Davos' quest to Cannibal Island

BaseBornBastard

This has probably been asked before, but whatevs. It seems likely that we wont get to see Davos locating and bringing back Rickon, as he is left off about halfway through ADWD, giving him plenty of time to just show up with the child by TWOW.

I find this a little disappointing as I was kinda hoping to see Skagos and read Davos' adventure to retrieve the Stark boy. Do you think there is any chance we might see it? GRRM could let us see it by simply running his story parallel to what has been happening towards the end of ADWD, thus allowing him to show up again in time for the Siege of Winterfell. I can't help but imagine how his mission will go. Manderly implies that Davos will need to smuggle Rickon out of Skagos, so does this suggest that the Skagosi will not simply allow Davos to take him? How will Osha react to some guy she's never seen before looking to bring Rickon back to the mainland, knowing that there are people who want Rickon dead? Plus, he can't exactly kidnap the child as he does have a vicious direwolf for a bodyguard. How do you think the specifics of Davos' mission are going to go?

I can see 1-2 Davos chapters taking place on Skagos. But I don't think there will be a "journey to" chapter, like there was on his way to White Harbor. I think his first chapter will be actual arrival on the island.

As to how it will go, it depends on Rickon's status on the island. Does everyone know about Rickon, or is he in hiding? If the former, I can see Davos talking the Skagosi into fighting for Stannis. If the latter, he will need to convince Osha to let Rickon return to the mainland. Both I think are entirely possible, as Davos could convince the Great Other to start worshipping R'hllor if it came to it. The dudes good.

I'm guessing flashbacks because I desperately want Davos to show up at the Siege of Winterfell, charging in with a horde of Skagosi all riding unicorns. Unless it's one of the first chapters and he gets back to the mainland really quickly.

I'm guessing flashbacks because I desperately want Davos to show up at the Siege of Winterfell, charging in with a horde of Skagosi all riding unicorns. Unless it's one of the first chapters and he gets back to the mainland really quickly.

I'd like to see him get back to the mainland quickly as well. But even if he does, he still has a long way to go before meeting up with Stannis. Winterfell is pretty far inland, and the North is currently in the grips of a major blizzard. Remember how long it took Stannis to get from Deepwood Motte to where he is now?

1. It might take a bit of time to get there - so it only skipped his journey there - and he will begin TWOW at Skagos.

2. The pace of the story increased.

3. The narrative is not sequential.

is there any actual proof of the Skagosi being cannibals? we know theres alot of bigotry in westeros from some cultures towards some others, the crannogmen get alot of shit aswell but from what we've seen of them they're pretty awesome..

is there any actual proof of the Skagosi being cannibals? we know theres alot of bigotry in westeros from some cultures towards some others, the crannogmen get alot of shit aswell but from what we've seen of them they're pretty awesome..

To be honest, I'm more inclined to believe it's just a load of hype. I just thought it would make a catchy thread title. I'd say the Skaagosi are more like a slightly more civilized Free Folk.

Very well could just be rumor. Similar things were said about the wildlings, and we've come to learn that most of that is not the case. Could be the same situation here.

The only thing I know is that GRRM mentioned at a Q&A session that he has "unicorns waiting in the wings" as far as describing creatures goes. He also said he'd love to bring in wyverns, but that's unrelated. So all in all, I think we will get at least one chapter on the island.

To be honest, I'm more inclined to believe it's just a load of hype. I just thought it would make a catchy thread title. I'd say the Skaagosi are more like a slightly more civilized Free Folk.

Oh i thought that, i wasn't being argumentative, was just wondering if id missed something and thinking out loud

Very well could just be rumor. Similar things were said about the wildlings, and we've come to learn that most of that is not the case. Could be the same situation here.

Similar things were also said about giants. The cannibalism thing is just a rumor or exaggeration that is likely encouraged by the Skagosi to keep unwanted visitors away from their island.

Manderly needs a skilled seaman, and the waters around Skagos are known to be dangerous. We will see Skagos, and Davos will manage to win the lords of Skagos. I think Davos may know how to sway Osha like he did Lord Borrell.

Archived