Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

J Cole I remember I liked one of his mixtapes back in the day then all his songs started to sound the same

Personally I think this is hilarious. I always get a kick out of Eminem fans getting their panties twisted (I like Eminem's earlier work but I'm not a stan).

Not a huge J Cole fan. Don't hate him, just never got into him. Nothing will come of this, probably. But I can hear the sound of Eminem's teenage suburban army sharpening their pitchforks now. Who am I kidding? Their pitchforks are already sharpened after Iggy Azalea responded to his comment on how he was going to rape her.

Yeah, how dare an artist not want to hear rape lyrics about her specifically from one of the industry's potentates! Watching or joining Eminem discussions is an exercise in frustration. Dude needs to leave the 90s behind.

But I've heard these sentiments expressed about J. Cole before. Some go as far as to say that he's boring, which is sad. I feel like he's a good or even great rapper/producer that's downgraded because he doesn't have a...I don't want to say gimmick so distinguishing trait? He just raps, and he can spin a tale. I've liked most of the shit I've heard on his albums so I'd recommend giving it a try.

Yeah, how dare an artist not want to hear rape lyrics about her specifically from one of the industry's potentates! Watching or joining Eminem discussions is an exercise in frustration. Dude needs to leave the 90s behind.

But I've heard these sentiments expressed about J. Cole before. Some go as far as to say that he's boring, which is sad. I feel like he's a good or even great rapper/producer that's downgraded because he doesn't have a...I don't want to say gimmick so distinguishing trait? He just raps, and he can spin a tale. I've liked most of the shit I've heard on his albums so I'd recommend giving it a try.

I've listened to most of his work since Warm Up, and I'll agree...he's a good technical rapper but he lacks an identity for me. Also to me, he doesn't seem to get high or low - emotionally, he seems to be the same in most of his songs. I know there are exceptions, but the same flow over a period of time can grow tiresome on the ears.

That said, I will be picking up this album on Tuesday. It's definitely worth a spin, from what I've heard so far. :D

From what I've heard out of the leak, Fire Squad (where the Eminem 'diss' is) and Tale of Two Cities are the 2 best songs.

I haven't listened to Common's album so I can't speak on it. As far as the rest, Because The Internet is the only one that deserves a nomination (even though I liked Oxymoron). Iggy will win, there's no question.

Far as I'm concerned there should be two nominations, Because The Internet and RTJ2, and RTJ2 should win. This was not a great year for hip-hop.

I think Em can get away with a win.However you feel about his current album's quality it's still Eminem. It's Iggy that would blow the whole thing up. We need more drama after the Kendrick/Macklemore thing so...Go Iggy!

I can't wait for the cuts to Nicki Minaj looking like she swallowed a lemon.

I haven't listened to Common's album so I can't speak on it. As far as the rest, Because The Internet is the only one that deserves a nomination (even though I liked Oxymoron). Iggy will win, there's no question.

Far as I'm concerned there should be two nominations, Because The Internet and RTJ2, and RTJ2 should win. This was not a great year for hip-hop.

I guess RTJ2 came out too late for this years grammys. But I doubt it'll get nominated next year either.

It seems like it's coming to the point where the (rap related) Grammys are at about the same level as those teen choice awards in terms of legitimacy. Yeah, it wasn't a good year for hip hop, but now it's just a popularity contest.

Anaconda got nominated for best rap song? Seriously? Video aside, that was complete trash...

It seems like it's coming to the point where the (rap related) Grammys are at about the same level as those teen choice awards in terms of legitimacy. Yeah, it wasn't a good year for hip hop, but now it's just a popularity contest.

Anaconda got nominated for best rap song? Seriously? Video aside, that was complete trash...

Can't believe society rewarded that shitty,cynical song.

• 2 weeks later...

What are people thinking of 2014 Forest Hill Drive? I'm loving it.

Wet Dreamz, A Tale of 2 Citiez and Fire Squad are standouts for me.

What differentiates Cole from everyone else in the game is his unique flow, lyrical story-telling ability and truly honest production values. No gimmicks, no trap and no catering to the new temporary hip hop flavor of the month sounds, his music is timeless. Honestly, if you can't appreciate his music I would go as far as to say you're not a true rap/hip hop fan, I know it's a bold thing to say, but it really is fitting imo. You don't have to love his music, simply appreciate it for what it is, which is grade A rap the vast majority of the time.

Edit: Songs like these, wow, simply perfection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZakAmlcL9w

What are people thinking of 2014 Forest Hill Drive? I'm loving it.

Wet Dreamz, A Tale of 2 Citiez and Fire Squad are standouts for me.

What differentiates Cole from everyone else in the game is his unique flow, lyrical story-telling ability and truly honest production values. No gimmicks, no trap and no catering to the new temporary hip hop flavor of the month sounds, his music is timeless. Honestly, if you can't appreciate his music I would go as far as to say you're not a true rap/hip hop fan, I know it's a bold thing to say, but it really is fitting imo. You don't have to love his music, simply appreciate it for what it is, which is grade A rap the vast majority of the time.

Edit: Songs like these, wow, simply perfection.

