Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Exactly. That's why I don't understand how it's possible for Ramsay to inherit the Hornwood lands though Lady Donella. As far as I can see, there's no way it could happen.

Given what we know of Ramsay's character, he's pretty much a "do what I want and ignore the consequences" type of person. He probably did it and thought, "who is going to stand up to me?" And he's 100% correct in that assessment. Most of the bannermen have been called and are off fighting somewhere else over much larger issues, so it's highly unlikely a cousin of the Hornwoods would be able to garner enough support to take on Ramsay and try to grab the land back.

I understand that :P

But what I was wondering about is that on the wiki, there are pages referring to the Redgrass field as happening in 196 AL, and some that are referring to the Redgrass field as happening in 194 AL. And that difference seemed to be too big to me to have been cause by not counting months, or knowing when in the year someone was born.

Also, I like trying to figure out when every Targaryen was born :D

Ah the wiki. My favourite part is Daeron II ascending to the IT in his fourties, placing his birth year in 140-144. Around his grandfather's 20th birthday :wideeyed:

Given what we know of Ramsay's character, he's pretty much a "do what I want and ignore the consequences" type of person. He probably did it and thought, "who is going to stand up to me?" And he's 100% correct in that assessment. Most of the bannermen have been called and are off fighting somewhere else over much larger issues, so it's highly unlikely a cousin of the Hornwoods would be able to garner enough support to take on Ramsay and try to grab the land back.

The answer to the Hornwood question from a legal and practical perspective is in Clash:

"Maester Luwin answered. "With no direct heir, there are sure to be many claimants contending for the Hornwood lands. The Tallharts, Flints, and Karstarks all have ties to House Hornwood through the female line, and the Glovers are fostering Lord Harys's bastard at Deepwood Motte. The Dreadfort has no claim that I know, but the lands adjoin, and Roose Bolton is not one to overlook such a chance."

Ser Rodrik tugged at his whiskers. "In such cases, her liege lord must find her a suitable match."

That clearly suggests the overlord would have the plenary right to dispose of the estate.

Just in case, I put in tags. It's about the Princess and the Queen, so look at your own risk:

Should Rhaenyra now be referred to as a Queen and Holder of the Iron Throne instead of a claimant since we now know she sat on the throne and held it, however briefly?

Just in case, I put in tags. It's about the Princess and the Queen, so look at your own risk:

Should Rhaenyra now be referred to as a Queen and Holder of the Iron Throne instead of a claimant since we now know she sat on the throne and held it, however briefly?

I suppose so, but the Maesters of the Citadel apparently don't include her. You'd think Aegon III might have made an effort to undo Aegon II's decree that she should never be called a queen.

P&Q Mini Spoiler: Who were the surviving dragons at the end of the story?

Also in general, what was the name of the last living dragon in Westeros?

The Cannibal, Silverwing, Sheapstealer (though M.I.A. and apparently never seen again in westeros) and Ran has said there was a forth dragon not mentioned in the story still alive.

Ah the wiki. My favourite part is Daeron II ascending to the IT in his fourties, placing his birth year in 140-144. Around his grandfather's 20th birthday :wideeyed:

But that's on the wiki like that because GRRM said it like that in an SSM once. The refrence should be at the bottom of the wiki page, called something like "The Targaryen Kings".

But yeah, that was the first time I felt like perhaps not everything was correct there :p I myself have calculated Daeron's birth to have taken place around 154 AL, making him 30 years old when he came into his throne.

GRRM has at one point admitted that he had viewed how old each king would have been when describing them, and only later started to think about whether or not it would all fit. Obviously, Daeron II's age did not fit, and he turns out to have been quite some years younger when he came into his throne. :)

But that's on the wiki like that because GRRM said it like that in an SSM once. The refrence should be at the bottom of the wiki page, called something like "The Targaryen Kings".

But yeah, that was the first time I felt like perhaps not everything was correct there :P I myself have calculated Daeron's birth to have taken place around 154 AL, making him 30 years old when he came into his throne.

GRRM has at one point admitted that he had viewed how old each king would have been when describing them, and only later started to think about whether or not it would all fit. Obviously, Daeron II's age did not fit, and he turns out to have been quite some years younger when he came into his throne. :)

No, this SSM was a description for portraits of Targaryen kings. Nowhere is it said that Daeron ascended then. GRRM just described him as he was in his 40s. Since Daeron sat the IT for 25 years, there were many periods of his life to choose from.

It's quite surprising that it's still in the wiki, given the interest the Blackfyre Rebellion generates. For myself, I agree Daeron was around 30 when he came to the throne.

I've read that the whole ages not fitting thing began with Viserys II. He was initially Aegon III's third son. Then, he came out to be his brother. Nothing about descriptions pointing how old were the monarchs when they inherited - except about Aegon being young and handsome in the beginning and far from it at the end.

