. She also remembers that she hadn't bled for some months now. ("The moon is still a crescent though. How can that be? She tried to remember the last time she had bled.The last full moon. The one before? The one before that? No, it cannot have been so long.") So can it be possible she was pregnant. Did she miscarry after she took off with Drogon & was almost dying of thirst & hunger? But then wasn't she supposed to be barren after miscarrying Rhaego.

Or do the cramps & bleeding mean she contracted some disease by drinking the dirty water. Flux maybe?

In addition to my earlier post, perhaps you would like to check this out:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97707-drogos-speech-drogos-promisesdrogos-death/#entry5011550

It's a thread where I tried to explain the entire prophecy. The miscarriage/pregnant part is also there.

Calculated like many other ages/births, I believe that is maths/guesswork because Baelor was older than Daena and younger than Daeron, so it more like a 143-144 range.

Thank you! :D

Yeah, he is the only one and he said he even found a dragon egg and other things I believe, but I can't remember.

Was Harren the black from Iron islands? The one who built the Harrenhal? If so, it seems iron people had a part of riverrun before the Dragons came, right?

Yes, house hoare was from the iron islands. And the ironmen had the whole riverlands before the conquest, rivverun, the caste was ruled by the tullys. When Aegon landed they were the first to go on his side, that is how they became lord paramounts

Personally, I like to think that GRRM is slyly filling his version of the medieval world with a bunch of "dangerous women" who will turn out to be running the show.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Though, when speaking of various female heads of houses, all except Lady Dustin and Lady Hornwood seem be to be daughters and heiresses of their respective houses, they were not married into them.

Maege Mormont is a Mormont by birth and inherited Bear Island from her nephew Jorah. We know Anya Waynwood's uncle is a also a Waynwood, meaning she also probably rules in her own right and not through marriage. Lady Flint's son Robin, as you noted, wasn't lord of the house, which tells me she was also born a Flint and inherited the lands and titles probably because her father didn't have any sons or they had died before him.

That makes the position of Ladies Dustin and Hornwood rather unique where matters of inheritance are concerned. Maybe I should write a letter to Martin and ask for clarification :dunno: :)

That makes the position of Ladies Dustin and Hornwood rather unique where matters of inheritance are concerned. Maybe I should write a letter to Martin and ask for clarification :dunno: :)

True, they appear unique. Besides the "dangerous women" bit though, my point was that we know very little of the family history of House Dustin, and of course the Hornwood situation appears to be quite different from the Dustin one, with possible claimants on the horizon and what appears to be a royal grant of the property to a claimant who forcibly seized it.

Who knows-- Maybe GRRM would answer this question! Of course if it's at all significant, he'll just tell you to "keep reading" ;)

Seems like a somewhat silly question, but does anyone have a non electronic copy.of game of thrones and can tell me whether there seems to be an excessive use of exclamation marks and pretty bad punctuation? I have a feeling its just the kobo version but want to make sure.

(P.S. Does this question even belong here? Idk, sorry)

Seems like a somewhat silly question, but does anyone have a non electronic copy.of game of thrones and can tell me whether there seems to be an excessive use of exclamation marks and pretty bad punctuation? I have a feeling its just the kobo version but want to make sure.

(P.S. Does this question even belong here? Idk, sorry)

give me a sentence that you think has a extra exclamation mark/mistake and i will check it on my paperback

Does a noble house need to pay the Citadel for a Maester, or does the Citadel assign them one for free?

If not free, how much is it to buy the first Maester, or a replacement? Does the Maester choose which house he goes to, and does the house have any say in who is assigned to them?

In aGoT, Sansa III, Sansa mentions that before the villagers from Sherrer and after Yoren, two brothers, freeriders from the Dornish Marches, pledged their swords to the service of the king, and Eddard accepted their oaths. Have these two brothers been identified, and did they appear later in the books ?

Archived