Favorite Podcasts

SpaceChampion

Watch What Crappens is a delightfully snarky weekly recap of Bravo programming.

For those of us who don't take The Walking Dead too seriously, Rob Cesternino's weekly Walking Dead recap on Rob Has a Podcast is really hilarious. Awesome Possum would hate it but it really brightens up my Monday morning commute. I think Simon would enjoy it. :lol:

Two of my favourites;

We Hate Movies. 3 guys make fun of a movie they watched. Pretty simple. Normally I wouldn't like this sort of thing, but these guys are really funny, and they often do movies they actually like, or even love so it isn't all just snark.

Stop Podcasting Yourself. A couple of Vancouver based comedians have a guest on and just shoot the shit, basically. Which sounds like every comedy podcast, to be fair, but these guys just have a nice, easy, laid back chemistry and the guests they have on are usually friends, not there to promote something. It doesnt seem like much at first but it really grows on you, and the guests aren't the usual revolving door of LA or New York standups.

My favorite Asoiaf podcast is probably Boars, Gore and Swords. It's two SF based comedians who review each season, and then read the corresponding book between seasons. They digress a lot, and are generally very funny people, if you're looking for a good, introductory episode to listen to, I would go for this one

My favorite Asoiaf podcast is probably Boars, Gore and Swords. It's two SF based comedians who review each season, and then read the corresponding book between seasons. They digress a lot, and are generally very funny people, if you're looking for a good, introductory episode to listen to, I would go for this one

Are they also the ones that do the Joffery of Podcasts? I sub to the Joffery one. It is pretty hilarious. I was told they do a different aSoIaF podcast as well. I've been looking for it. because they are pretty funny guys

Are they also the ones that do the Joffery of Podcasts? I sub to the Joffery one. It is pretty hilarious. I was told they do a different aSoIaF podcast as well. I've been looking for it. because they are pretty funny guys

I don't think it's them. As far as I know, the guys at BGS don't do any other podcasts. Though the one you've posted does sound like something I could listen to. Also, the link I've posted above is a live game show about Game of Thrones that they did in SF, well worth checking out.

• 5 months later...

I agree with you good folks who recommended Boars, Gore and Swords and The Joffrey of Podcasts. They're not only the most fun ASoIaF/GoT-based shows, but they get their recaps recorded and released within 24 hours of the GoT episodes airing. Other GoT-based shows I like are Geek Nation, Bald Move, Game of Owns and Cast of Kings. During GoT season I pretty much stop listening to my other favourite podcasts and dive deep into the GoT-based podcastiverse.

As for those other podcasts, I can see why a lot of folks who love ASoIaF also love Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (we can all relate to the long wait between installments at least). Mike Duncan's A History of Rome and Revolutions are also fantastic - in fact The History of Rome is probably the most epic podcast experience in the history of both history and podcasts, although it takes a couple of episodes to catch on as he was teaching himself to podcast as he went. Thankfully, while the series itself tells an epic tale, they're also short episodes. For other nerd stuff I like Starbase 66 a lot. It's a more old school type of podcast, orginally Star Trek-based but gradually evolved into a wider look at genre fiction, as well as a NASA/space news section since one of the hosts works for NASA. Nerd of Mouth is another one I'm a fan of, although it has a somewhat abrasive "New York" sense of humor, so that one's not for the faint-hearted. For film-based shows, I like the Slashfilmcast, the BBC's Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo and Badass Digest's Badass Padcast Podcast.

For comedy my #1 is probably Comedy Bang Bang. It took me a couple of listens to really understand the type of humor they go for, but once it clicked it really clicked. I also love the goofballs from My Brother, My Brother and Me as they dole out advice, some of it even (accidentally?) good advice. Harmontown, the podcast of Community creator Dan Harmon, is a lot of fun too, and features weekly, live D&D sessions for the last 15-20 minutes of the episode. For a quick burst of comedy I love The Ten Minute Podcast, in which Will Sasso, Chris D'Elia and Bryan Callen basically satirise machoness in male friendships, among other things, 10 minutes at a time.

