Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Jorah Mormont might be a case. He was knighted for his actions in the Greyjoy Rebellion, one of the first through the breach at Pyke.

There seem to be two ways of being dubbed a knight. The full ceremony (vigil, anointed by oils, in the sept, etc.) and those given right on the battlefield.

This always seemed a little unclear to me, no matter how many times I have read the books.

Oops, double post!

Ser Bartimus of White Harbor believes in the old gods (despite, ironically, serving the only major house in the North that believes in the faith of the seven).

Here is a key passage...

"How many is it now?" Bran asked Maester Luwin as Lord Karstark and his sons rode through the gates in the outer wall.

"Twelve thousand men, or near enough as makes no matter."

"How many knights?"

"Few enough," the maester said with a touch of impatience. "To be a knight, you must stand your vigil in a sept, and be anointed with the seven oils to consecrate your vows. In the north, only a few of the great houses worship the Seven. The rest honor the old gods, and name no knights . . . but those lords and their sons and sworn swords are no less fierce or loyal or honorable. A man's worth is not marked by a ser before his name. As I have told you a hundred times before."

"Still," said Bran, "how many knights?"

Maester Luwin sighed. "Three hundred, perhaps four . . . among three thousand armored lances who are not knights."

I think you can honor and even believe in both.

Any knight can make a knight. A sept is not necessary, though it's seems like it's more customary to stand vigil and get anointed, as they did with all the fighters that got knighted after Blackwater.

In ADWD we get this backstory from Rolly Duckfield:

“Ser Rolly,” said the big man. “Rolly Duckfield. Any knight can make a knight, and Griff made me. And you, dwarf?”

Also in ADWD Barristan considers dubbing his orphans then and there:

As he watched them at their drills, Ser Barristan pondered raising Tumco and Larraq to knighthood then and there, and mayhaps the Red Lamb too. It required a knight to make a knight, and if something should go awry tonight, dawn might find him dead or in a dungeon. Who would dub his squires then? On the other hand, a young knight’s repute derived at least in part from the honor of the man who conferred knighthood on him. It would do his lads no good at all if it was known that they were given their spurs by a traitor, and might well land them in the dungeon next to him. They deserve better, Ser Barristan decided. Better a long life as a squire than a short one as a soiled knight.

From the Hedge Knight:

“Hmpf.” The man Plummer rubbed his nose. “Any knight can make a knight, it is true, though it is more
customary to stand a vigil and be anointed by a septon before taking your vows. Were there any
witnesses to your dubbing?”

“Only a robin, up in a thorn tree. I heard it as the old man was saying the words. He charged me to be a
good knight and true, to obey the seven gods, defend the weak and innocent, serve my lord faithfully and
defend the realm with all my might, and I swore that I would.”

Also, later in the novella the Laughing Storm dubs Raymun Fossoway then and there next to the tourney field:

The Laughing Storm gave an impatient shake of the head. “Go to him, Ser Duncan. I’ll give squire
Raymun his knighthood.” He slid his sword out of his sheath and shouldered Dunk aside. “Raymun of
House Fossoway,” he began solemnly, touching the blade to the squire’s right shoulder, “in the name of
the Warrior I charge you to be brave.” The sword moved from his right shoulder to his left. “In the name
of the Father I charge you to be just.” Back to the right. “In the name of the Mother I charge you to
defend the young and innocent.” The left. “In the name of the Maid I charge you to protect all women.”

It should be noted though, that the ceremony revolves around the Seven, so even if no standing in septs is needed, the northeners are less likely to get themselves knighted.

Was Ben Plum ever described as cunning?

I did an admittedly shallow search for Brown Ben, but his personality is not described that much. At one point Dany thinks of him as being "solid", and Ben himself says to he's a veteran of many a battles, though admits he did not fight bravely in all of them (old sellswords, bold sellswords thing). When cunning comes up close to BB, it's only Kasporio the Cun...ning. Like "Only if you trust Kasporio. Plumm’s not-so-cunning second-in-command".

