Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

So OutKast announced that they'll be playing a total of 40 shows this year. Actual dates aren't confirmed yet but holy shit I'm excited.

I really hope they come to Florida, no one ever comes to fucking Florida.

If not, road trip to Atlanta.

Haven't visited these threads in a long time, but what's the opinion on J Cole? I used to be a huge fan when he started up with the Warm Up and followed it up with FNL, but he's kind of fallen flat with his studio albums. He just seems too generic, and his beats have an 'unfinished' sound to them. That and Kendrick's success make Cole look that much worse...

Recently I've started going back to some Childish Gambino, and his new album is pretty good. But I still don't get why Centipede didn't make the album.

Also what are your guys' thoughts on Andre Nickatina (if you've heard of him)? I've always been wondering why he never got big, I think his stuff is pretty slick. Played his songs back in the school days.

Ayo for Yayo

Jungle (ft Equipto)

Smoke Dope and Rap

Haven't visited these threads in a long time, but what's the opinion on J Cole? I used to be a huge fan when he started up with the Warm Up and followed it up with FNL, but he's kind of fallen flat with his studio albums. He just seems too generic, and his beats have an 'unfinished' sound to them. That and Kendrick's success make Cole look that much worse...

Recently I've started going back to some Childish Gambino, and his new album is pretty good. But I still don't get why Centipede didn't make the album.

Also what are your guys' thoughts on Andre Nickatina (if you've heard of him)? I've always been wondering why he never got big, I think his stuff is pretty slick. Played his songs back in the school days.

Ayo for Yayo

Jungle (ft Equipto)

Smoke Dope and Rap

I've never had a strong opinion on J Cole. I think he's decent enough, but he just never clicked with me.

Regarding Gambino, I agree on the new album. I actually thought Centipede was better than most of the songs on the album. It must have not fit the whole album going along with the screenplay thing.

Personally, I've gotten back into Clear Soul Forces and Astronautalis and they're even better than I remember.

That's some classic sounding rap right there. Get No Better would've been perfect for a weekend wake and bake back in the day...

Cole had some fire back in the day, but now he's settled into being generic. He's just 'not bad' as opposed to being the next great one.

Also I find myself always going back to Chronic 2001 and Aquemini. There isn't much out there today that compares to that old stuff.

Edit: Has anyone checked out Chance the Rapper? Personally I'm not a fan, but the guy sounds different and may be the next guy to blow up. I appreciate the originality. Pusha Man is pretty good off his album though.

Cole had some fire back in the day, but now he's settled into being generic. He's just 'not bad' as opposed to being the next great one.

.....I'm sorry but J Cole is anything but generic.

J Cole is lyrically superb and has excellent production skills and has the rare ability to tell a story throughout his music, how is that generic?

Required listening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAUVrgHYao - Villuminati

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gvHwgwkok - Kenny Lofton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVquVB12Tpw - Chaining Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLF39513uwM - Let Nas Down

Born Sinner was my favorite Hip-Hop/Rap album of last year. It out sold Yezzus (they were released on the same day I think).

Now in regards to the "next great one" comment, he's only 28 so he still has time to improve, and I don't think anybody had incredibly high expectations, he's no Nas, but he's surely better than 90% of the mainstream rappers in the industry atm.

Lyrically he is good, but the overall product isn't anything special to me. I guess 'generic' was the wrong word, I meant that he (1) doesn't do much (aside from lyrics) that sets him apart from other 'mainstream' guys, and (2) hasn't built on what made him such a great listen in his mix tape days. In fact I find that his production value is the worst thing about his music. It's still pretty good, but he needs to branch out to other producers imo. He produces all of his own tracks (even produced Kdot's HiiPower), but to me lately it has had an 'unfinished' sound to it.

Personally I was disappointed in Born Sinner (and Sideline Story before that), but I can see what's still there to like about Cole these days. It's just that for me he's not all that great anymore.

All that says nothing about his live performance ability. He's pretty damn good on stage. Rocked it both times he came out to Edmonton.

I have heard all of his old stuff, which to me is way better than his new stuff (Warm Up is my personal favourite). I'm probably overreacting on Cole, he's good but Kendrick has really overshadowed him the last couple years, when Cole hasn't progressed as much.

And Born Sinner isn't in my top 5 for 2013 (in no particular order):

My Name is My Name

Old

Nothing Was the Same

Acid Rap (I know I said I wasn't a fan of Chance, but I actually liked this one)

Doris

The album years are strange, because GKMC is up for a Grammy this year, even though it came out in 2012. That is the best album in the last year and a half.

I have heard all of his old stuff, which to me is way better than his new stuff (Warm Up is my personal favourite). I'm probably overreacting on Cole, he's good but Kendrick has really overshadowed him the last couple years, when Cole hasn't progressed as much.

My Name is My Name

Old

Nothing Was the Same

Acid Rap (I know I said I wasn't a fan of Chance, but I actually liked this one)

Doris

The album years are strange, because GKMC is up for a Grammy this year, even though it came out in 2012. That is the best album in the last year and a half.

I only listened to Nothing was the Same and Doris.

Nothing was the Same is great but I don't know I really like Earl Sweatshirt and I'm a fan od the Earl mixtape but i'm not too fond of Doris.

My Name is My Name

Old

Nothing Was the Same

Doris

I'm with you on all of those being excellent, but Acid Rap isn't actually an album so my list would probably look a bit different.

Top Albums: Doris, NWTS, Run The Jewels, My Name Is My Name and Old.

Top Mixtape: Acid Rap

Top Disappointment: MMLP2

Most Pleasant Surprise: Watching Movies With The Sound Off. Never liked anything I heard from Mac Miller before this album.

ETA: I haven't even listened to Born Sinner, J-Cole hasn't really been on my radar at all. I need to check it out.

I'm with you on all of those being excellent, but Acid Rap isn't actually an album so my list would probably look a bit different.

Top Albums: Doris, NWTS, Run The Jewels, My Name Is My Name and Old.

Top Mixtape: Acid Rap

Top Disappointment: MMLP2

Most Pleasant Surprise: Watching Movies With The Sound Off. Never liked anything I heard from Mac Miller before this album.

ETA: I haven't even listened to Born Sinner, J-Cole hasn't really been on my radar at all. I need to check it out.

Oh ok my mistake, forgot that Acid Rain was a mix tape. I made a similar mistake with Section.80, thinking it was a mix tape when it's actually an album. Damn labels!

And wow I can't believe I forgot Run the Jewels. That was a good one too. I'd sub that in for Acid Rain as well.

I was disappointed in MMLP2 on first listen, but it grew on me. It's still not that great, but isn't as disappointing as I initially thought.

As for Doris, I'm in the opposite camp in that I wasn't too high on Earl's mix tapes, but I liked Doris (even though it's basically the same type of stuff).

I listened to the whole MMLP2 for the first time the other day, and I like it. It's got some incredible songs, and some snoozers.

Off the top of my head; 'Bad Guy', 'Legacy', 'Rap God', 'The Monster', 'Headlights', and 'Evil Twin' are pretty awesome.

I don't listen to much rap (or music in general) these days.

My favorites in no particular order including mixtapes & albums:

Born Sinner (J Cole),

Nothing Was The Same (Drake)

The Way I See It (CJ Fly)

Long Live A$AP (A$AP Rocky)

My Name is My Name (Pusha T)

Blue Chips 2 (Action Bronson/Party Supplies)

BetterOffDEAD (Flatbush Zombies)

Archived