Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Has anyone given the Audible audiobook edition of Dangerous Women a try? I saw on Amazon that they have a free 30-day-trial available. Who's reading tP&tQ?

I just finished reading the hardcover. It's not as entertaining as D&E but there are good moments. There is some indispensable info in there though.

I just finished reading the hardcover. It's not as entertaining as D&E but there are good moments. There is some indispensable info in there though.

I tricked you there with a poorly structured post - I meant to ask if anyone knows who reads it on the audiobook... :blushing:

Has anyone given the Audible audiobook edition of Dangerous Women a try? I saw on Amazon that they have a free 30-day-trial available. Who's reading tP&tQ?

It looks like Iain Glen reads TPatQ.

http://audiobookaneers.com/2013/12/06/release-week-dangerous-women-ian-tregillis-something-more-than-night-helen-marshalls-hair-side-flesh-side-and-john-gwynnes-malice/

Thank you, m'lady! It seems I was looking for the info on all the wrong places. :)

I unfortunately don't. Must wait a year to go abroad and buy it , then.

Have you checked out the possibility to try Audible for free for 30 days, they have the book as well? It should work on Kindle tablet, iPhone, iPod, and Android, and I think they should have an app for Windows phones as well. At least you could listen to the audiobook version for 30 days if all else fails. I might use Audible as one more excuse to finally buy me a new phone to replace the old log I've been carrying around for a few years now. ;)

“Not as yet. In truth, he [Littlefinger] seems quite unconcerned. His last letter mentions the rebels only briefly before beseeching me to ship him some old tapestries of Robert’s.”

“Harrenhal has withered every hand to touch it.”

“Then give it to Lord Frey.”

Petyr laughed. “Perhaps I shall. Or better still, to our sweet Cersei. Though I should not speak harshly of her, she is sending me some splendid tapestries. Isn’t that kind of her?”

“The Lord Protector awaits you in the solar. If my lords would follow me.” From the Crescent Chamber they climbed a steep flight of marble steps that bypassed both undercrofts and dungeons and passed beneath three murder holes, which the Lords Declarant pretended not to notice. Belmore was soon puffing like a bellows, and Redfort’s face turned as grey as his hair. The guards atop the stairs raised the portcullis at their coming. “This way, if it please my lords.” Alayne led them down the arcade past a dozen splendid tapestries.

Can somebody explain what the hell is LF trying to do with Robert's old tapestries? Are those tapestries on the walls were the ones Cersei sent?

By the way, there might be foreshadowing with the murder holes and this:

He [LF] put down his quill. “Redfort and Waynwood are old. One or both of them may die. Gilwood Hunter will be murdered by his brothers. Most likely by young Harlan, who arranged Lord Eon’s death.

Can somebody explain what the hell is LF trying to do with Robert's old tapestries? Are those tapestries on the walls were the ones Cersei sent?

By the way, there might be foreshadowing with the murder holes and this:

Not a small q...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/51245-littlefingers-tapestries/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98282-littlefingers-tapestries-what-gives/

Etc.

A short answer(and pretty much just my take on it) is that he is just trying to make Cers think that he's out of the Game, but like LM said there are whole threads on the subject.

Six of those ships [carrying the sellswords in GC] had stayed together well enough to deliver their passengers to the shores of Cape Wrath (the other four were lagging but would turn up eventually, the Volantenes assured them, but Griff thought it just as likely they were lost or had landed elsewhere)

Some of the GC troops are curiously missing for the time being. Same goes for the Volantene Fleet. What are we to make from this?

Was Ser Lyonel Baratheon the ruling Lord of Storm's End? Or perhaps the heir of the ruling Lord? Or was he a second of third son?

Ser Lyonel is walking around during 208 AL at the Ashford Tourney. We know that some 90 years prior to 298 AL, Gowen Baratheon married a Lannister girl. Gowen was the third son of the ruling Lord. Is there any indication how Lyonel and Gowen were related?

Was Ser Lyonel Baratheon the ruling Lord of Storm's End? Or perhaps the heir of the ruling Lord? Or was he a second of third son?

Ser Lyonel is walking around during 208 AL at the Ashford Tourney. We know that some 90 years prior to 298 AL, Gowen Baratheon married a Lannister girl. Gowen was the third son of the ruling Lord. Is there any indication how Lyonel and Gowen were related?

