Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

So to continue the conversation we went on a bit about modern rap, styles etc...

...white rappers...

...Kendrick Lamar...

...Eminem...

...and finished on a comment by Grand Moff Mithrandir on Em's current tour going to...

So Shady is hitting our shores next February, I'd really like to go see him, but the ticket prices are eye watering. But seeing Shady on tour is probably a once in a lifetime opp, so i guess I'll have to make a plan.

I was playing NBA 2K13 with my friend a few days ago and a song began playing that went 'So Amazing, so amazing, so amazing- 'mazing- 'mazin'!'

That was the entirety of the song for five minutes. I was confused, my young friend called me old and said it was a hit song.

I'm a long time Eminem fan but got into him because of Dr. Dre, there was a time when this was a real art medium.

Childish Gambino's sophomore album Because the Internet was leaked recently (I think it goes on sale Friday).

http://theboombox.com/childish-gambino-because-the-internet-album-stream/

Some of its pretty good. I think I like Camp better, but I am officially reserving judgement until I've given it several more listens.

I've liked what I've heard of it so far. Sweatpants is a great track. Need to listen to the rest of the album.

song began playing that went 'So Amazing, so amazing, so amazing- 'mazing- 'mazin'!'

That was the entirety of the song for five minutes..

:lol:

I didn't listen to like any new rap this year but my brother xonstantly listens to Eminems new album and I think it's awful from what I've heard.

Well its Grammy time again here in the good USA.

Grammy Nominations

Unsurprisingly, Kanye West is complaining about the fact that Yeezus was only nominated for 2 awards.

Meanwhile, Jay Z was nominated for what I think was an undeserving 9 awards. 9. MCHG isn't really multiple-grammy worthy.

I agree The only good part of HG was TImberlake anyway everything else is pointless jibberish. Kanye needs to be shut the fuck up. I used to like his songs but now again he cant stay on topic, or actually make something catchy.

I agree The only good part of HG was TImberlake anyway everything else is pointless jibberish. Kanye needs to be shut the fuck up. I used to like his songs but now again he cant stay on topic, or actually make something catchy.

I almost think that Kendrick Lamar is the new Kanye. He has that same style and grasp of his own content in a way that Kanye used to. For Kanye the lyrical content, no matter how gripping, always seemed to be a part of his own packaging. It was almost smirking. You couldn't help but love it, but you also can't help but question how deeply he believes in anything that he ever rapped about. What I mean is, on some level he believes in what he says, but no message supersedes his own ego. Kendrick Lamar seems more genuine.

Hope that made sense. Happy to see him get 7 noms.

• 3 weeks later...

Raekwon interview.

What I mean is, on some level he believes in what he says, but no message supersedes his own ego. Kendrick Lamar seems more genuine.

Hope that made sense. Happy to see him get 7 noms.

I can see that. What I think is interesting about Kanye is his beliefs are contradictory. I think at times he's almost honest about his hypocrisy, but he doesn't change. Eminem is sorta similar, the supposed self-loathing as marketing scheme.

Also happy to see Kendrick get 7 noms.

Not a big rap fan anymore, though I often listen to the rap I used to listen to 10-15 years ago. The only rap CD I've bought in the last few years was the new Deltron 3030 album. I saw Del in concert in 2002… fucking horrible. I love Del on records, but he was crap live. Sat through 4 hours of shitty opening acts before Del came out, then when he did he basically just half-ass freestyled for 45 minutes and that was it. I know someone who saw the Deltron 3030 tour this past fall and they said he was much better than he used to be.

Best rap show I saw was Eminem back when "My Name Is" first came out, I think it was '98 or maybe early '99. It was before he got big because it was in a small club (Palladium in Worcester, MA), but it was such a great show. He had so much energy and put on a great show.

I dont know if anyones ever heard of this kid, but he's unsigned and out of the Boston area. Hes easily better than 90% of hip hop on the radio today, in my opinion, and I still cant understand how he isnt signed yet. He's a white rapper, I found him on youtube on accident a few years ago.

Millyz - http://youtu.be/ZUEk-l28lK4

I dont know if anyones ever heard of this kid, but he's unsigned and out of the Boston area. Hes easily better than 90% of hip hop on the radio today, in my opinion, and I still cant understand how he isnt signed yet. He's a white rapper, I found him on youtube on accident a few years ago.

Millyz - http://youtu.be/ZUEk-l28lK4

He's alright. I don't know about that 90% percentile though. I'll give him 65% :-)

Archived