Tyrion's thoughts on BB differ from Dany's:

"Plumm had an amiable look to him, especially when he smiled. The faithful retainer, every man's favorite nuncle, full of chuckles and old sayings and roughspun wisdom. It was all a sham. Those smiles never reached Plumm's eyes, where greed hid behind a veil of caution. Hungry but wary this one"

Wary is not the same as cunning, but I think it's safe to assume he's at least somewhat cunning to have not only survived as a sellsword but also risen to leadership of the Second Sons. He suggested the sewer plan, that's a little cunning at least.

ETA: His cyvasse playing might also add some light on his personality:

The sellsword was nearly as bad a player as the Yunkish lord had been, but his play was stolid and tenacious rather than bold. His opening arrays were different every time, yet all the same—conservative, defensive, passive. He does not play to win, Tyrion realized. He plays so as not to lose.

I did an admittedly shallow search for Brown Ben, but his personality is not described that much. At one point Dany thinks of him as being "solid", and Ben himself says to he's a veteran of many a battles, though admits he did not fight bravely in all of them (old sellswords, bold sellswords thing). When cunning comes up close to BB, it's only Kasporio the Cun...ning. Like "Only if you trust Kasporio. Plumms not-so-cunning second-in-command".

Tyrion's thoughts on BB differ from Dany's:

"Plumm had an amiable look to him, especially when he smiled. The faithful retainer, every man's favorite nuncle, full of chuckles and old sayings and roughspun wisdom. It was all a sham. Those smiles never reached Plumm's eyes, where greed hid behind a veil of caution. Hungry but wary this one"

Wary is not the same as cunning, but I think it's safe to assume he's at least somewhat cunning to have not only survived as a sellsword but also risen to leadership of the Second Sons. He suggested the sewer plan, that's a little cunning at least.

That was very kind of you. You are a good person and I hope that Santa brings you lots of presents.

That was very kind of you. You are a good person and I hope that Santa brings you lots of presents.

Thank you, ser. I'm trying to make up for all the naughty things I did earlier this year in hopes of Santa being merciful. Don't miss the edit on BB's cyvasse tactics I edited on later!

Did anyone already try the password reset that Ran suggested?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/forum-20/announcement-64-password-reset/

I don't know from when this is, I only just saw it.. Did anyone experience problems with this?

Yesterday when I tried to login it was telling me that my password was incorrect... it wasn't but it locked me out after trying a few times. So I waited until it was unlocked and went through the "Forgot Your

Password" thing and now it's all set. I didn't realize it was a problem for others.

Yesterday when I tried to login it was telling me that my password was incorrect... it wasn't but it locked me out after trying a few times. So I waited until it was unlocked and went through the "Forgot Your

Password" thing and now it's all set. I didn't realize it was a problem for others.

Ah, alright, they I'm going to try changing my password, and I'll guess the "forgot your password" thing will still work if the normal "change your password" doesn't work?

Ah, alright, they I'm going to try changing my password, and I'll guess the "forgot your password" thing will still work if the normal "change your password" doesn't work?

I didn't try with changing the password. In fact, I didn't saw Ran's message. After the site gave me the incorrect password message and locked me out after a few unsuccessful attempts with the password that most certainly wasn't wrong, I simply went with the forgotten password thing. Well, not so simply because just as I was going through the changing, the site crashed down. But all in all, it worked for me.

The "I forgot my password" option worked! :D

So did you guys change your passwords back to something you can actually remember? That didn't give any trouble either?

Oh yes. Given my penchant to periodically clear away my emails, it was a sure thing that the new passoword would go down the road.

No trouble at all. And no chance for me to remember the site-generated password.

Oh yes. Given my penchant to periodically clear away my emails, it was a sure thing that the new passoword would go down the road.

No trouble at all. And no chance for me to remember the site-generated password.

Ah, great, that worked as well :) Everything if fine now. Thank you all for the quick response!

No, the site-generated password would have been very difficult to remember indeed :D Kind of a challange, though

My small question-is Nymeria Sand the first and only woman to sit on the Small Council?And if so,how do you think the council members will react?Kevin seemed to have accepted it but considering how Tarly acts to Brianne and that Cersei may be jealous...

Cersei was on the Council as Regent

Hey Kids,

Maybe it's not a small question, but I'm curious to know how agricultural/harvest seasons are figured out in this universe. Are there "normal" sub-seasons in this universe? Like even though it's technically "summer", is there still a cycle relatively warm/cold seasons throughout the year? If there isn't, how is agriculture even possible?

Archived