For general interviews, I like The Nerdist sometimes but Chris Hardwick often comes across as too obsequious for my taste. I like WTF with Marc Maron sometimes but Maron's grumpy sad sack vibe can get wearying. I like Joe Rogan but as open-minded and progressive as he can be the testosterone levels can be a bit high for me. Rogan's pal Bryan Callen, also of the aforementioned Ten Minute Podcast, also does a frequently informative and fun interview show called (wait for it ...) The Bryan Callen Show featuring a diverse bunch of people he admires, from authors, scientists and philosophers to former special forces soldiers and professional cage fighters. The best interview show though is probably Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, which usually features two interviews per show as well as other fun segments (including one from the My Brother, My Brother and Me chaps).

I honestly don't know where I find the time. (In fact, while we're being honest, I often don't.)

I just recently found a new podcast which is great if you enjoy Freakonomics, Planet Money, This American Life, etc. It is called Ted Radio Hour Podcast, and they bring on people to talk about their TED talks. If you love TED talks and Podcasts it is a no brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

So I gave The Nerdist podcast a try and I love it so far. I've been tearing through most of the older episodes and I have to say most of them are pretty good. The better epsiodes are the ones where he's not doing the interview alone, specifically the ones he does with Jonah. The Alison Brie episodes are probably my favorites by far, I knew she was crazy but I had no idea she was this crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I gave The Nerdist podcast a try and I love it so far. I've been tearing through most of the older episodes and I have to say most of them are pretty good. The better epsiodes are the ones where he's not doing the interview alone, specifically the ones he does with Jonah. The Alison Brie episodes are probably my favorites by far, I knew she was crazy but I had no idea she was this crazy.

If you enjoy the gals of Community you might like to check out each of their appearances on Comedy Bang Bang. Brie is a delight, as you'd expect, but it's Gillian Jacobs who pwns when it comes to the improv comedy.

• 4 months later...

If you want to listen to 2 people do a chapter-by-chapter review of ASOIAF, check out UNspoiled! Podcast.

You'll have to go to Unspoiled.libsyn.com/webpage to go all the way back to the AGOT Prologue, but it's pretty worth it. I've listened to every single episode probably 2 times through.

Sadly, the wife and husband team of Natasha and Brendan are recently divorced, so it's going to be a bummer when Winds finally comes out and they aren't covering it together.

Natasha still runs Unspoiled! and recently finished her watch of Breaking Bad, and is currently covering The Wire, True Detective, The Walking Dead, and Scandal.

UnspoiledPodcast.com

The Game with Gab Marcotti

Godamn, I listen to him all the time on ESPN FC and had no idea he had his own podcast. Thanks. Another awesome football podcast is Football Weekly.

Most of my favourite podcasts are MMA podcasts but just in case there are some poor unfortunate MMA fans out there who don't know about these:

- Co-Mainevent podcast

- Luke Thomas' Live Chat

- The MMA Beat

I like Joe Rogan but as open-minded and progressive as he can be the testosterone levels can be a bit high for me. Rogan's pal Bryan Callen, also of the aforementioned Ten Minute Podcast, also does a frequently informative and fun interview show called (wait for it ...) The Bryan Callen Show featuring a diverse bunch of people he admires, from authors, scientists and philosophers to former special forces soldiers and professional cage fighters.

I can handle Joe Rogan because of his open mindedness and humour but holy fuck Bryan Callen is annoying. I forced myself to listen to one of Bryan Callen's podcasts recently because I found out that Jared Diamond had been on. He has this fucking brilliant knowledgeable author on and all he can do is keep trying to assert some kind of esoteric value of religion over and over again. It was so rage inducing, fuck that guy.

For MMA Podcasts I like Beatdown After The Bell, which is a Sherdog podcast. A lot of times I can't catch the fights so it is a nice breakdown of what happened. I also enjoy Fighter and The Kid, which features Brandon Schaub and Bryan Callen. It provides a great behind the scenes look at what it is to be a UFC fighter.

Archived