Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

It sounds like Irri and Jhiqui are sisters (Dany mentions them having a single father), which I never noticed. Furthermore, Dany gets Irri/Jhiqui from Viserys, who would have to have gotten them from Illyrio. And if they were enslaved when Drogo destroyed their father's khalasar, that means Illyrio would presumably have originally gotten them from Drogo. (I suppose there could be some steps between, with Drogo (and/or his riders) transferring them to someone who then transferred them to Illyrio, but given the existing Illyrio/Drogo business relationship, I find that unlikely.) It looks like there was a bit of "re-gifting" going on here: Drogo "gifts" Irri/Jhiqui to Illyrio, then Illyrio "gifts" Irri/Jhiqui (via Viserys) back to Drogo's wife.

This sounds to me like a slip George has made by mistake. But if not good catch :)

Cersei often compares herself to her father but her actions suggest that she's actually quite different: one thing that I hadn't noticed is the fact that Tywin didn't tell anyone about the Red Wedding, except for those who had a role to play.

Cersei instead shares her secrets with Taena, and that's exactly why her plot to kill Tristane Martell will fail.

The Ghost of High Heart fears (or somehow hates?) Arya, calling her blood child and black hearth... but I wonder if there's another reason beside showing the reader that Arya's path is going into darker places.

I mean: along Arya there are a red priest (Rhllor and weirwood trees do not work well togheter, and given that the old woman could be a Cotf, or at least someone more related to the old gods than Rhllor..), a walking corpse, people who hang men and maybe even assassins - as far as we know the Brotherhood is quite heterogenuous - yet the one she resents is Arya.

It could also be that the old woman doesn't fear the others since they have been there in the past, but I wonder if the tragedy at Summerhall had some Faceless Man involved...

@Tze: never realised about those... I like especially the one about Irri and Jhiqui

This sounds to me like a slip George has made by mistake. But if not good catch :)

That was what I thought as well when I started reading that bit. But then I read on and saw the idea of a "slave-merry-go-around" and I thought it was awesome that tze thought it through instead of just pointing a finger and going "George, you made a mistake there!". After that I felt a bit ashamed... :P

The Mountain Clans are the closest thing Westeros has to democracy. Tyrion remarks that everyone is allowed to speak in the councils, even women, and they spend hours talking, and talking... Tyrion also seems to think that's a quite negative trait in their society, which is interesting, since for us, democracy is much better than feudalism.

I just realized that the squire from House Blount who was picking on Howland Reed and in turn got beat up by Lyanna, may have been Boros Blount. Depends on how old Boros is, but either he was the squire or the knight who was told to teach his squire honour.

Puts his later beating up of Sansa Stark in perspective.

From the Wiki on Lyanna Stark...

During the feast, Lyanna recognized the three bullying squires. One serving a pitchfork knight (House Haigh), one serving a porcupine (House Blount), and the last boy serving a knight of two towers (House Frey).

I just realized that the squire from House Blount who was picking on Howland Reed and in turn got beat up by Lyanna, may have been Boros Blount. Depends on how old Boros is, but either he was the squire or the knight who was told to teach his squire honour.

Nice :)

Yes please. That would be so awesome.

Cersei often compares herself to her father but her actions suggest that she's actually quite different: one thing that I hadn't noticed is the fact that Tywin didn't tell anyone about the Red Wedding, except for those who had a role to play.

Cersei instead shares her secrets with Taena, and that's exactly why her plot to kill Tristane Martell will fail.

The Ghost of High Heart fears (or somehow hates?) Arya, calling her blood child and black hearth... but I wonder if there's another reason beside showing the reader that Arya's path is going into darker places.

I mean: along Arya there are a red priest (Rhllor and weirwood trees do not work well togheter, and given that the old woman could be a Cotf, or at least someone more related to the old gods than Rhllor..), a walking corpse, people who hang men and maybe even assassins - as far as we know the Brotherhood is quite heterogenuous - yet the one she resents is Arya.

It could also be that the old woman doesn't fear the others since they have been there in the past, but I wonder if the tragedy at Summerhall had some Faceless Man involved...

Or maybe being a part CotF, or being Bloodraven's child if that is the theory you believe in, it is an indication of why wargs are so big a taboo and are frowned upon.

I loved this one. :lol:

I noticed a mistake in the passing of time in AGOT.

So, at the begging of AGOT Jon turns 15 then a few chapters later Dany turn 14. Now, we know they were born about 9 months apart. So, a few chapters later in Jon VII, they mentioned that Benjin has been missing for half a year (6 months), how can that be? By now Dany is at least at few months pregnant which would mean Benjin has been missing close to a year.

However, this probably happened before GRRM solidified the timeline of Dany and Jon's birthday.

I noticed a mistake in the passing of time in AGOT.

So, at the begging of AGOT Jon turns 15 then a few chapters later Dany turn 14. Now, we know they were born about 9 months apart. So, a few chapters later in Jon VII, they mentioned that Benjin has been missing for half a year (6 months), how can that be? By now Dany is at least at few months pregnant which would mean Benjin has been missing close to a year.

However, this probably happened before GRRM solidified the timeline of Dany and Jon's birthday.

Which chapters are these?

Which chapters are these?

Benjin leaves right after they reach the Wall in Jon III and I believe that's the same chapter Jon turns 15. Dany turns 14 at the end of Dany III when she finds out she is pregnant.

ETA: Just checked Jon definitely turns 15 in Jon III, he mentions it when he is thinking about Benjin returning from his ranging.

Benjin leaves right after they reach the Wall in Jon III and I believe that's the same chapter Jon turns 15. Dany turns 14 at the end of Dany III when she finds out she is pregnant.

ETA: Just checked Jon definitely turns 15 in Jon III, he mentions it when he is thinking about Benjin returning from his ranging.

The chapters in the books aren't chronological. Jon's nameday falls 3 or 4 months after Dany's, you are right about that.

What I suspect happened here, was that, since Jon has a lot of new experiences at Castle Black, his chapters were more to the front. But Dany didn't have a lot of things, she was constantly travelling. All her travelling up to that point could be told in the first part of her 3rd chapter. Now I agree, that it would have been better to put Dany III before Jon III, but, as GRRM has said at times, he is not the only one with an opinion about the order of his chapters. There are more people involved in that proces.

I guess it is just one of those little mistakes that no one noticed when the book was edited. But also keep in mind that the chapters aren't necessarily in chronological order, and that entire Dany III has taken place before Jon III, even though it is placed after it.

I think all of Dany's chapters happen a few months before everyone elses, this is how they find out about her marriage and pregnancy reasonably quickly, it also accounts for how far Vaes Dothrak is from Pentos and the time it takes to get there.

I think all of Dany's chapters happen a few months before everyone elses, this is how they find out about her marriage and pregnancy reasonably quickly, it also accounts for how far Vaes Dothrak is from Pentos and the time it takes to get there.

That as well. People making timelines have estimated Dany's marriage to Drogo as happening in the year 297 AC, while the rest of aGoT happens from the early months of 298 AC until the early months of 299 AC. Now I haven't looked into that yet, but there might be some hints as to Dany mentioning how long she's been married to Drogo, for example. At the end of the book, however, she seems to be going more chronologically with the rest of the chapters. I think it's mostly her earlier chapters that happen before the rest.

Archived