Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

When Oberyn arrives in KL, he tells Tyrion:

Yet when we first encounter Doran, he's in the Water Gardens and hasn't returned to Sunspear in years. Error or lie?

Probably just simplification on Oberyn's part. The Water Gardens are only a few miles from Sunspear and most people out of Dorne wouldn't even know what the Water Gardens are.

Could also be that Oberyn didn't want Tyrion knowing Doran was away from Sunspear. They don't want the extent of Doran's poor health to be known and it's also better if the Prince of Dorne is thought to be actually sitting his throne. Not that important, but no reason to tell him otherwise either. And yeah, the water Gardens are pretty much in the suburbs of Sunspear :P

Still re-reading aCoK, and I just reached Jon VII, where Jon has the wolfdream, sees the wildlings through Ghost, and the direwolf is attacked by Orell's eagle. Such a powerful chapter ! And thinking about it afterwards, I just realized that if at the end of aDwD, as most people assume and as the prologue foreshadows, Jon has warged into Ghost as he died, then a dead man will live through the direwolf, and Ghost will truly be a ghost !

When Oberyn arrives in KL, he tells Tyrion:

Yet when we first encounter Doran, he's in the Water Gardens and hasn't returned to Sunspear in years. Error or lie?

Doran sent Oberyn to KL; I think it is safe to assume that Oberyn was lying, making out that Doran is so fragile so the sending of Oberyn couldn't be seen as a major insult... only a minor one. xD

When Cat confronts Petyr with the dagger.

LF "I backed Ser Jaime in the jousting, along with half the court." " When Loras Tyrell unhorsed him, many of us became a trifle poorer. Ser Jaime lost a hundred golden dragons, the queen lost an emerald pendant and I lost my knife. Her Grace got the emerald back , but the winner kept the rest" "The Imp, Tyrion Lannister."

After Ser Jaime loses in the Hand's Tourney

"A pity the Imp is not here with us," Lord Renly said . "I should have won twice as much."

Can't believe I missed this the first time around. Showed Tyrion always bet on Jaime, which is reinforced later when he tells Cat that exact same thing. I should have sensed LF lieing to Cat a lot sooner than i did.

I just came across these two examples from AGoT, Arya’s very first POV, in which Martin foreshadows Arya’s future in Braavos as a “faceless” assassin by describing Arya “actually” making a face, contorting her expression in reaction to another.

Sansa, of course, had named her pup ‘Lady’. Arya made a face and hugged the wolfling tight” (AGoT 71).

Jon gives Arya a “curious look” and asks, ‘Shouldn’t you be working on your stitches, little sister?’

Arya made a face at him” (AGoT 71).

From ASOS, Samwell IV:

"Melisandre of Asshai," said Grenn [to Sam]. "The king's sorceress. They say she burned a man alive at Dragonstone so Stannis would have favorable winds for his voyage north..."

Neither party seems to know that this is Sam's grandfather, Alester Florent, they're talking about.

From ASOS, Samwell V:

I have no place here, Sam thought anxiously, when her red eyes fell upon him. Someone had to help Maester Aemon up the steps. Don't look at me, I'm just the maester's steward. The others were contenders for the Old Bear's command, all but Bowen Marsh, who had withdrawn from the contest but remained castellan and Lord Steward. Sam did not understand why Melisandre should seem so interested in him.

It seems that Melisandre does know that Sam is Alester's grandson.

From ASOS, Samwell IV:

Neither party seems to know that this is Sam's grandfather, Alester Florent, they're talking about.

From ASOS, Samwell V:

Oh man, I never realized Stannis let Mel burn Sam's grandfather. And now he's in part counting on Sam getting answers to the Others invasion. Crazy. Wonder how Sam will react when he finds out the truth!

Oh man, I never realized Stannis let Mel burn Sam's grandfather. And now he's in part counting on Sam getting answers to the Others invasion. Crazy. Wonder how Sam will react when he finds out the truth!

Hard to say. Sam certainly loved his mother, but we don't know if he ever met his maternal grandfather. Regardless, Sam isn't the vengeful sort, and probably accept that his grandfather plotted some treason that merited death.

