Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

The Alchemists' Guild managed to get the Iron Throne (2 different occupants, but still the same institution) to pay twice over for the exact same wildfire. First Aerys paid the pyromancers to make thousands of jars of wildfire and store it around the city, then Tyrion (with the Crown's money) paid the pyromancers to "produce" an awful lot of the same wildfire they had already produced for Aerys (and would have already been paid for by him). This already-produced wildfire didn't belong to the Guild, it belonged to the Iron Throne, and would have "legally" been "transferred" from Aerys to Robert, and then to Joffrey, right along with all of the other Crown property, so Tyrion was buying something the Crown technically already owned. And Hallyne flat-out told Tyrion of the wildfire being "from King Aerys's time", even admitting he was giving Tyrion wildfire from "caches" found in places around the city, yet Tyrion never connected any of the dots and realized he was pretty obviously getting swindled.

As a wedding gift, Joffrey gets

a red gold brooch wrought in the shape of a scorpion from the Dornishman, Prince Oberyn

Later on, Oberyn will tell Tyrion of the role "red scorpions" played in the liberation of Dorne from the Iron Throne, so Oberyn was clearly having some fun here.

To gain the King-Beyond-the-Wall's trust, Jon killed the Halfhand. Later on, to gain the Iron Throne's trust, Lord Manderly pretended to kill Davos, another "halfhand". In both cases, the "killer" of the "halfhand" only pretends to switch his loyalties.

To gain the King-Beyond-the-Wall's trust, Jon killed the Halfhand. Later on, to gain the Iron Throne's trust, Lord Manderly pretended to kill Davos, another "halfhand". In both cases, the "killer" of the "halfhand" only pretends to switch his loyalties.

Do you think that might also be indicative of or foreshadowing what Brienne might do with Jaime and the BWB/LS?

The Alchemists' Guild managed to get the Iron Throne (2 different occupants, but still the same institution) to pay twice over for the exact same wildfire. First Aerys paid the pyromancers to make thousands of jars of wildfire and store it around the city, then Tyrion (with the Crown's money) paid the pyromancers to "produce" an awful lot of the same wildfire they had already produced for Aerys (and would have already been paid for by him). This already-produced wildfire didn't belong to the Guild, it belonged to the Iron Throne, and would have "legally" been "transferred" from Aerys to Robert, and then to Joffrey, right along with all of the other Crown property, so Tyrion was buying something the Crown technically already owned. And Hallyne flat-out told Tyrion of the wildfire being "from King Aerys's time", even admitting he was giving Tyrion wildfire from "caches" found in places around the city, yet Tyrion never connected any of the dots and realized he was pretty obviously getting swindled.

As a wedding gift, Joffrey gets

Later on, Oberyn will tell Tyrion of the role "red scorpions" played in the liberation of Dorne from the Iron Throne, so Oberyn was clearly having some fun here.

Those are all really good ones. Most of my ones are just noticing characters who get bigger roles later on, like Hosteen Frey being at the tourney of the hand.

When Cat confronts Petyr with the dagger.

After Ser Jaime loses in the Hand's Tourney

Can't believe I missed this the first time around. Showed Tyrion always bet on Jaime, which is reinforced later when he tells Cat that exact same thing. I should have sensed LF lieing to Cat a lot sooner than i did.

Wow, nice spot!

I was just re-listening ADWD, the Dany chapter where she meets with a couple of people who escaped from Astapor. I've never really paid attention to this bit:

“Inside we starved. We ate cats and rats and leather. A horsehide was a feast. King Cutthroat and Queen Whore accused each other of feasting on the flesh of the slain. Men and women gathered in secret to draw lots and gorge upon the flesh of him who drew the black stone.

The Astapori were so desperate that they were having Russian roulette type of death lotteries, where the looser got eaten. Gross.

May the odds be ever in your favor...

When talking to Tyrion before the fight with Gregor, Oberyn calls Myrcella Queen Myrcella, and Tyrion thinks it's a bit odd. I wonder if he was somehow the inspiration for Arianne's plan. Did he make a comment that if something were to happen to Joffery, they should crown Myrcella? Or was it just a Dornish oversight, since in Dorne Myrcella would automatically be next in line, regardless of her gender?

Can't believe I missed this the first time around. Showed Tyrion always bet on Jaime, which is reinforced later when he tells Cat that exact same thing. I should have sensed LF lieing to Cat a lot sooner than i did.

What's worse...this is all in an Eddard POV. He heard LF say this. It should have raised some red flags for him as well as us.

I'm in my first reread and Hindsight made that such a glaring line. There seem to be no end to the bumbling mistakes our Ned will make during his stay in King's Landing.

What's worse...this is all in an Eddard POV. He heard LF say this. It should have raised some red flags for him as well as us.

I'm in my first reread and Hindsight made that such a glaring line. There seem to be no end to the bumbling mistakes our Ned will make during his stay in King's Landing.

When talking to Tyrion before the fight with Gregor, Oberyn calls Myrcella Queen Myrcella, and Tyrion thinks it's a bit odd. I wonder if he was somehow the inspiration for Arianne's plan. Did he make a comment that if something were to happen to Joffery, they should crown Myrcella? Or was it just a Dornish oversight, since in Dorne Myrcella would automatically be next in line, regardless of her gender?

Well, not automatically, and I have a very hard time believing Myrcella is the first daughter/sister with a younger brother visiting Dorne whose father/(brother without children) died. The fact even the very historically knowledgeable Tyrion didn't see such a move until Oberyn pointed it out shows this hasn't been an issue before.

So, the Oberyn/Arriana plot to crown Myrcella is certainly exploiting a legality in a way it wasn't meant to be used. That being stated, Myrcella is certainly Tommen's recognized heir.

One thing I noticed on re-read: The successful Hands of the King after Ned (Tyrion and Tywin) immediately put their own man in charge of the Gold Cloaks and re-shuffle the Small Council. (Tyrion by ejecting Pycelle and Janos Slynt, and by adding a Martell; Tywin by adding Kevan Lannister, Mace Tyrell, Mathis Rown, and Paxter Redwine).

Harris Swyft and Orton Merryweather are both weak Hands -- part of Cersei's attempt to remake the Small Council/governing structure. It's unclear whether Mace Tyrell will be a successful Hand, though Tywin's changes to the council seem to make it ready made for Mace Tyrell to control. (And Varys takes care of Kevan and Pycelle for him, both making it easier for Mace Tyrell and indicating Varys' lack of confidence in Tyrell to keep control of things.)

We get it :p

One thing I noticed on re-read: The successful Hands of the King after Ned (Tyrion and Tywin) immediately put their own man in charge of the Gold Cloaks and re-shuffle the Small Council. (Tyrion by ejecting Pycelle and Janos Slynt, and by adding a Martell; Tywin by adding Kevan Lannister, Mace Tyrell, Mathis Rown, and Paxter Redwine).

Harris Swyft and Orton Merryweather are both weak Hands -- part of Cersei's attempt to remake the Small Council/governing structure. It's unclear whether Mace Tyrell will be a successful Hand, though Tywin's changes to the council seem to make it ready made for Mace Tyrell to control. (And Varys takes care of Kevan and Pycelle for him, both making it easier for Mace Tyrell and indicating Varys' lack of confidence in Tyrell to keep control of things.)

I'm not sure about Mace's ability to be a good leader in times of war. In times of peace, he'll most likely be a good one. But Tywin reshuffled the Council good, and Mace has bannermen who are capable of fighting in wars (like Randyl Tarly). So he might actually do a good job at it. Especially since Cersei's position at court is now so very vonerable, and Kevan and Pycelle are dead.

Archived