Yeesh that's a loaded statement. You're allowed to be a fan of hip hop if you don't 'appreciate' his music; hip hop is broad enough to cater to different tastes. There are many people who find Cole very bland and uninspiring, and I can see where they're coming from. I don't agree, but I understand some of the criticism. I really liked 'Apparently' at first, for example, but his transition from his first verse about his mother, to his 2nd one about banging chicks is kind of jarring (even comical). That may be the point, but in retrospect I really didn't like that.

To me he's a good storyteller without a distinguishing trait (as Castel put it upthread). Also it's great to hear him doing so well - 361k sales in the first week, without any promo or singles! Good stuff. I love how he's dedicated to he craft itself. Not a fan of him personally, but I'll always support that dedication, which is why I picked up his album.

In other news, (King) Kendrick performed on Colbert's show last night. I personally liked the more jazz-ish vibe in this track (which is most likely called Multiply?). And he went hard as fuck on this one, as always:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I4Rmd3bD8mQ

Talking about not being a "real hiphop" fan is not really a good move. It never looks good.

Plenty of reasons to not be a Cole stan.As mentioned he doesn't grab some people and that's important, like it or not. His subject matter may be cringeworthy (Wet Dreamz), the same as a lot of other rappers (a lot of his stuff about women is just the same as other rappers even though he has songs like Lost Ones), some people don't like his singing and his "relatable" image doesn't do it for some. There's nothing to be done, if you don't buy into it you don't/;

As for FHD, haven't really listened to it from start to finish that much. I've listened to it all the way through about twice. Fire Squad and aTo2C (and GOMD) were obviously good, but I'll reserve my (stronger) opinion until I hear it again.

2014 Forrrest Hills Drive is definitely weaker than Born Sinner but after repeated listen it grew on me. I find the criticisms about Coles blandness kinda unfair, he raps with enormous passion and soul, its the production that is lacking, imo.

Anyways, Kendrick performed a new track on Stephen Colbert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA082sN2QLY

So anyone following this Bobby Shmurda indictment? Apparently they had him on tape since before Hot Nigga dropped. Can't believe that Bobby Shmurda , who watered down whining as a dance for guys, is the real gangster in the game right now. Ah well, from the looks of it he's the new Shyne, we'll see you in a decade or two.

So I listened to the Forest Hills Drive again a few times and I like it more. People mention Fire Squad and Tale but GOMD also stuck out to me because of the production and '03 Adolescenz because of the story. The message of Love Yourz falls flat for me but I can appreciate the sincere sentiment behind it. I'm not really sure I want messages that clear and direct from Cole (or Kendrick for that matter).

Overall a good album but I don't know if it'll slip into my regular playlist where songs like Let Nas Down,Trouble,MIss America (and most of Sideline Story, that album is great for casual listening) already reside.

Please tell me someone has seen the freestyle battle between Killer Mike and Action Bronson while they are both running on a treadmill. Great lyricists, being brilliant and fat, and eventually out of breath. Amazing stuff ;)

Please tell me someone has seen the freestyle battle between Killer Mike and Action Bronson while they are both running on a treadmill. Great lyricists, being brilliant and fat, and eventually out of breath. Amazing stuff ;)

Haha! On the Eric Andre show right? That show is nuts and I love it. Action Bronson is great.

So anyone following this Bobby Shmurda indictment? Apparently they had him on tape since before Hot Nigga dropped. Can't believe that Bobby Shmurda , who watered down whining as a dance for guys, is the real gangster in the game right now. Ah well, from the looks of it he's the new Shyne, we'll see you in a decade or two.

So I listened to the Forest Hills Drive again a few times and I like it more. People mention Fire Squad and Tale but GOMD also stuck out to me because of the production and '03 Adolescenz because of the story. The message of Love Yourz falls flat for me but I can appreciate the sincere sentiment behind it. I'm not really sure I want messages that clear and direct from Cole (or Kendrick for that matter).

Overall a good album but I don't know if it'll slip into my regular playlist where songs like Let Nas Down,Trouble,MIss America (and most of Sideline Story, that album is great for casual listening) already reside.

Shmurda basically told his crimes in his tracks. It was only a matter of time to catch him. I'm not cheering that he got imprisoned and I won't go on the streets yelling Free SHmurda, but I won't deny Hot nigga bangs so its kind of a shame he was so reckless. And don't diss the shmoney, dance its a classic.

Shmurda basically told his crimes in his tracks. It was only a matter of time to catch him. I'm not cheering that he got imprisoned and I won't go on the streets yelling Free SHmurda, but I won't deny Hot nigga bangs so its kind of a shame he was so reckless. And don't diss the shmoney, dance its a classic.

That's the thing though, he was under surveillance before Hot Nigga dropped I think. I don't think they're even bothering to bring up what he said on his songs because they don't want to deal with the PR problem.

It does kinda color my impression of Hot Nigga after the fact though, it comes across as far more morbid, having the entire country running around singing about Mitch catching a body. It's something one of the stereotypical critics of hip hop would talk about and they must be nodding their heads smugly in this situation.

Archived