Favorite Podcasts

SpaceChampion

Now that I have a tablet, I find I'm enjoying listening to podcasts on it and it not eating up memory while working on my desktop. I'm looking for a few more podcasts to listen to throughout the week.

What your favorite podcast? What your favorite android podcast app?

I'm using the BeyondPod app which i like a lot. Tried only one other app before it, and couldn't get it play mp3s at all. BeyondApp seems to have everything to subscribe to feeds, mark feeds as read, download for offline listening, play the episode and control each feed individually. Are there features another app has that enhances your podcast listening experience?

I'm subscribed to the following podcast feeds:

* Writing Excuses

* The Nerdist

* Adventures is Sci Fi Publishing

* Game of Owns

* AMC Movie Talk

What do you listen to? In particular I'm looking for some good science and philosophy podcasts.

This is really fucking esoteric but the Survivor Historians podcast is pretty awesome. Three entertaining guys who have been watching Survivor for the 13 years it has been airing go down the seasons in order and spend a few hours on each one, talking about the context of the time and how certain events/characters were perceived, and inevitably diverting into making stupid jokes about Zoe Zanidakis. Fun times for me.

Most of my favourite podcasts I mentioned in that other thread, I won't repeat them all here for now..

A relatively recent addition is the Verity! podcast, which discusses Doctor Who. And I've also been enjoying the "Splendid Chaps" podcast, a series of recordings of Australian live discussions on Doctor Who.

Also nice is Tea and Jeopardy, a slightly whimsical interview podcast where Emma Newman interviews other authors and people involved in publishing.

And of course Mike Duncan, of the History of Rome podcast has returned with Revolutions. With his first sub-series focussing on the English Civil war.

I've got a few additions and subtractions since that last thread:

Subtractions

Baseball Today was cancelled by ESPN.

I got tired of Around the Horn and PTI's shtick.

Also got bored with The Indoor Kids

Additions

The Pod F. Tompkast is hilarious

As is Comedy Bang Bang

And so is How Did This Get Made?

Grantland Sports and Pop Culture are good if you like the various writers over at Grantland

Thrilling Adventure Hour is really cool in a hard to explain way

Nerd Poker is recordings of Brian Posehn and some comedian friends of his playing D&D.

For my ABSOLUTE favorite ASOIF Podcast, I have to say that "History of Westeros" is f'ing fantastic! There is a guy on it named Aziz that has his history locked down. I have not heard a podcast that is its equal and I have been listening for a long time. On the downside, there is a guy named Steve that consistently shows up to the podcasts unprepared and screws up details all the time, but Aziz more than makes up with it by his preparation and knowledge base of Westeros. As a person that has read the series 8 times through, I thought I knew it all, but Aziz regularly impresses me.

As for others, A Cast of Thrones is enjoyable, but just not on par with History of Westeros.

If you want to be infuriated, listen to Fat Pink Cast, which is a podcast that I have admittedly only listed to 2 episodes of, but I wanted to smash my speakers listening to several females bitch about the lack of minorities and how House Martell is black, but then GRRMartin actually corrects them and then I listen to them bitch about how racist everyone is.

For non-'Thrones, I love Dan Carlin.

Archived