Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

I got interested and googled "Red keep map", and got some results with the image search. Can't say if they are legit, but at least someone has put some thought into it.

ETA: found one map of entire King's Landing by Fantastic maps who were commissined for official maps: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/tag/red-keep/

Yeah I googled as well. I found this one http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb3z77qj4W1qmtv72o1_1280.jpg

Any idea how correct this one would be?

The map you posted is from the Lands of Ice and Fire, and although it shows the location of the Red Keep nicely, it doesn't really show where everything is.

Yeah I googled as well. I found this one http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb3z77qj4W1qmtv72o1_1280.jpg

The map you posted is from the Lands of Ice and Fire, and although it shows the location of the Red Keep nicely, it doesn't really show where everything is.

Yeah, looked at that one too, but for some reason I'm not convinced by it. I haven't really thought about the Red Keep's architecture so I'm not really qualified to objectively analyze any maps... :) I posted the Fantastic map link because I think that's one where we can assume it's not just 100% imagination by a random artistic fan. Looked at the close-up on Red Keep but it doesn't really give you all the details, but at least it's something to feed your imagination with.

Does anybody known a convenient glossary for all the medieval jargon in the books? Jerkin, bailey, spotted pie-bald gelding palfrey destrier, gorget, etc?

a jerkin is like a leather pullover I think. a bailey is the fortified part of a "Motte & Bailey" castle, spotted piebald is a strange one because piebald means white with black or grey spots/ patches, a gelding is a male animal that has had his knackers cut off. Rapers are gelded in westeros. A destrier is a full sized war horse, and a Palfrey is a bit smaller. I think a gorget is armour that goes round a knights neck, but i'm not sure on that one. most of the above terms are still in use today, so a good glossary might be the oxford english dictionary ;)

I use this one. If fits nicely for aGoT Eddard IV, when Littlefinger leads Ned out of the Red Keep through the path in the cliffs with the niches (though the book says the path is above the river, and the map has it above the bay). I'm not so sure for Arya III, I can't say in which dungeon she finds the dragon's skulls.

Anguy didn't give a damn, unfortunately. Here's what happened after the Hand's Tourney:

That afternoon a boy named Anguy, an unheralded commoner from the Dornish Marches, won the archery competition, outshooting Ser Balon Swann and Jalabhar Xho at a hundred paces after all the other bowmen had been eliminated at the shorter distances. Ned sent Alyn to seek him out and offer him a position with the Hand’s guard, but the boy was flush with wine and victory and riches undreamed of, and he refused.

Is it possible Anguy disliked the Hand, but liked King Robert?

Does anybody known a convenient glossary for all the medieval jargon in the books? Jerkin, bailey, spotted pie-bald gelding palfrey destrier, gorget, etc?

I've never seen one but if you just google "your term here medieval definition" it will usually give you a definition without having to open more pages.

A question concerning the legal position of Lady Dustin. Why exactly is she still Lady of the House? After Lord William Dustin had died in Robert's Rebellion, shouldn't the lordship have passed to his closest living relative, whoever that may be? Same seems to have happened with Lady Hornwood who "named" Ramsey Snow as her heir, apparently giving him the rights to Hornwood lands. But why would that be as she was Lady Hornwood only through her husband and not in her own right (similar to the difference between Queen Regnant and Queen Consort or Queen Dowager).

There is a precedent for this in medieval and early modern Europe, the so-called "crown matrimonial." This almost happened in the case of Scotland, where Mary Queen of Scots' first husband, Francis II of France, wanted the crown matrimonial, meaning that if she died without children, he would become King of the Scots and be able to pass on that title to children from following wives. (As it happened, the crown matrimonial was not offered, Francis II died young, and Mary Queen of Scots managed to have a child with her second husband.)

A more striking example is in Poland, where Queen Jadwiga's husband, Władysław Jogaila, succeeded her as King of Poland in his own right when she died without children. He was later succeeded by his son from a subsequent marriage. He thus founded a new dynasty after gaining some "legitimacy" by being the widower of the last member of the previous dynasty.

Robert got a big fat origin bonus (he's a Stormlander like Anguy, but Ned is just some godless Northerner) and he's the king. An easy word to say, an easy word to like.

Aren't the Dornish Marches part of Dorne? Summerhall is located where Dorne, the Stormlands and the Reach come together, and the Dornish Marches are located more to the south, aren't they? So they should be part of Dorne.

Robert got a big fat origin bonus (he's a Stormlander like Anguy, but Ned is just some godless Northerner) and he's the king. An easy word to say, an easy word to like.

Judging from the quote I posted earlier, I think as longs as there was any money left, Anguy liked wine more than Hands and Kings. If he ran out of dragons, the situation might very well have changed. :)

Aren't the Dornish Marches part of Dorne? Summerhall is located where Dorne, the Stormlands and the Reach come together, and the Dornish Marches are located more to the south, aren't they? So they should be part of Dorne.

They're the part of the Stormlands that form the frontier to Dorne. IIRC, they were ruled over by House Caron, who hold the title "The Lord of the Marches" and are sworn to Storm's End.

The term marches refers to approaches or frontier. Wasn't the Blackfish Robb's Warden of the Southern Marches? If si that's the same kind of concept. Summerhall was in Dorne though.

The term marches refers to approaches or frontier. Wasn't the Blackfish Robb's Warden of the Southern Marches? If si that's the same kind of concept. Summerhall was in Dorne though.

I'm not sure about the location of Summerhall. According to an SSM, it's very near the triple point where Stormlands, Reach and Dorne meet. According to the wikimap, it sits pretty much in the middle of the Stormlands. According to the WoIaF map, it's a little bit further to the right (which through the slanted shape of the Stormlands does move it a bit closer to Dorne), but still north of the Boneway, and considerably further north than Storm lord strongholds like Blackhaven or Nightsong. According to ASOS, Davos IV, the Stormlords opposing Robert's Rebellion planned to join together at Summerhall to march on Storm's End.

All this leads me to think that the wiki is probably correct in listing Summerhall as a part of the Stormlands, but I wouldn't claim it as definite.

I'm not sure about the location of Summerhall. According to an SSM, it's very near the triple point where Stormlands, Reach and Dorne meet. According to the wikimap, it sits pretty much in the middle of the Stormlands. According to the WoIaF map, it's a little bit further to the right (which through the slanted shape of the Stormlands does move it a bit closer to Dorne), but still north of the Boneway, and considerably further north than Storm lord strongholds like Blackhaven or Nightsong. According to ASOS, Davos IV, the Stormlords opposing Robert's Rebellion planned to join together at Summerhall to march on Storm's End.

All this leads me to think that the wiki is probably correct in listing Summerhall as a part of the Stormlands, but I wouldn't claim it as definite.

Alright, thank you all!

New question :D There is a page on the wiki where the birth years of the Targaryens are calculated (those that aren't specifically known). I can't seem to find anywhere. Can someone provide the link?

Is the whole "Stark honor" thing a recent trend or has it been going on for generations? I've always thought it was just Ned (and children) because of his fostering by Jon Arryn.

We can't be sure, since we have't seen much older Stark generations, but somehow I think it's thing for all Starks. Nearly always when southeners talk about Starks, they mention honor. Just like they mention always gold when talking about Lannisters. I believe Stark honor is ancient tradition, since it's so infamous among southeners.

Archived