Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Seriously, I just read a post on /r/HipHopHeads a week or two ago by a guy who went to some clothing store next to a venue Kanye was about to perform in and ended up meeting both him and Kim Kardashian (had photos to prove it) and according to him Kanye (and Kim for that matter) was nice as hell. Spent a few minutes just talking to him about music and other shit and he seemed genuinely interested and thankful for the guy's support.

It's cool to hear that sort of shit when he generally comes off as a total cock.

I always wonder if that's just what he wants people to think about him. Just a part of a gimmick. He really is enigmatic.

I always wonder if that's just what he wants people to think about him. Just a part of a gimmick. He really is enigmatic.

"As soon as they like you make 'em unlike you"

-The God

Honestly I suspect at times, some of the things he says sound so strange that you can't really be sure he's serious.That whole Sway thing seemed staged too. Then a lot of the time you hear him in interviews and he does sound that frantic. The corporation and fashion thing definitely seems to matter to him,the question is: how much? And the rest of the crazy shit about risking his life? Who knows.

*I've heard stories, both online and from friends, that Kanye's personality in the media couldn't be further from what he's like in person, away from the spotlight. :dunno:

It probably helps that he's dealing with actual fans instead of paparazzi assholes. Having those people picking at your life would piss you off,

Seems like a gimmick to me. I saw part of an interview he did with Kim's mom and it was totally different.

Been watching a lot of Korean TV on Youtube, and they seem to be more comfortable with the idea of a "persona" people adopt for media spotlight. For example, an idol named Park Gyuri is incredibly vain (calling herself the Goddess of Beauty) in variety shows but when asked if that was her real personality she said she'd be crazy [if] it was.

Some of it may be an act, albeit an unwise one at times (I mean,you can't really talk about feeling like a soldier, it's American man). But when you hear him on the radio un-ironically complaining about being "rejected" because he has to settle for money instead of royalties or him losing his mind at his label mate's party I suspect that's his inner narcissist balking at rejection. It's such a recurring theme and seems to be so completely centred around being the odd kid out rather than some counter-culture image that you have to wonder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Uli874FAg#t=13

New Lil Wayne track featuring Drake. I haven't been digging Wayne for a long time, but he goes in on this track. Punchline shit is at a minimum. It honestly sounds more like a Drake track with a Wayne feature than the other way around though.

Check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I saw Army of the Pharaohs last night in Manhattan and they ripped it. It was a fun show, they were on for maybe 2 hours and it was a small venue so everything sounded great. Played some classics and Ill Bill was there too so that was a bonus. I finally got to see Apathy, Celph and Vinnie Paz... good times.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmddPo_c2oE&hd=1

If you told me anytime in the last few years that I would ever look forward to a Wayne album again I'd have laughed in your face, but damn...he is back on point. I dig this.

Don't know how you all feel about Mac Miller, but he released a new mixtape today, and I think its pretty damn good.

Mac Miller- Faces (Mixtape)

I never liked Mac Miller before Watching Movies, but that album was pretty decent. I'll check this out for sure.

• 2 months later...

I was playing NBA 2K13 with my friend a few days ago and a song began playing that went 'So Amazing, so amazing, so amazing- 'mazing- 'mazin'!'

That was the entirety of the song for five minutes. I was confused, my young friend called me old and said it was a hit song.

I'm a long time Eminem fan but got into him because of Dr. Dre, there was a time when this was a real art medium.

You mean back in the day when Tupac was giving people an inside look into the struggles people go through in the ghetto and Snoop was actually rapping about life rather than telling us what to do with a big fat butt?

Granted you can still find some hip hop that touches on important issues, but you have to wade through a whole lot of crap.

You mean back in the day when Tupac was giving people an inside look into the struggles people go through in the ghetto and Snoop was actually rapping about life rather than telling us what to do with a big fat butt?

Granted you can still find some hip hop that touches on important issues, but you have to wade through a whole lot of crap.

Thanks to your necro reply I just learned that Sci likes The Breakfast Club. The most surprising thing in this thread tbh.

https://soundcloud.com/productomart/rtj2-blockbuster-night-part-1-snippet

Preview of a track from the second Run The Jewels album. So dope.

Only Killer Mike could say "oodles and oodles" and still sound hard...

Definitely looking forward to that shit. It was also my favourite of 2013.

Speaking of upcoming albums, I just heard a snippet of a new Kanye song, and I'm really liking it. It could be a great album if it's full of stuff like this (even though this does sound unfinished).

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/kanye-west-black-bruce-wayne-snippet-new-song.1906741.html

Ok so Outkast performed at Coachella last night, and imo it was...underwhelming. The lack of reception from the audience looked like it wore on Andre.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/watch-outkast-s-coachella-reunion-performance-in-full-new-video.27497.html

It's sad how little reverence hip hop has for continuity. Unless your name is Jay-Z or you're dead, then you're literally forgotten the year after you release your last hit,... no matter how many hit albums preceded it. It has a lot to do with the fact that rap is mostly marketed like pop music. It's an industry that only cares about the lasted new artist.

Here's a good read on this...

Yeah, I don't know if a Coachella crowd is a great sample group for hip-hop knowledge or appreciation of older artists. If I were a betting man I'd say most of the apathetic kids in the crowd went in expecting to hear Hey Ya and bunch of shit that sounds just like it. Granted I've never been to Coachella, maybe it's a different type of crowd than I imagine it is.

I'd rather see what kind of reception their solo shows are getting. I'm going to try to drive up to Atlanta for their show their in September myself.

It's sad how little reverence hip hop has for continuity. Unless your name is Jay-Z or you're dead, then you're literally forgotten the year after you release your last hit,... no matter how many hit albums preceded it. It has a lot to do with the fact that rap is mostly marketed like pop music. It's an industry that only cares about the lasted new artist.

Here's a good read on this...

I don't know if I agree that there's a lack of reverence. If anything I feel there's too much reverence for older artists sometimes. But then I'm basing this off hip-hop specific message boards and shit that I frequent.

Archived