Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Who bestows the title "Sword of the Morning"? Is it the Prince of Dorne? If so, and he distrusted Darkstar, this could mean Darkstar is worthy of Dawn but will never get it due to Doran's bias (Doran calls him the most dangerous man in Dorne, and didn't sound like a good thing to me).

Is the whole "Stark honor" thing a recent trend or has it been going on for generations? I've always thought it was just Ned (and children) because of his fostering by Jon Arryn.

The Starks come off as being concerned with their honor and sticking to the vow they made to Viserys I in The Princess and The Queen, for what it's worth. In general I wouldn't make sweeping generalizations about families. (Though people in the books do all the time.) There are even some nice Freys, after all.

Why does Jamie get such a bad rap? Robert's Rebellion was, after all, a rebellion. There were thousands and thousands of oathbreakers in that war but only the Kingslayer lives in infamy. Why is the Kingsguard oath considered so much more sacred than the oaths of fealty to the king sworn by Ned, Tywin, Robert, et al?

Why does Jamie get such a bad rap? Robert's Rebellion was, after all, a rebellion. There were thousands and thousands of oathbreakers in that war but only the Kingslayer lives in infamy. Why is the Kingsguard oath considered so much more sacred than the oaths of fealty to the king sworn by Ned, Tywin, Robert, et al?

Being a kingsguard defines your whole life - if you're a KG, you're all about keeping your king safe, so killing him is the ultimate denial of all that you've voluntarily promised to be. You stood in an extraordinary position of trust and you broke it.

OTOH, if you're a rebel lord, you may have had to swear an oath of fealty once, but it hardly defined every single action you're supposed to take, not to mention that oaths of fealty are traditionally a two way street and even with sane overlords, breaking them is hardly unprecedented.

Is anyone paying attention to Patchface? I was looking but didn't find a thread about him. I don't believe he is there without a purpose. Always singing his silly songs about the sea and the fishes. There has to big something about him there

He has been known to have some prophetic ramblings once in a while. He is listed under the Prophecies Page

Is anyone paying attention to Patchface? I was looking but didn't find a thread about him. I don't believe he is there without a purpose. Always singing his silly songs about the sea and the fishes. There has to big something about him there

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61391-patchface-project/

And the link Mindchap gave you is great for all sorts of stuff.

Shiera was born with one dark blue eye and one bright green one, but the singers said that this flaw only accentuated her loveliness. She was the greatest beauty of her age, a slender and elegant woman, slim of waist and full of breast. She had the silver-gold hair of the Targaryens, thick and curling, and wore it very long. At some points in her life it fell well below her waist, almost to the back of her knees.

When Lady Rohanne settled onto the high seat on the dais, she pulled her braid forward over her left shoulder. It was so long that the end of it lay coiled in her lap, like a sleeping cat.

Mad Danelle Lothston herself rode forth in strength from her haunted towers at Harrenhal, clad in black armor that fit her like an iron glove, her long red hair streaming.

Do all the highborn ladies wear their hair very long or just those who are rumoured to be practicing dark magic do that?

Shiera was born with one dark blue eye and one bright green one, but the singers said that this flaw only accentuated her loveliness. She was the greatest beauty of her age, a slender and elegant woman, slim of waist and full of breast. She had the silver-gold hair of the Targaryens, thick and curling, and wore it very long. At some points in her life it fell well below her waist, almost to the back of her knees.

When Lady Rohanne settled onto the high seat on the dais, she pulled her braid forward over her left shoulder. It was so long that the end of it lay coiled in her lap, like a sleeping cat.

Mad Danelle Lothston herself rode forth in strength from her haunted towers at Harrenhal, clad in black armor that fit her like an iron glove, her long red hair streaming.

Do all the highborn ladies wear their hair very long or just those who are rumoured to be practicing dark magic do that?

I think it's just considered beautiful and "lady-like" for highborn ladies to have long hair.

Explored the wiki for a quick info on hair-related matters, not the best possible descriptions but something to work from:

Arianne: "thick black hair that falls in ringlets to the middle of her back"

Margaery: "thick, softly curling brown hair"

Sansa: "thick auburn hair"

Cersei: "blonde hair"

Cat: "auburn hair"

Lysa: "long, thick, auburn hair"

Alys: "brown hair woven into a braid"

Shae is the only woman with short hair that comes to my mind, and even thought the descriptions above don't all mention hair length I'd be willing to say that they do grow their hair long so that they can wear elaborate hair-dos.

I'd like to say there is some sorcery involved in growing super-long hair (I'd love to learn it!), but I'm guessing that long and thick hair on noble women is a status symbol of sorts. I doubt the malnourished peasants' daughters who work from dusk till dawn can grow a mane as long, thick and shiny as their nobler counterparts.

I know women in real life who have hair that falls below their lap when they sit, so I'd say there is no magic involved :p

It's probably like Matoro and Iona said, simply a status symbol, by which you can show how healthy, strong, and wealthy you are. The better the circumstances in which you live, the thicker and longer the hair.

The wiki claims that the Pussywillows are in KL. I couldn't find any textual evidence for that - does anyone remember where this is said?

I'm inclined to disagree with wiki, mainly because of this:

spoilers for the Mystery Knight!

