Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

"Surprise move" lol. Rappers literally cannot stop copying 'Yonce. How many more times can it happen before people start getting annoyed by it I wonder? Record company is claiming it was a computer error apparently. Yeah, OK :lol: Personally I'm just happy to get the album a week early.

So with that being said, it is so far from anything I was expecting that it's kinda crazy. I know Kendrick himself said in multiple interviews not to expect another GKMC and I wasn't, but I didn't expect this much of a departure either.

It's jazzy. Very jazzy. Some people I'm sure (and I've already seen a bit of this on other sites) are going to say too jazzy. As a massive jazz fan though...fuck yes. More of this please. Lack of bangers as Jabronius pointed out will be another sticking point for some people I'm sure.

The album version of 'i' is amazing. Better than the single version and I loved the single version. Other stand out tracks after two listens for me are 'Complexion (A Zulu Love)' and 'u'. Some of the lyrics in Complexion hit like a punch to the chest, made me pause the music and just think for a while.

As for 'u', the anger in the first half of the song followed by the sorrow after the beat change are both so intense. That song is probably my favorite right now.

I love this album. I love it so much it's crazy. When I first listened to GKMC I remember thinking it was the best major label release I had heard in a very long time, and To Pimp A Butterfly blows it out of the water for me.

Going into the third spin right now, I think I'll have this thing on repeat all day.

I love the jazzy feel too; and I really appreciate the g-funk type direction Kenny took with this album. I'm just not going to proclaim anything after the first day. This is a really good album so far though. Did you get to the end of Mortal Man?

Yeah.

I kinda ruined it for myself because I got curious about who the other person was that he was talking to (not realizing it was someone playing a character) and Googled it. Spoiled the little 'surprise' at the end. Still awesome though.

I loved the way he kept adding to the poem over the course of the album, with the bits and pieces he added seeming to reflect what the last track had been about in some way and setting up the next one. Kendrick is a damn genius.

Yeah.

I kinda ruined it for myself because I got curious about who the other person was that he was talking to (not realizing it was someone playing a character) and Googled it. Spoiled the little 'surprise' at the end. Still awesome though.

I loved the way he kept adding to the poem over the course of the album, with the bits and pieces he added seeming to reflect what the last track had been about in some way and setting up the next one. Kendrick is a damn genius.

I went into it cold, and my jaw dropped. I thought that was an awesome touch to finish the album with Tupac. The song itself was pretty great, but it felt like it was ripped straight off S80. And the end actually loops pretty well back to the first song, Wesley's Theory.

I also loved how that poem was built up as the album went along. I was startled by the scream at the start of 'U', just after he said he was screaming in a hotel room (in his poem).

Have any of y'all checked out Big Sean's Dark Sky Paradise? It's a great album.

Not really a Big Sean fan, but I've enjoyed what I've heard from the album. I've had All Your Fault (ft. Kanye West) on repeat for the past two weeks or so.

Not really a Big Sean fan, but I've enjoyed what I've heard from the album. I've had All Your Fault (ft. Kanye West) on repeat for the past two weeks or so.

Fun fact, that song is apparently a throwaway from Kanye's upcoming album (confirmed by Travis Scott, I'm looking for the link). But even at the start of the song, Kanye goes 'that's that new Ye'.

That and Blessed were the best songs on Big Sean's album for me.

Fun fact, that song is apparently a throwaway from Kanye's upcoming album (confirmed by Travis Scott, I'm looking for the link). But even at the start of the song, Kanye goes 'that's that new Ye'.

That and Blessed were the best songs on Big Sean's album for me.

Paradise was also good. But it shows a problem.

People REALLY hate on Big Sean. His mediocrity is more offensive to them than someone actually being horrible. And...honestly, I see their point. Paradise is the only song that Sean carried himself that I liked. The rest were either carried by Drake or Kanye. IDFWU is just a bit too...childish(?) for constant listening.

Paradise was also good. But it shows a problem.

