Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

In aGoT, Sansa III, Sansa mentions that before the villagers from Sherrer and after Yoren, two brothers, freeriders from the Dornish Marches, pledged their swords to the service of the king, and Eddard accepted their oaths. Have these two brothers been identified, and did they appear later in the books ?

Anguy the archer was in King's Landing at this time, having just won the archery competition of the Tourney of the Hand. Anguy was born in the Dornish Marches.

He is later seen in the Brotherhood without Banners. Thus when Ned dispatches the Lightning Lord to kill The Mountain it's likely he is one of the men sent with Lord Beric.

It's mostly conjecture, but one can infer that Anguy is one of the two brothers that pledged his sword, and his brother likely died in the massacre that was the Battle at the Mummer's Ford.

Does a noble house need to pay the Citadel for a Maester, or does the Citadel assign them one for free?

If not free, how much is it to buy the first Maester, or a replacement? Does the Maester choose which house he goes to, and does the house have any say in who is assigned to them?

Every noble house gets a maester, I think, but there is no payment involved. All that is mentioned about this is that the Citadel sends maesters to castles. Doesn't sound like you have to pay for it. You would most likely have to send a raven that your maester is old/frail/dying or that he has died, so the Citadel knows when to send a replacement.

Anguy the archer was in King's Landing at this time, having just won the archery competition of the Tourney of the Hand. Anguy was born in the Dornish Marches.

He is later seen in the Brotherhood without Banners. Thus when Ned dispatches the Lightning Lord to kill The Mountain it's likely he is one of the men sent with Lord Beric.

It's mostly conjecture, but one can infer that Anguy is one of the two brothers that pledged his sword, and his brother likely died in the massacre that was the Battle at the Mummer's Ford.

Anguy didn't give a damn, unfortunately. Here's what happened after the Hand's Tourney:

That afternoon a boy named Anguy, an unheralded commoner from the Dornish Marches, won the archery competition, outshooting Ser Balon Swann and Jalabhar Xho at a hundred paces after all the other bowmen had been eliminated at the shorter distances. Ned sent Alyn to seek him out and offer him a position with the Hand’s guard, but the boy was flush with wine and victory and riches undreamed of, and he refused.

Anguy didn't give a damn, unfortunately. Here's what happened after the Hand's Tourney:

That afternoon a boy named Anguy, an unheralded commoner from the Dornish Marches, won the archery competition, outshooting Ser Balon Swann and Jalabhar Xho at a hundred paces after all the other bowmen had been eliminated at the shorter distances. Ned sent Alyn to seek him out and offer him a position with the Hand’s guard, but the boy was flush with wine and victory and riches undreamed of, and he refused.

Thanks to you both. So it's just Sansa mentioning an anecdotic audience

Thanks to you both. So it's just Sansa mentioning an anecdotic audience

You know, I've thought about that before, every time I read it, and I think it doea lead to something, probably something small and not too impactful, but it seems a bit odd for just color.

Personally, I like to think that GRRM is slyly filling his version of the medieval world with a bunch of "dangerous women" who will turn out to be running the show.

I like this. Also I'm not sure I believe Lady Dustin's absolute hatred of Ned. I've no proof but she's just so anti-Ned (and Stark in general) when she's in the crypts with Theon that for some reason I think it's all bs and she's playing a different game.

I never really "got" the Ironborn history. They are presented as being a race of "thieves and pirates", which we learn is related to the "Old Way". But if the Ironborn were originally from Black Harren's kin and ruled the Riverlands, wouldn't that mean they had to sew and reap? Somehow I don't think you can build the biggest, meanest, most expensive castle in Westeros just through plunder.

I never really "got" the Ironborn history. They are presented as being a race of "thieves and pirates", which we learn is related to the "Old Way". But if the Ironborn were originally from Black Harren's kin and ruled the Riverlands, wouldn't that mean they had to sew and reap? Somehow I don't think you can build the biggest, meanest, most expensive castle in Westeros just through plunder.

Remember that Black Harren lived during Aegon's conquest, so only 300 years ago, and we can assume that if they were still practicing the old way then, they probably had to tone it down after the Seven Kingdoms were united.