Ser Glendon was plainly furious at his introduction. He wheeled his mount in an angry circle and shouted, "I am Glendon Ball, not Glendon Flowers. Mock me at your peril, herald. I warn you, I have hero's blood." The herald did not deign to reply, but more laughter greeted the young knight's protest. "Why are they laughing at him?" Dunk wondered aloud. "Is he a bastard, then?" Flowers was the surname given to bastards born of noble parents in the Reach. "And what was all that about pussywillows?"

Looks like the people who know about his background place his home somewhere in the Reach (is that where Redgrass Fields is, I must admit I don't know, so this might be nothing). Her mother was a camp follower, so it could be she ended up in KL, but I don't get the feeling of a King's Landing brothel from this account by ser Uthor. And, right before this quote ser Uthor even says "The commons love their village heroes", referring to the Old Ox and the Knight of the Pussywillows.

Ser Glendon speaks about his purported sire at every opportunity, but have you noticed that he never makes mention of his mother? For good reason. He was born of a camp follower. Jenny, her name was. Penny Jenny, they called her, until the Redgrass Field. The night before the battle, she fucked so many men that thereafter she was known as Redgrass Jenny. Fireball had her before that, I don't doubt, but so did a hundred other men. Our friend Glendon presumes quite a lot, it seems to me. He does not even have red hair."

Hero's blood, thought Dunk. "He says he is a knight."

"Oh, that much is true. The boy and his sister grew up in a brothel, called the Pussywillows. After Penny Jenny died, the other whores took care of them and fed the lad the tale his mother had concocted, about him being Fireball's seed. An old squire who lived nearby gave the boy his training, such that it was, in trade for ale and cunt, but being but a squire he could not knight the little bastard. Half a year ago, however, a party of knights chanced upon the brothel and a certain Ser Morgan Dunstable took a drunken fancy to Ser Glendon's sister. As it happens, the sister was still a virgin and Dunstable did not have the price of her maidenhead. So a bargain was struck. Ser Morgan clubbed her brother a knight, right there in the Pussywillows in front of twenty witnesses, and afterwards little sister took him upstairs and let him pluck her flower. And there you are."

If the Pussywillows was in KL, it sounds pretty weird to say that "an old squire lived nearby" or that "a party of knights chanced upon the brothel".

ETA: I tried searching through ASOIAF novels and found no mention of Pussywillows as the brothel, and tried to google a little too, but came up with nothing.

I'm inclined to disagree with wiki, mainly because of this:

[...]

Yeah, that was what surprised me as well. I mean, sure, bastard names are never clear cut and so on, but it would be the standard assumption that the Pussywillows would be located in the Reach. And from what the text said (there was a squire living nearby but no knight; one day a party of knights chanced upon the Pussywillows), I didn't get the impression that it was a big city brothel anyways.

The wiki claims that the Pussywillows are in KL. I couldn't find any textual evidence for that - does anyone remember where this is said?

I couldn't find anything either. Someone probably assumed it was since Fireball was master at arms in the Red Keep. Since Penny Jenny is described as a camp follower, I think Fireball probably slept with her after fleeing Kings Landing with Daemon. None of this really clears up where the brothel she lived in after the war was located. Somewhere in the Crownlands is a safe bet.

I couldn't find anything either. Someone probably assumed it was since Fireball was master at arms in the Red Keep. Since Penny Jenny is described as a camp follower, I think Fireball probably slept with her after fleeing Kings Landing with Daemon. None of this really clears up where the brothel she lived in after the war was located. Somewhere in the Crownlands is a safe bet.

I couldn't find anything either, but since Ser Glendon is called Flowers, there is a big chance the inn was actually in the Reach, instead of in KL. Flowers is the name bastards get in the Reach, after all.

Searching for Glendon Flowers and the brother, I found this on the wiki, which is very strange:

The wiki page of the Battle of the Redfield Grass says the battle took place in 194 AL, since the Sworn Sword takes place in 209 AL, and in that story, ser Eustace tells Dunk his sons, who died during that battle, had been dead for 15 years.

However, on the wiki page of Daemon Blackfyre, it is said he died in 196 AL, also during the Redgrass Field.

So which date is the correct one?

Seems like a somewhat silly question, but does anyone have a non electronic copy.of game of thrones and can tell me whether there seems to be an excessive use of exclamation marks and pretty bad punctuation? I have a feeling its just the kobo version but want to make sure.

(P.S. Does this question even belong here? Idk, sorry)

I have a bad epub conversion of aGoT for my Kobo. It confuses "rn" with "m" a lot. and really struggled with "Thenn;"sometimes it was "Therm" and so I was never quite sure which was their actual name...

It also writes "maybaps" instead of "mayhaps" which is actually endlessly entertaining because GRRM uses mayhaps A LOT and so now I can't see the word without saying "maybaps" to myself....

Edit: the bad conversion was never quite unreadable, just kind of annoying. Bad punctuation would drive me up the wall...

I have a bad epub conversion of aGoT for my Kobo. It confuses "rn" with "m" a lot. and really struggled with "Thenn;"sometimes it was "Therm" and so I was never quite sure which was their actual name...

It also writes "maybaps" instead of "mayhaps" which is actually endlessly entertaining because GRRM uses mayhaps A LOT and so now I can't see the word without saying "maybaps" to myself....

Edit: the bad conversion was never quite unreadable, just kind of annoying. Bad punctuation would drive me up the wall...

Yes I have recently re-read and decided that it is definitely a mistake in conversion. Just niggly little things like exclamation marks in place of question marks, speech not being closed by " and random brackets.... GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :bang:

Archived