All I can say is that the Laughing Storm probably was not lord of Storm's End at the time since he was called Ser Lyonel Baratheon rather than Lord Lyonel Baratheon.

Some of the GC troops are curiously missing for the time being. Same goes for the Volantene Fleet. What are we to make from this?

This is from later in the same chapter.

“Word’s reached the camp from Marq Mandrake. The Volantenes put him ashore on what turned out to be Estermont, with close to five hundred men. He’s taken Greenstone.” Estermont was an island off Cape Wrath, never one of their objectives. “The damned Volantenes are so eager to be rid of us they are dumping us ashore on any bit of land they see,” said Franklyn Flowers. “I’ll wager you that we’ve got lads scattered all over half the bloody Stepstones too.” ADwD p. 810

And then this still later (elephants means more ships landed)...

"The prince arrived to join them four days later, riding at the head of a column of a hundred horse, with three elephants lumbering in his rear." p. 812 ADwD

And in the Epilogue:

“Here and here. All along the coast, and on the islands. Tarth, the Stepstones, even Estermont. And now we have reports that Connington is moving on Storm’s End.” ADwD p. 946

Most of the missing ships have landed somewhere, some later, with at least three elephants, and other in the wrong places, Estermont, Tarth, and the Stepstones. I would guess that all will be accounted for at the beginning of AWoW. Probably not a issue.

He isn't called as a lord or heir in The Hedge Knight. Lords of Casterly Rock and Highgarden are definately called with their full titles, so Lyonel probably wasn't lord. Usually heirs are also mentioned,. I'd say he was second son. After all, the heir is probably supposed to learn to rule, and it's often second sons who eventually become knights.

While I was rereading The Hedge Knight, I noticed that Lyonel wore a crowned Baratheon stag. Wasn't the crown added to the sigil only after Robert's coronation?

He isn't called as a lord or heir in The Hedge Knight. Lords of Casterly Rock and Highgarden are definately called with their full titles, so Lyonel probably wasn't lord. Usually heirs are also mentioned,. I'd say he was second son. After all, the heir is probably supposed to learn to rule, and it's often second sons who eventually become knights.

While I was rereading The Hedge Knight, I noticed that Lyonel wore a crowned Baratheon stag. Wasn't the crown added to the sigil only after Robert's coronation?

I thought that too originally. But it does make sense for the stag to wear a crown. The sigil comes from Durrendons, who were Kings of the Storm Lands. Perhaps that's where the crown came from? Orys took over the sigil and words of the Durrendons after all.

This is from later in the same chapter.

Words reached the camp from Marq Mandrake. The Volantenes put him ashore on what turned out to be Estermont, with close to five hundred men. Hes taken Greenstone. Estermont was an island off Cape Wrath, never one of their objectives. The damned Volantenes are so eager to be rid of us they are dumping us ashore on any bit of land they see, said Franklyn Flowers. Ill wager you that weve got lads scattered all over half the bloody Stepstones too. ADwD p. 810

And then this still later (elephants means more ships landed)...

"The prince arrived to join them four days later, riding at the head of a column of a hundred horse, with three elephants lumbering in his rear." p. 812 ADwD

And in the Epilogue:

Here and here. All along the coast, and on the islands. Tarth, the Stepstones, even Estermont. And now we have reports that Connington is moving on Storms End. ADwD p. 946

Most of the missing ships have landed somewhere, some later, with at least three elephants, and other in the wrong places, Estermont, Tarth, and the Stepstones. I would guess that all will be accounted for at the beginning of AWoW. Probably not a issue.

I'm thinking it's either to show how difficult and unpredictable prosecuting a war can be and/or he's setting up a need for a navy, mayhaps the Lord of the Water's ships?

Rhaenys_Targaryen this one is for you... Why is Aenar Targaryen called the exile?

Aenar Targaryen was the head of House Targaryen at the time where the Targaryens still lived in Valyria. It was his daughter, Daenys the Dreamer, who dreamed of the Doom, and Aenar decided to trust her vision about the Doom, causing him to relocate his entire family to Dragonstone. The Houses Velaryon and Celtigar moved with them. The rest of the population of Valyria didn't think Daenys' dream was anything but a dream. This feeling might have been reinforced by the fact that the Doom happened only 12 years after Aenar had left. They thought Aenar leaving was a sign of weakness, and even though it technically wasn't really exile, they called him The Exile for leaving.

Archived