Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

In GoT Bran's assassin has been hiding in the stables, waiting for the time to strike. At the beginning of the chapter we learn from Luwin that Catelyn's been locked up in Bran's room, and hasn't made several key appointments that have been vacant since Ned and Bob left. One of these is master of horse; if Robb or Cat had taken time to appoint a master of horse then the assassin would probably have been found and turned out of Winterfell (everyone in the castle town marks him as a stranger who doesn't belong there for any reason). So...take that as you will...if anyone had appointed a Horsemaster for Winterfell, Bran would never have been attacked during his coma.

Also, Ser Rodrik remarks that Hodor's been acting very strangely; I assume this is because Bran is unconsciously (get it) coming in and out of him from time to time.

Hooray for high lighters.

i think hodor was more likely acting strange because of all tge change around him and also finding the assassin, who could even have threatened him. The Queenscrown incident seems to suggest Hodor really hasnt been warged before

In GoT Bran's assassin has been hiding in the stables, waiting for the time to strike.

Snip

Also, Ser Rodrik remarks that Hodor's been acting very strangely; I assume this is because Bran is unconsciously (get it) coming in and out of him from time to time.

Isn't Hodor the stable boy, I thought he noticed the stranger in the stables.

In GoT Bran's assassin has been hiding in the stables, waiting for the time to strike. At the beginning of the chapter we learn from Luwin that Catelyn's been locked up in Bran's room, and hasn't made several key appointments that have been vacant since Ned and Bob left. One of these is master of horse; if Robb or Cat had taken time to appoint a master of horse then the assassin would probably have been found and turned out of Winterfell (everyone in the castle town marks him as a stranger who doesn't belong there for any reason). So...take that as you will...if anyone had appointed a Horsemaster for Winterfell, Bran would never have been attacked during his coma.

Holy sh*t :O

Sorry, forgot to add this earlier;

Dont feed the Cat-Bashers maaaan! They are ravenous creatures in their natural habitat!

I thought Hodor, who worked in the stables, had seen the assasin, or noticed the place where the man slept. But since the only word he can say is "Hodor" he couldn't explain it. He might have felt something was off with this guy, and acted strange in response.

Upon re-reading Davos' encounter with Edrick Storm in Aegon's Garden at Dragonstone (after Davos returns from being stuck on the Spears of the Merling King) struck me as similar to Theon Greyjoy's encounter with the Hooded Man in Winterfell.

Davos' inner dialog is also quite similar to Theon's, in terms of frequently talking about who he is now and who he was but is no longer.

Also, Davos' shortened fingers introduces a theme of justice being attained through hand mutilation. In Davos' case it is Stannis' justice, but it may be more generally thought to be a brand of cosmic justice as well, if we look at everybody who's hands end up mutilated:

Davos: Justice for smuggling (perhaps a bit harsh)

Jaime: Justice for what he did to Bran

Theon: Justice for the Miller's sons

Catelyn and John Snow have damaged hands as well. Not sure what this signifies, if anything.

If nothing else, the number of people in ASOIAF with damaged or mutilated hands is staggering.

I wouldn't be so sure about this. If a master of horse was appointed, it would have probably been someone who had been working with the horses all this time. Even if they brought a new master of horse from somewhere else than Winterfell, it's not all that likely he would have noticed anything was wrong. And I do think that as a stable boy Hodor might have seen the assassin, but I doubt he's the only one who's hanging out at the stable. And it's not like people in executive positions muck the stables like Hodor.

If nothing else, the number of people in ASOIAF with damaged or mutilated hands is staggering.

There was a thread not too long ago where people gathered a list of all the people with some kind of hand injury, and there are plenty!

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98728-a-list-of-damaged-hands-or-a-motif-of-metacarpus/

There was a thread not too long ago where people gathered a list of all the people with some kind of hand injury, and there are plenty!

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98728-a-list-of-damaged-hands-or-a-motif-of-metacarpus/

Thanks for posting that link. Even though I noticed that there are an unusual number of people with damaged or mutilated hands, I didn't notice that there were that many.

Has anyone else noticed that Randyll Tarly -- Mr. Macho Man himself -- served (at the beginning of the WOT5K) ... Renly Baratheon?

The show makes Renly out to be some kind of ineffectual sissy but in the books he was a powerful and dangerous lord. Besides, Randyll does his duty, and when Mace Tyrell tells him to march he marches. :laugh:

The show makes Renly out to be some kind of ineffectual sissy but in the books he was a powerful and dangerous lord. Besides, Randyll does his duty, and when Mace Tyrell tells him to march he marches. :laugh:

Yeah, I realize that Randyll was following his liege lord (Mace Tyrell) more than Renly per se. Still, I don't know if Randyll would approve of a son who was gay, even if he was strong/bold otherwise.

I don't know if I'm interpreting this correctly, but was Arianne lusting for the Red Viper here?:

“My uncle brought me here, with Tyene and Sarella.” The memory made Arianne smile. “He caught some vipers and showed Tyene the safest way to milk them for their venom. Sarella turned over rocks, brushed sand off the mosaics, and wanted to know everything there was to know about the people who had lived here.”

“And what did you do, princess?” asked Spotted Sylva.

I sat beside the well and pretended that some robber knight had brought me here to have his way with me, she thought, a tall hard man with black eyes and a widow’s peak. The memory made her uneasy.

If she was then :ack:

Thank you. I had this thought and brought it up before. Glad you found it. I was beginning to think I was just crazy for seeing it!!!!

Mathis Rown is the only Reach Lord who has a shred of sense and tells Renly to ignore Stannis and take Kings Landing. And regarding Randyll Tarly; if it is true thay he is about to join (f)Aegon, this may provide part of the reason, as twice now his liege Lord has backed the losih side. Its time to take matters into his own hands

I was just re-listening ADWD, the Dany chapter where she meets with a couple of people who escaped from Astapor. I've never really paid attention to this bit:

“Inside we starved. We ate cats and rats and leather. A horsehide was a feast. King Cutthroat and Queen Whore accused each other of feasting on the flesh of the slain. Men and women gathered in secret to draw lots and gorge upon the flesh of him who drew the black stone.

The Astapori were so desperate that they were having Russian roulette type of death lotteries, where the looser got eaten. Gross.

aGoT Eddard XIII :

He was walking through the crypts beneath Winterfell, as he had walked a thousand times before. The Kings of Winter watched him pass with eyes of ice, and the direwolves at their feet turned their great stone heads and snarled. Last of all, he came to the tomb where his father slept, with Brandon and Lyanna beside him. "Promise me, Ned," Lyanna's statue whispered. She wore a garland of pale blue roses, and her eyes wept blood.

Eddard Stark jerked upright, his heart racing, the blankets tangled around him. The room was black as pitch, and someone was hammering on the door. "Lord Eddard," a voice called loudly.

Ned begins this fateful day dreaming he's underground in the crypts of Winterfell. He'll finish it underground too in the dungeons of the Red Keep !

The Man who Jorah finds that brings Dany the news of Roberts is death is in fact Quhuru Mo [whatever, I dont spell names accurately] the captain of the Cinammon Wind. Dany promises to reward said captain.

Later in Feast, Sam Aemon and Gilly take the Cinammon Wind from Braavos to Oldtown. When it arrives in Oldtown, Marwyn commandeers it and as far as we know sets sail to Meereen and Dany. So Dany is about to meet an old friend! That surprised me, but i am currently rereading and taking special notoce of things like ship names to pick up on repeats.

(Note that Quhuru *sigh* calls Dany Queen in Storm)

Archived