It's quite surprising that it's still in the wiki, given the interest the Blackfyre Rebellion generates. For myself, I agree Daeron was around 30 when he came to the throne.

You could always take it out. Your login for this forum will work on the wiki.

How is Tyrion so effective in battles he fights? I mean, the way GRRM describes some of his scenes, he not only knows what to do, but also seems to be able to pull it off quite well.

I know he took a blow to the elbow and an arrow to the shoulder, but in the course of fighting, people will get dinged up. And I don't count the injury sustained from Mandon Moore, since that was an ally turning on him mid-battle.

How is Tyrion so effective in battles he fights? I mean, the way GRRM describes some of his scenes, he not only knows what to do, but also seems to be able to pull it off quite well.

I know he took a blow to the elbow and an arrow to the shoulder, but in the course of fighting, people will get dinged up. And I don't count the injury sustained from Mandon Moore, since that was an ally turning on him mid-battle.

Plot armour aside, he presents a smaller target than others and there is nothing which suggests he knows exactly what to do. He is a great strategist IMO, but that is only.natural considering his great intelligence and the fact that he has read books of many battles. Yet in battle he himself describes going into what is almost a frenzy, a beserk mode if you like. Think to the battle of the Green Fork, were it not for extreme luck (plot armour) he would have died or at the least been captured by Harrion Karstark (am i right in who thay was? I dont really remember who it was.) and in the Battle of the Blackwater he sustains injuries, and there is the fact he is never alone in battle to consider too

There are threads where it's suggested Tyrion's prowess in battle stretches suspension of belief even further than dragons and magic.

I just read the Princess and the Queen. Did the Iron Throne ever cut Joffrey?

Yes.

I believe in the last Sansa chapter of Clash.

Some dude is calling Joff out as a bastard.

"The knight raised his voice instead. 'Joffrey is the black worm eating the heart of the realm. Darkness was his father and death his mother! Destroy him before he corrupts you all! Destroy them all, queen whore and king worm, vile dwarf and whispering spider, the false flowers. Save yourselves!' One of the gold cloaks knocked the man off his feet, but he continued to shout. 'The scouring fire will come! King Stannis will return!'

Joffrey lurched to his feet. 'I'm King! Kill him! Kill him now! I command it.' He chopped down with his hand, a furious, angry gesture...and screeched in pain when his arm brushed against one of the sharp metal fangs that surrounded him. The bright crimson samite of his sleeve turned a darker shade of red as blood soaked through it. 'Mother!' He wailed."

What are the Hightowers supposed to look like? A bit like how Baratheons are all big guys with black hair and all Lannisters are blond. Most of the houses tend to have a certain physical profile.

Jorah says that Lynesse Hightower looked like Dany, so we could assume very short with blond hair since Daenerys is a tiny woman. But the (I think) one Hightower we've met, her sister Alerie Tyrell (Maces wife) is described as being tall and dignified. I mean a name like Hightower is either going to be appropriate or a little ironic.

On a side note I was once sorting through mail and apparently theres a surname called Mountain...like WTH :D

Plot armour aside, he presents a smaller target than others and there is nothing which suggests he knows exactly what to do. He is a great strategist IMO, but that is only.natural considering his great intelligence and the fact that he has read books of many battles. Yet in battle he himself describes going into what is almost a frenzy, a beserk mode if you like. Think to the battle of the Green Fork, were it not for extreme luck (plot armour) he would have died or at the least been captured by Harrion Karstark (am i right in who thay was? I dont really remember who it was.) and in the Battle of the Blackwater he sustains injuries, and there is the fact he is never alone in battle to consider too

I can understand him being a small target and probably getting lucky, but he seems to deflect blows with his shield a bit too easily considering that he's a dwarf.

And for someone with basically no military experience, he seems remarkably focused in the helter-skelter world of battle, especially for someone who's at a major physical disadvantage. I don't know, it just seemed a little far-fetched to me.

I can understand him being a small target and probably getting lucky, but he seems to deflect blows with his shield a bit too easily considering that he's a dwarf.

And for someone with basically no military experience, he seems remarkably focused in the helter-skelter world of battle, especially for someone who's at a major physical disadvantage. I don't know, it just seemed a little far-fetched to me.

Tyrion did get training - he refers to his Master of Arms. He also discussed things with Jaime. He has a warhorse and armor. He isnt a fighter by nature but isnt untrained. I imagine he did his time as all noble born children do as we do basic training. Even a soldier sent to a desk job gets basic training first.

And of course he has people protecting him most of the time including two competent KG at Blackwater. He also seems to develop a warrior attitude during a fight.

Archived