Bakker 亀 Anarcane Turtles All the Way down

lokisnow

And then, at the apex of scientific understanding, they found out the moralizing theists - who'd long been driven to extinction among their kind - had been right all along.

Gah! Back to the anonymity! Just 'right', not 'so and so's version of right'. Why doesn't gravity come alive as 'right' in this way? Even as Gravity Paul is robbed of his 'well, that's just how it is!' to pay off the coming from nowhere'ingness of Peter's 'these morals are right!' claim.

Maybe those moralizing theists simply assumed their god would save them from extinction? In which case they were actually wrong. Or maybe they were complacent - leave it to something else to do the dirty work, while they just leave the universe and dissappear. In the end, they do sound like they barked like wolves at a gate - without bite. Without bothering to.

No just some idiot who loves the series. Been lurking reading these threads forever- thank all of you for being hilarious and insightful in equal measure. What happened to Nerdanel btw? That guy was amazing. Anyways, my theory is that Kellhus has been controlling Achamian's dreams by using Seswatha's heart as a suppository. Their final meeting before the walls of Golgotterath might go something like this:

Achamian stood rigidly defiant before the Aspect Emperor, the sorcerous tapestry shifting beyond them in the shadowy confines of the Umbilicus.
"Men are as children to me," Kellhus proclaims, "for I know the darkness that comes before them. But you old friend, old enemy, you required something far more..."
With a haloed hand, the Dunyain reached beneath his kilt, firmly wrested Seswatha's heart from his butt. Beads of honey seemed to crack the stone at his feet...
"For you, I pierced the darkness that comes behind."
Achamian knelt.

D'Oh! How could I forget that!

Though how do you know it's not Moe and Maithanet doing that, making the Consult look bad?

;)

Heheheh.

I think you're right to wonder why the skin spy didn't try to destroy the heart though. I suspect the Seswatha in him retains the same control it maintains over Akka. Akka can do stupid things and put his life at risk, but he can't consciously jeopardize the Mandati mission by revealing the secrets of the Gnosis.

This is why the skin spy was reduced to relaying information and not actively sabotaging the Mandati efforts. The only place in which you are wholly yourself after touching the heart is when you walk through Seswatha's life in your dreams.

What I wonder about is how did a presumably young skin spy deepen its Mark enough to match that of a Mandati master? Did it cast lots and lots of spells before it infiltrated Atyersus? But then how did it get in without being noticed?

Or do Marks only deepen significantly over centuries so the lowest ranking school man has about the same darkness in his Mark as a member of the Quorum?

eta:

No just some idiot who loves the series. Been lurking reading these threads forever- thank all of you for being hilarious and insightful in equal measure. What happened to Nerdanel btw? That guy was amazing. Anyways, my theory is that Kellhus has been controlling Achamian's dreams by using Seswatha's heart as a suppository. Their final meeting before the walls of Golgotterath might go something like this:

Achamian stood rigidly defiant before the Aspect Emperor, the sorcerous tapestry shifting beyond them in the shadowy confines of the Umbilicus.

"Men are as children to me," Kellhus proclaims, "for I know the darkness that comes before them. But you old friend, old enemy, you required something far more..."

With a haloed hand, the Dunyain reached beneath his kilt, firmly wrested Seswatha's heart from his butt. Beads of honey seemed to crack the stone at his feet...

"For you, I pierced the darkness that comes behind."

Achamian knelt.

O_O

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, but that didn't stop them from summoning the No-God the first time around, and I don't think spreading another womb plague is as easy as you made it sound.

The problem isn't the efficacy of a contagious Womb Plague, the problem is the surviving Inchies don't have the scientific acumen to make microscopic pathogens. Or maybe they tried and it nearly killed them.

What would happen if Kellhus put Seswatha's heart up his butt?

I'm confused, by putting "Seswatha's" in italics you made it sound as if Kellhus has put someone else's heart up his butt in the past.

Revise it only insofar as we're not sure who it is.

I think we assumed maybe it was Ax because we figured Ang couldn't be leading skirmishes in the ancient north and handling the Synthese around the Holy War at the same time. But there's no way to know 100% from the text. And it's a detail that may not really matter after all.

There is also the way they spoke, Aurang says "I am Aurang" while the other one says things like "We are not he".

ETA: Quick question, if the Inchies are immortal (and that's what it seems like), why do they need to seal the world from the outside to avoid damnation in the first place?

ETA: Quick question, if the Inchies are immortal (and that's what it seems like), why do they need to seal the world from the outside to avoid damnation in the first place?

They are not immortal, they just don't die from old age.

What I was pointing out is the fact that he referred to himself as "We" unlike the first one.

They are not immortal, they just don't die from old age.

I know, but they could hide in Golgoterath for all eternity, unless they want to die.

I know, but they could hide in Golgoterath for all eternity, unless they want to die.

No matter what you do, your chances of dying on a given day/year are nonzero. Therefore, no matter what, eventually they will die. They're looking to avoid eternal torment when that happens.

No matter what you do, your chances of dying on a given day/year are nonzero. Therefore, no matter what, eventually they will die. They're looking to avoid eternal torment when that happens.

This. It's all too risky. Immortality, as the Inchoroi (and Shae and the Nonmen) have it, is a temporary solution to an inevitable problem. They want a final solution.

This does remind me of something I've thought about before. Why is it that Shae keeps himself "alive" by doing the crazy quadriplegic soul circuitry thing, instead of letting the Inchoroi do to him whatever it was that made the Nonmen immortal? It seems like he'd be a lot more useful in a physical body then he would as..whatever the hell he is now.

Do we know the Inchie Bros are ageless?

In TTT Aurang refers to a succession of grafts that "sap his strength". Perhaps they can prolong life for millennia at the expense of prowess via these body modifications.

Archived