Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Does it say in the text somewhere exactly how many fighters the Dornish have? All I remember is Doran saying their strength was "exaggerated", but I don't know if it was in reference to the 50,000 number. Quentyn never thinks anything in his POV that hints at him lying, so my guess would be he is ignorant.

Does it say in the text somewhere exactly how many fighters the Dornish have? All I remember is Doran saying their strength was "exaggerated", but I don't know if it was in reference to the 50,000 number. Quentyn never thinks anything in his POV that hints at him lying, so my guess would be he is ignorant.

No.

But the numbers are implied to be from the Young Dragons book.

Even Tyrion thinks the Dornishmen have 50000.

Hence the 50000 number is probably from the Young Dragons book.

Does Quentyn ever indicate that he's lying to Dany when he claims Dorne has 50000 fighters? Does he ever think he lied to her or if Dorne's strength is exagerrated or anything?

Like, he could also be ignorant of the truth right?

Don't forget that Doran and Oberyn have been plotting against the Lannisters for 17 years when Quentyn arrives with Dany. Dorne certainly had fewer fighters than 50.000 during Robert Rebellion, but it is quite possible that they have been assembling armies in secret for 17 years, bringing up their total number to 50.000.

Why would Doran take the risk and allow Quentyn to lie against Dany? Dany already has an army, and dragons above all, who, by the time she'd reach Westeros, had she left with Quentyn, would have been big enough to do serious damage to the Martells.

I doubt the 50.000 fighters were a lie. The plan was to support Dany, and for Dany to get more supporters once she is in Westeros. Should she find out they lied, she would have brought her anger down upon them. That would be an aweful lot to risk just to get revenge.

Slightly Off topic for Westeros related questions, but oh well i dont know where else to ask. The Dangerous Women anthology with Thr Princess and the Queen came out in the UK yesterday but its roughly £13 so i dont want.to spend that much if I am only.going to read the one tale. Can anyone tell me whether the other content of the anthology is worth reading? (Bearing.in mind ASoIaF and other similar books are what i generally read)

Slightly Off topic for Westeros related questions, but oh well i dont know where else to ask. The Dangerous Women anthology with Thr Princess and the Queen came out in the UK yesterday but its roughly £13 so i dont want.to spend that much if I am only.going to read the one tale. Can anyone tell me whether the other content of the anthology is worth reading? (Bearing.in mind ASoIaF and other similar books are what i generally read)

Yes definitely. It's full of works by GRRM's SFF contemporaries carefully selected by him and his editing partner Gardner Dozois for your reading enjoyment! If GRRM thinks they're worth it, I wouldn't doubt him ;)

In which years do the Dunk & Egg stories take place? I know the Hedge Knight was in 208 AL, but what about the other two? Does anyone know?

About two years. I'm pretty sure Egg is 8 in THK & 10 in TMK.

8, 10, & 11

SS

Beneath his wide-brimmed straw hat, his face was smudged and dirty, his eyes large and dark. He was

ten, not quite five feet tall.

MK

Egg flushed, and for half a heartbeat, Dunk feared the boy might talk back. Instead he settled for a sullen

look, seething as only a boy of eleven years can seethe.

About two years. I'm pretty sure Egg is 8 in THK & 10 in TMK.

8, 10, & 11

SS

MK

Thanks!

So THK takes place in 208 AL, TSS takes place in 210 AL and TMK takes place in 211 AL?

What about the Redgrass field? Ser Eustace mentions his sons had died 15 years prior, which would place it in 195 AL. Is this correct? Because GRRM had said that Daemon Blackfyre had been 26 when he died, and I thought he was born in 170 AL, but if the Redgrass field was in 195 AL, he would have been born in 169 AL, together with Baelor Breakspear?

Two questions:

Why didn't stannis make more shadow babies? he could have commanded one of his soldier to sleep with melisandre.

Does barristan know joff, tommen & myrcella are bastards?

Ah, but there is power in the blood of a king, and a soldier does not have the blood of a king, I think that is the reason. As to why Stannis himself didn't make any more shadow babies, I believe it took a lot of strength from him, which Davos suddenly notices in one of his chapters.

Thanks!

So THK takes place in 208 AL, TSS takes place in 210 AL and TMK takes place in 211 AL?

What about the Redgrass field? Ser Eustace mentions his sons had died 15 years prior, which would place it in 195 AL. Is this correct? Because GRRM had said that Daemon Blackfyre had been 26 when he died, and I thought he was born in 170 AL, but if the Redgrass field was in 195 AL, he would have been born in 169 AL, together with Baelor Breakspear?

I wouldn't read too much into it. For years, I thought my brother was 5 years younger than me. At the end, it turned out to be 4. Counting months is something people don't always do. I imagine that the peculiar season system in Westeros didn't help.

Two questions:

Why didn't stannis make more shadow babies? he could have commanded one of his soldier to sleep with melisandre.

Does barristan know joff, tommen & myrcella are bastards?

I don't think Barristan knows. I'm sure if he had had any inkling when in KL, his honor would have compelled him to tell Robert.

I wouldn't read too much into it. For years, I thought my brother was 5 years younger than me. At the end, it turned out to be 4. Counting months is something people don't always do. I imagine that the peculiar season system in Westeros didn't help.

This. I have two nephews, both aged 17, yet one was born 1995 and the other 1996. It depends at what point during the year you are born really. Daemon may simply have died after/before his nameday

This. I have two nephews, both aged 17, yet one was born 1995 and the other 1996. It depends at what point during the year you are born really. Daemon may simply have died after/before his nameday

I understand that :p

But what I was wondering about is that on the wiki, there are pages referring to the Redgrass field as happening in 196 AL, and some that are referring to the Redgrass field as happening in 194 AL. And that difference seemed to be too big to me to have been cause by not counting months, or knowing when in the year someone was born.

Also, I like trying to figure out when every Targaryen was born :D

Ah, but there is power in the blood of a king, and a soldier does not have the blood of a king, I think that is the reason. As to why Stannis himself didn't make any more shadow babies, I believe it took a lot of strength from him, which Davos suddenly notices in one of his chapters.

The "power in king's blood" has been debunked. There reference to it in the App that debunks Mel's assertion of king's blood being magical.

More likely is that Mel needs a man of conviction, she alludes to being able to make a shadow baby with Davos and/or Jon.

Also, shadow baby abuse would break the story.

I understand that :P

But what I was wondering about is that on the wiki, there are pages referring to the Redgrass field as happening in 196 AL, and some that are referring to the Redgrass field as happening in 194 AL. And that difference seemed to be too big to me to have been cause by not counting months, or knowing when in the year someone was born.

Also, I like trying to figure out when every Targaryen was born :D

Not everything on the wiki is correct. It could be as simple as a mistyping. For instance, I found a mention that Jaime Lannister was a member of the "Kingsgaurd," the other day.

Maybe Ser Eustace was misremembering, maybe GRRM was while writing, maybe "15 years ago" is a turn of phrase for about 15 years ago.

When exact dates become important, they will be worked out by the powers that be (GRRM, Ran, etc.)

Archived