Who poisoned the locusts?

RK Rajagopal

I think the Shavepate poisoned the locusts - summed up here.

http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

I think that this is important, as if true, it would mean the Harpies didn't renege on their deal, and that the peace Dany built was real.

I would like to see if anyone disagrees with this.

Nah. I think it was definitely Hizdhar (or however you spell it)

If Hizdar did try to kill Dany, I don't think it would be in a public place in such a sloppy method - anyone can eat the locusts, and Belwas, who ate a bowlfull, still didn't die! I think the Green Grace was being truthful when she said Loraq wouldn't taint himself with poison.

If Hizdar did try to kill Dany, I don't think it would be in a public place in such a sloppy method - anyone can eat the locusts, and Belwas, who ate a bowlfull, still didn't die! I think the Green Grace was being truthful when she said Loraq wouldn't taint himself with poison.

That's the best way to do it. It deflects any guilt. I haven't read that article yet though.

I think it wasn't Hizdhar. That would be too obvious. The Shavepate would make the most sense indeed. I think that guy is playing everyone, on re-read i thought he might the the most interesting guy in the Meereen part of the story.

My, my, you are really excited about the Meereneese blot -articles, aren't you? :)

I actually found this particular article to be the most convincing one, and the possibility of Shavepate f***king everything up and drawing Barristan into breaking the peace seems legit to me. I'm one of those people who would be the first one to die if I ever was sucked into the game of thrones, and I miss these kinds of intrigues nine times out of ten. I must say I started to appreciate Galazza Galare a whole lot more after I found this blog.

My, my, you are really excited about the Meereneese blot -articles, aren't you? :)

I actually found this particular article to be the most convincing one, and the possibility of Shavepate f***king everything up and drawing Barristan into breaking the peace seems legit to me. I'm one of those people who would be the first one to die if I ever was sucked into the game of thrones, and I miss these kinds of intrigues nine times out of ten. I must say I started to appreciate Galazza Galare a whole lot more after I found this blog.

Yes, I found this the most convincing one too. I also found the whole Dany series more convincing than the Jon series. I find that a lot of people still don't accept that the Shavepate is the culprit - so I want to clear it up on this forum.

Yes, I found this the most convincing one too. I also found the whole Dany series more convincing than the Jon series. I find that a lot of people still don't accept that the Shavepate is the culprit - so I want to clear it up on this forum.

It's cleverly hidden in between the lines and requires some puzzling to be uncovered. I will openly admit that I was generally bored with all the stuff (not) going on while Dany is in Meereen, and that might have played a part in my missing much stuff that was going on in the background.

I'm doing audiobook re-reads now, and after reading the linked article I found Dany's chapters in ADWD much more interesting. I can wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone, if not for any other reason, then read it so that the next time you're stuck with Dany in Meereen, you might not find it as boring as you did before! :)

It is a pretty convincing theory. My main problem with it is that we do not know how the poison was supposed to work. The poisoner hardly expected anyone to eat the whole bowl; I wonder what the effect would have been if Dany ate one or two locusts and decided that she didn't like them. Would she have the same symptoms like Belwas, almost immediate? Or would it be delayed by several hours, with symptoms resembling common digestion problems in the beginning? It's really hard to decide if the poisoning was to be blunt or subtle when we don't know how it normally works.

I thought that the Shavepate article was the strongest of the meereenese blot articles, but I doubt that the Shavepate was the poisoner. He has less to gain than the Green Grace, the Shavepate's position is entirely dependant on Daenerys. If he did arrange to have the locusts poisoned then he had huge good luck in Daenerys not eating one and dying. He wouldn't have been able to guarantee his power in the event of her death. It remains highly suspicious that Hizdahr didn't eat the locusts (although of course it would have been possible for the Shavepate to have warned Hizdahr indirectly).

The peace in any case wasn't real because it was Volontis and Qorth that paid for the war not Yunkai and certainly not the sons of the Harpy. Daenerys managed to sell her principles down the river to gain time for her enemies to arrive, not her finest moment. On the other hand the sons of the Harpy played a weak hand and won within the time scale of ADWD, forcing Daenerys on to the defensive and getting a good deal of what they wanted. If the slave army that Volontis is sending was reliable they would stand a chance of getting slavery restored, as it is the long term outlook probably isn't too good for them.

I thought that the Shavepate article was the strongest of the meereenese blot articles, but I doubt that the Shavepate was the poisoner. He has less to gain than the Green Grace, the Shavepate's position is entirely dependant on Daenerys. If he did arrange to have the locusts poisoned then he had huge good luck in Daenerys not eating one and dying. He wouldn't have been able to guarantee his power in the event of her death. It remains highly suspicious that Hizdahr didn't eat the locusts (although of course it would have been possible for the Shavepate to have warned Hizdahr indirectly).

I think the poison wasn't meant to kill. Belwas ate a whole bowl, and didn't die (though he was very strong). I think that was the point - if Dany ate a few locusts, she would be sick and it would be evident that she was poisoned. But the Shavepate didn't plan for her to die. He expects Dany to mistrust Hizdar, and break her peace with the Harpy because of this.

The peace in any case wasn't real because it was Volontis and Qorth that paid for the war not Yunkai and certainly not the sons of the Harpy. Daenerys managed to sell her principles down the river to gain time for her enemies to arrive, not her finest moment. On the other hand the sons of the Harpy played a weak hand and won within the time scale of ADWD, forcing Daenerys on to the defensive and getting a good deal of what they wanted. If the slave army that Volontis is sending was reliable they would stand a chance of getting slavery restored, as it is the long term outlook probably isn't too good for them.

By peace, I was referring to her peace with the Harpies. Not with the Yunkish / Volantene / Qarthene. I see no reason to doubt why the peace was real, if the Harpies didn't poison Dany.

Archived