As to how he got the cash to build Harrenhall, I'll quote you from ASOIAF wiki:

Harren was born to House Hoare, the ruling house of Iron Islands. He was the grandson of Harwyn Hardhand, the Iron King who extended the ironborn rule over the Riverlands from the Neck to the Blackwater Rush.

During his reign, Harren was a vain, bloody tyrant. Hated by those he ruled, he continued the construction of the grand castle Harrenhal, a project that took three generations to complete. The Riverlands were drained to finance the building, with thousands of captives from around dying in the quarries chained to sledges or laboring on the towering walls and five huge towers of Harrenhal. Weirwoods were cut to provide rafters and beams.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Harren_Hoare

So basically it looks like his grandfather took over the Riverlands, and then the three generations of Hoares sucked the lands dry in order to build the castle.

Still it is a bit of a shift isn't it? I mean sure Asha feels at home in Deepwood Motte ordering around the serving people as she pleases, but I still don't understand how you can go from "race of plundering pirates" to "lords sitting in a hall on land" so quickly. I mean, how long did it take the Mongols to go from raiders on horseback to an empire that spanned across Asia?

Still it is a bit of a shift isn't it? I mean sure Asha feels at home in Deepwood Motte ordering around the serving people as she pleases, but I still don't understand how you can go from "race of plundering pirates" to "lords sitting in a hall on land" so quickly. I mean, how long did it take the Mongols to go from raiders on horseback to an empire that spanned across Asia?

Heh, I don't know what got the Hoares to invade the Riverlands, but later on I'd say the possibility of having a dragon roast your longship if you don't behave forced them to withold from too much reaving and raping for a while. It seems evident that the Ironborn of king Robert's era still felt an itch to go back to the old way, I'm guessing that's why they rebelled in the first place.

Is young Griff truly a Targaryen? Aegon 6th or 7th?

It's being discussed controversially, with the majority of the forum leaning towards the opinion that he isn't, and many believing him to be a descendant of a bastard branch of House Targaryen instead (House Blackfyre). Still, there are arguments to be made in both directions and it's a very fun question to talk about. Not a small one though ;-)

Well that was the fastest response ever :) It is really mentioned here on this forum? I had some doubts, and didn't truly believe he actually is a ˝dragon˝. The story line seems to be a bit 'over inflated' to me.

It's being discussed controversially, with the majority of the forum leaning towards the opinion that he isn't, and many believing him to be a descendant of a bastard branch of House Targaryen instead (House Blackfyre). Still, there are arguments to be made in both directions and it's a very fun question to talk about. Not a small one though ;-)

I will mindchap... Another one, is Tyrion infected with grey scale?

Or search for the "is Aegon real?" Actually, perhaps it would be easier to simply search for Aegon. I haven't really figured out which searching option yields the best results on the forum :p

Tyrion doesn't seem to be infected. If we assume JonCon got infected when saving Tyrion from drowning, the answer would be "most likely not". Seeing as the infection is spreading rather fast in JonCon (several of his fingers are already infected), and Tyrion doesn't seem to be able to find any patch of skin going grey, I'd say he's rather safe. Of course, he did almost drown, so he swallowed a lot of water. It could be the disease is slowly starting on the inside, though I don't think this has ever been mentioned to be possible in the books, so it might not even be possible.

That said, does anyone have any indication of how the Red Keep looks from the inside? I know Maegor's holdfast is a castle within a castle, but there's always talk about bridges and such, and I have no idea how everything is located there. I only know where the castle is inside the city, but, for example, I would like to know where the Tower of the Hand is located, and Maegors holdfast, and how you get to the throne hall. Anyone got any idea?

That said, does anyone have any indication of how the Red Keep looks from the inside? I know Maegor's holdfast is a castle within a castle, but there's always talk about bridges and such, and I have no idea how everything is located there. I only know where the castle is inside the city, but, for example, I would like to know where the Tower of the Hand is located, and Maegors holdfast, and how you get to the throne hall. Anyone got any idea?

I got interested and googled "Red keep map", and got some results with the image search. Can't say if they are legit, but at least someone has put some thought into it.

ETA: found one map of entire King's Landing by Fantastic maps who were commissined for official maps: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/tag/red-keep/

Archived