Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

It's sad how little reverence hip hop has for continuity. Unless your name is Jay-Z or you're dead, then you're literally forgotten the year after you release your last hit,... no matter how many hit albums preceded it. It has a lot to do with the fact that rap is mostly marketed like pop music. It's an industry that only cares about the lasted new artist.

Here's a good read on this...

It's a good point, but I'm not sure I agree. I feel that the hip hop legends get a ton of respect and are revered by even casual listeners - similar to the old rock star (see Jay-Z and Watch the throne). Those guys happen to be the artists who can stand the test of time, so they earn the reverence in a sense.

I do get that the 'flavour of the month' type rappers get a ton of love, which irks me sometimes. But if those types don't produce hits, they will quickly be forgotten.

But anyway, a couple weeks ago I was at the Pemberton music festival (in BC). Not only was Outkast awesome, but the crowd was outstanding. I think that Outkast coachella set was just a one-off, bad day, etc.

God, I used to be such a twat hipster self-proclaimed expert about hip-hop. It's been a while since I actually listened to some actively, I kinda miss it.

That being said, I'm not a lot into guys like Childish Gambino (love him in Community though) or Asap Rocky. I prefer what TDE has been releasing recently, especially Ab-Soul (the Schoolboy Q album was okay, but I think I need to listen to it a second time), and I find the Flatbush Zombies quite enjoyable. I've seen Earl Sweatshirt in July, it was pretty good too. Though the only ones that really made me go nuts lately are The Doppelgangaz. If you haven't listened to their albums, I enthousiastically recommend them.

One thing I wanted to share though, is a couple of classics from home. French hip-hop is pretty active, and has a pretty long history too. Hope you'll enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUVqtZSCzjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyx_JsRzEEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVq_qZuhLzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzUME6LNck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyjQFMksvaM

is anyone who hiphops good christians

If you're asking whether or not there is Christian hip-hop out there, yes there is. As for whether or not any of it is good, I can't really say since I don't listen to it. Not being a Christian it doesn't really appeal to me. I know Jin is a Christian rapper now, but I never really liked any of his studio music. He was an awesome battler back in the day though.

Google search found this, you could check it out and see if you like any of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxu6f0f0e4

If you're asking whether or not there is Christian hip-hop out there, yes there is. As for whether or not any of it is good, I can't really say since I don't listen to it. Not being a Christian it doesn't really appeal to me. I know Jin is a Christian rapper now, but I never really liked any of his studio music. He was an awesome battler back in the day though.

Google search found this, you could check it out and see if you like any of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxu6f0f0e4

Hopsin used to be a Christian, except he just quit all that now.

But , not being too familiar with his work, it only came across in Ill Mind 5

Hopsin used to be a Christian, except he just quit all that now.

But , not being too familiar with his work, it only came across in Ill Mind 5

Well I'm sure most American rappers probably identify as Christian but when I think Christian hip-hop I think music where the lyrical content is all about Christianity or glorifying God or whatever. Hopsin raps about killing people and shit doesn't he? :P

I'm not really a fan of his but I remember his music being pretty angry and violent from what I listened to in the past.

Well I'm sure most American rappers probably identify as Christian but when I think Christian hip-hop I think music where the lyrical content is all about Christianity or glorifying God or whatever. Hopsin raps about killing people and shit doesn't he? :P

I'm not really a fan of his but I remember his music being pretty angry and violent from what I listened to in the past.

I can't recall him ever rapping about killing people. But then, I've never sat down and listened to a full album (that really goes for all these internet rappers tbh) but sure, if you want to find the hedonism of rap and a sort of nice guy bitterness, I'm sure you can find it in his music.

So uhh, Nicki Minaj released her Anaconda video. After watching it many times, I realized that the song is absolutely terrible.

Edit: also noticed a 'Beats Pill' speaker, which continues a disturbing trend of those things showing up in recent videos.

Haven't Beats basically been using hip hop as a delivery mechanism for their ads forever now?

Also: that Anaconda video...it's pretty sad. Two hits for Iggy and Nicki is going for the nuclear option. This might actually hurt more than help her. It's a parody at this point.

Haven't Beats basically been using hip hop as a delivery mechanism for their ads forever now?

Yeah they have, especially since Dre started pushing that brand. Maybe it's that I haven't seen many videos lately, so I'm not up to date on this whole product placement trend.

Also: that Anaconda video...it's pretty sad. Two hits for Iggy and Nicki is going for the nuclear option. This might actually hurt more than help her. It's a parody at this point.

Ah, yes I sense there may be a 'battle' between the two involving anything but rap (dat ass of course) . But really I don't know much about either artist, so I have no idea how or even if Iggy will respond. Do I care? Of course not.

--

Now for a quality video, here's Action Bronson's 'Easy Rider'. This is one of the coolest videos I've seen in a while.

Yeah Anaconda is a thoroughly terrible song, haven't bothered to watch the video yet. "Dick bigger than a tower I ain't talking bout Eiffels. Pussy put his ass to sleep now he calling me Nyquil." Really? Come on Nikki you can do better than that.

In happier news, the full version of that Run The Jewels song just dropped: https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/rtj-blockbuster-night-part-1/

My hype level for this album is off the charts.

And that Bronson video is awesome, so is the song. Bronson just keeps impressing me more and more with everything he drops.

That being said, I'm not a lhot into guys like Childish Gambino (love him in Community though) or Asap Rocky. I prefer what TDE has been releasing recently, especially Ab-Soul (the

I was really looking forward to These days - ab soul

but it was a major dissapointment listend to it 3 time then deleted,

Yeah Anaconda is a thoroughly terrible song, haven't bothered to watch the video yet. "Dick bigger than a tower I ain't talking bout Eiffels. Pussy put his ass to sleep now he calling me Nyquil." Really? Come on Nikki you can do better than that.

And that Bronson video is awesome, so is the song. Bronson just keeps impressing me more and more with everything he drops.

I haven't heard the song, I've just seen the video without sound. I think I'm not going to inquire any further

I was really looking forward to These days - ab soul

but it was a major dissapointment listend to it 3 time then deleted,

These Days... is definately not anywhere close to Control System IMO, but I still enjoyed it a lot (and still enjoying it TBH).

Archived