Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

Hey Kids,

Maybe it's not a small question, but I'm curious to know how agricultural/harvest seasons are figured out in this universe. Are there "normal" sub-seasons in this universe? Like even though it's technically "summer", is there still a cycle relatively warm/cold seasons throughout the year? If there isn't, how is agriculture even possible?

Welcome, and not a small question but there is no set cycle, they can go for years at a time. With the last summer being the longest anyone seems to remember.

Do we know who Daemon Blackfyre's wife was? Or, if he wasn't married, who the mother of his children was?

Pretty sure that's one of the unknowns, IIRC.

My small question-is Nymeria Sand the first and only woman to sit on the Small Council?And if so,how do you think the council members will react?Kevin seemed to have accepted it but considering how Tarly acts to Brianne and that Cersei may be jealous...

In the past, even though it was the husband of Elaena Targaryen (although it is unknown which of the three) was the master of coin, it was known throughout the Red Keep that it was Elaena who was performing the duties. I don't know how much that counts :p But the Small Council usually only features men.

I don't think it is a question as to how the Tyrells and their bannermen will react to a woman on the small council. I think it is more a question of how the Tyrells and their bannermen will react to a Dornish Martel bastard on the Sall Council. The fued between the Tyrells and Martells is still strong, after all.

Hey Kids,

Maybe it's not a small question, but I'm curious to know how agricultural/harvest seasons are figured out in this universe. Are there "normal" sub-seasons in this universe? Like even though it's technically "summer", is there still a cycle relatively warm/cold seasons throughout the year? If there isn't, how is agriculture even possible?

When it's summer, it's summer. That means, nothing like spring of fall of winter anywhere in there. There will still be years. How agriculture is entirely possible, I can't say precise, but you might be able to find some info here:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88066-so-how-do-days-weeks-months-work-in-westeros/

It's about the weeks, months and days in Westeros, but iirc the seasons are also featured in the discussion.

Do we know who Daemon Blackfyre's wife was? Or, if he wasn't married, who the mother of his children was?

We don't know who he married, but it must have been a marriage, since his sons are used as an argument for Daemon taking the throne (he has 7 sons), and they are seen as his legit heirs. Daemon II talks to Dunk about his brothers Aegon and Aemon, and he never gives any indication that they are half-brothers. So I believe them to be full blood brothers. If that's the case, all of Daemons children (9 at least) have been birthed by the same woman, since the mother of Daemon II is still alive during the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. I doubt Daemon marrying multiple women would have been good for his cause. So, even though we don't know who she was, she is still alive at the time Second Blackfyre Rebellion, most likely with her other children in Essos.

Welcome, and not a small question but there is no set cycle, they can go for years at a time. With the last summer being the longest anyone seems to remember.

I understand that part, but I feel like there has to be some kind of short term predictable cycle -- separate from the long summers/winters/etc -- in order for farming to ever work. Like it's technically "summer", but there is always a few months of the year that are cooler, and a few that are warmer. You can't expect to grow crops if it's 90 degrees every day for 5 years straight.

Hell, even to have a concept of years, there needs to be some kind of cycle. I get that the Maesters can figure out when a year has passed by using the stars, but it seems to me that even the smallfolk most disconnected from the educated have a pretty good understanding of time passage. I wouldn't expect that without some kind of yearly predictable cycle.

But then, there are dragons in this universe, so maybe I shouldn't get too carried away.

I understand that part, but I feel like there has to be some kind of short term predictable cycle -- separate from the long summers/winters/etc -- in order for farming to ever work. Like it's technically "summer", but there is always a few months of the year that are cooler, and a few that are warmer. You can't expect to grow crops if it's 90 degrees every day for 5 years straight.

Hell, even to have a concept of years, there needs to be some kind of cycle. I get that the Maesters can figure out when a year has passed by using the stars, but it seems to me that even the smallfolk most disconnected from the educated have a pretty good understanding of time passage. I wouldn't expect that without some kind of yearly predictable cycle.

But then, there are dragons in this universe, so maybe I shouldn't get too carried away.

Well it has always been that way in their universe, so they wouldn't have a concept of anything else. I mean there are late summer snows in the north and the occasional false spring so there probably is some difference but I don't think it's a predictable cycle.

I wondered about that too, and the fact that harvest festivities seem to be associated with autumn makes me believe there are no short cycles, even if it seems unrealistic. It's hard to believe that when you harvest goods, you have to make them last ten years until the next harvest !

I wondered about that too, and the fact that harvest festivities seem to be associated with autumn makes me believe there are no short cycles, even if it seems unrealistic. It's hard to believe that when you harvest goods, you have to make them last ten years until the next harvest !

There are multiple harvests every summer and spring. During the war, when Robb is campaining in the Riverlands/Westerlands, it is stated multiple times that the riverlords went back to their own keeps to defend their own lands, and to help bring the last harvest in, and that the northern lords would do the same if Robb would allow them to march back north.

The last harvast of the summer, they speak of. Implying that there are multiple harvests every summer.

There are multiple harvests every summer and spring. During the war, when Robb is campaining in the Riverlands/Westerlands, it is stated multiple times that the riverlords went back to their own keeps to defend their own lands, and to help bring the last harvest in, and that the northern lords would do the same if Robb would allow them to march back north.

The last harvast of the summer, they speak of. Implying that there are multiple harvests every summer.

From an SSM:

Someone asked why the seasons are so messed up. Martin said he couldn't give an answer because that would be telling! He did say that there would eventually be an answer in one of the books, and the answer would be a fantasy (as opposed to a science fiction/science based) answer.
So we will find out what the heck is up before it's all said and done.

Could anyone explain to me the difference between all the different titles given to Monarchs etc.?

We have Majesty, Grace, Honour, Magnificence, Worshipfulness, erm.... That's all i can currently think of but you get what I mean hopefully. What is the difference between these titles?

Your Grace is Westerosi. The rest are Ghiscari.

Edit: I don't remember ever hearing Your Honour.

That's my bad, I am thinking of Judges :P Many thanks. But all refer to a King and/or Queen?

I think there have been cases where princes/princesses are also referred to as "your Grace". At least they did back in D&E's time, well, Dunk did with Baelor Breakspear, that's for sure. (Listened to the audiobooks yesterday :) )

Ghiscari also have "your Radiance" which annoys me greatly.

The Battle of the Bells was 17 years before JonCon presented Aegon to the GC. JonCon served in the CG for 5 years before taking custody of Aegon. Did JonCon join the GC immediately after being exiled?

I don't think we know for sure, but yes, probably very soon after he was exiled.

The Battle of the Bells was 17 years before JonCon presented Aegon to the GC. JonCon served in the CG for 5 years before taking custody of Aegon. Did JonCon join the GC immediately after being exiled?

Why not? What else was he going to do?

1) He might have had thoughts to try and rally the GC to invade/attack Robert .

2) He might have been nudged there by Varys.

Archived