People REALLY hate on Big Sean. His mediocrity is more offensive to them than someone actually being horrible. And...honestly, I see their point. Paradise is the only song that Sean carried himself that I liked. The rest were either carried by Drake or Kanye. IDFWU is just a bit too...childish(?) for constant listening.

That's the exact problem that I have with him overall. It's like listening to a high schooler rap. He has the talent, and shows flashes, but just can't seem to grow up.

There's that, and people see that his contemporaries (Drake, Kenny, J Cole for example) have all lapped him so to speak. For some reason that's held against him, at least that's what it seems like to me.

I think the entire album is solid. Blessed, Deep, and One Man Can Change the World are my favorite songs on the album. I think the outro is one of the better ones in hip hop.

About the criticisms towards Sean: I feel like his music is what happens when you take real talent + anecdotal evidence about how the world works and make rap music. I like him because he's relatable to so many people I would call friends. If I want...deep music, I'll listen to Outkast, Common and Lupe. I enjoy Sean's niche.

I think the entire album is solid. Blessed, Deep, and One Man Can Change the World are my favorite songs on the album. I think the outro is one of the better ones in hip hop.

About the criticisms towards Sean: I feel like his music is what happens when you take real talent + anecdotal evidence about how the world works and make rap music. I like him because he's relatable to so many people I would call friends. If I want...deep music, I'll listen to Outkast, Common and Lupe. I enjoy Sean's niche.

The problem with Sean is that he doesn't make the not-deep music either. If Common is deep then Drake isn't and J.Cole is only intermittently so. Yet, as mentioned these people do that sort of music better than Sean does while also being relatable.

I like parts of the album but I think the critiques of him as an artist are valid.

New Sweatshirt album just popped up on iTunes for pre-order, releases in a week. I'm so ready.

Mid-March and 2015 is already a better year for hip-hop than all of 2014. AND we still have Bronson, Drake, Kanye, Rocky, Frank Ocean, Mac Miller, Isaiah Rashad and Hov all dropping (or potentially dropping) their new projects this year.

TYBG.

Not that I'm really excited for new Jay and Kanye after their last efforts but I'll give 'em a shot regardless.

Don't forget about Jay Rock man! His album kept getting pushed back because of Kendrick, but now it's free and clear to launch (hopefully) soon.

Judging by the quality of Parental Advisory and Pay for It, this album will be a great listen.

Soonâ„¢

Maybe we'll get Act II, Winds of Winter and Half Life 3 while we're at it :P

Nearly done. Might be this year. Doesn't that sound familiar :P

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/mar/19/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-finish-book-six-winds-of-winter

Still though, if anyone has earned the title of Rap Game GRRM it's Jay Electronica. (Would be Dre if he hadn't scrapped Detox altogether)

EIGHT YEARS JAY WHERE THE HELL IS ACT II?

New Sweatshirt album just popped up on iTunes for pre-order, releases in a week. I'm so ready.

Can't wait, Doris and Earl were great. First single was good too but Earl needs to shave, damn.

Anyway, To Pimp A Butterfly is beautiful. I like it musically, especially Hood politics, Blacker The Berry and Wesley's Theory but the concept of the album how it leads to the message and the lyrical content in general are out of this world :bowdown:

Hmm, please excuse me while I go fire up the Hype Train...I know he later tweeted something to the effect of 'don't get your hopes up', clearly as a response to this news. BUT A MAN CAN DREAM DAMMIT.

Anyway, To Pimp A Butterfly is beautiful. I like it musically, especially Hood politics, Blacker The Berry and Wesley's Theory but the concept of the album how it leads to the message and the lyrical content in general are out of this world :bowdown:

I'm not sure what it says about the album but everyone seems to have different favourites in Butterfly. Mine are 'How Much a Dollar Cost', 'Hood Politics', and 'Mortal Man'. This may change though, because King Kunta and Wesley's Theory are gaining appeal for me. If anything, I guess that speaks to the varied sound and depth of the album. Props to Kendrick for releasing this gem.

Any track with a FlyLo beat is automatically gonna rise to the top in my eyes so Wesley's Theory is definitely up there for me. 'u' and 'These Walls' are my overall favorites, but I love every track on that album.

Archived