From ASOS, Samwell IV:

From ASOS, Samwell V:

Well, shite. This is why I fail at family trees. Nice catch!

Sam's mom is a Florent, is that Selyse's sister? Making Stannis Sam's unlce by marriage?

Sam's mother, Melessa Florent, is cousin to Selyse.

I had known that Alester Florent was Sam's grandfather from poking around the Wiki; it wasn't until I was reading the latter part of ASOS that I realized that the book also hints at this relationship in the narrative, not just in the appendices.

Really enjoying these threads. I've read voraciously in these forums and elsewhere since I finished my first read, and they outline many, many things that I would never have caught -- too many to count. I don't have anything really significant to add, but just some minor ones.

Here are 4 pretty minor things that occurred to me since I finished reading this thread a few hours ago:

First: I never realized how many characters are able to sleep while staying seated on a horse -- even Arya. Really speaks to how poorly Kal Drago was doing when he fell from his horse.

Second: There's this quote from QoT, spoken to Sansa when she's invited to dine with her and Margaery:

"All these kings would do a deal better if they would put down their swords and listen to their mother."

This is even true of Joffrey(!). At any rate, it reminds me of what Catelyn says to the Baratheon brothers at Storm's End:

"If you were sons of mine, I would bang your heads together and lock you in a bedchamber until you remembered that you were brothers."

Third: on re-reading, it seemed to me that Sansa's dinner with the Tyrell's may be connected somehow to the assassination attempt (which they may have already planned). I'm not at all sure how. If the Tyrell's plan to use her as a scapegoat, it would seem to be a very bad idea for her to be betrothed to the heir of Highgarden. Perhaps they are trying to decide whether she'd make a good scapegoat by seeing how much she'd be willing to say in the open about her hatred for Joffrey? After they call the singer, they continue to use his cover to talk about the conspiracy of their marriage. Perhaps if she'd have been willing to vituperate about Joffrey without having some form of cover from the singer, the Tyrell's would have decided to use her as the scapegoat and forgo their marriage conspiracy.

Fourth: on re-reading, Sansa's inner dialogue at Kings Landing after the death of her father sometimes sounds strikingly similar to Theon Greyjoy's, echoing a similarity between Ramsy and Joffrey as captors.

Actually, he was talking to a lord´s son he just took as a sort of hostage to ensure loyalty from the boys house (the boy was Hoster Blackwood). Hoster asked Jaime if the reason he killed all the Starks was so that there would be no children left to avenge their fathers. Jaime can't tell him that "Arya" is fake, so he tells the boy that "One has just been wed". This means Arya, as Jeyne in the disguise of Arya has just wed Ramsay Bolton. Sansa is known to be missing, which is why Jaime can't say any more about her than "The other..." which is when he starts thinking about Brienne, who is searching for both girls.

Jaime believes the real Arya to be dead, I believe, so why would he be thinking about her as marrying an inn-keep or a blacksmith?

Also, Sansa hasn't just been wed. She had been wed for more than half a year at that point.

Yeah, he's not talking about Arya. & in AFFC, Arya is asked if she wants an honest apprentice boy which is what Gendry is and she didn't want it.

Or if it is marriage and children you desire, tell me, and we shall find a husband for you. Some honest apprentice boy, a rich old man, aseafarer, whatever you desire.” She wanted none of that. Wordless, she shook her head.

In GoT Bran's assassin has been hiding in the stables, waiting for the time to strike. At the beginning of the chapter we learn from Luwin that Catelyn's been locked up in Bran's room, and hasn't made several key appointments that have been vacant since Ned and Bob left. One of these is master of horse; if Robb or Cat had taken time to appoint a master of horse then the assassin would probably have been found and turned out of Winterfell (everyone in the castle town marks him as a stranger who doesn't belong there for any reason). So...take that as you will...if anyone had appointed a Horsemaster for Winterfell, Bran would never have been attacked during his coma.

Also, Ser Rodrik remarks that Hodor's been acting very strangely; I assume this is because Bran is unconsciously (get it) coming in and out of him from time to time.

Hooray for high lighters.

Archived