Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Been bumping Travis Scott's Days Before Rodeo.

The production is exquisite [emoji108] and Travis' flow is very appealing to me.

Still need to get my hands on To Pimp a Butterfly.

Listening to that opening track right now. Great intro.

I honestly haven't really bothered to get into To Pimp a Butterfly. I gave it a cursory listen and noted the production but just didn't follow through. Doesn't help that my headphones are broken so all the dead time I have travelling isn't being used for it.

I've heard nothing but good things about it though, so I suppose I'm eventually going to have to do it.

Still on this, tetsuo and youth >> to pimp a butterfly

This is how you commit suicide by Kendrick-stan :P.

Listening to that opening track right now. Great intro.

Man Wondagurl, the chick who produced that track, is solid. I'd like to see her do more work with Drake.

Also, am I the only one who'd like to see Asap Rocky & Schoolboy Q do a mixtape or something together? I love the chemistry between them.

HOLY SHIT

BADBADNOTGOOD are doing a whole album with Ghostface Killah, drops in February. First track is fucking phenomenal:

For those who don't know, BBNG is a jazz trio from Canada who do covers of hip-hop songs. They just released their first album of original material back in July I think and if you haven't checked it out yet you should.

This sounds similar to what the Brand New Heavies did in the 90s; an album with the likes of Guru, Kool G Rap, The Pharcyde, and others. It was dope.

Edited: stupid auto correct.

Top two albums of the year for me but Lupe is a better rapper than Kendrick imo so I like it more, both are really fucking good

Them's fighting words!

Kidding aside, it's a matter of taste so that's all good. For me, T&Y was miles better than Butterfly initially, but after I had some time to really listen to it I'll give the nod to Kendrick. They're both fantastic albums though.

And Mr Wonderful was frankly a disappointment. It had no standout tracks, and a few that I thought were downright bad. Earl's album, on the other hand was decent but I'm not a fan of the downtrodden, slower tone.

I haven't checked out Mr. Wonderful yet. I agree on Earl's album though. It was really dark, and I liked the minimalist beats and the fact that he produced pretty much the entire thing himself. He just sounded...bored I guess? That's the only way I can describe it. Like he didn't even feel like rapping on half of it. Definitely doesn't hold up to Doris.

I haven't listened to T&Y yet either but I've never been a huge fan of Lupe personally.

Been bumping Travis Scott's Days Before Rodeo.

The production is exquisite [emoji108] and Travis' flow is very appealing to me.

Still need to get my hands on To Pimp a Butterfly.

Production is a1. But his rapping isn't all that to me. Thugger and Rich Homie Quan both outshine him on there, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Production is a1. But his rapping isn't all that to me. Thugger and Rich Homie Quan both outshine him on there, imo.

This new breed of southern producers( 808 Mafia, Metro Boomin, Dj spinz etc) are really owning it atm.

Recently got exposed to the Beast coast movement, namely Flatbush Zombies and Pro Era. I must say that I like what I've heard so far and it only made me wonder why people still insist that NY rap is dead.

I listened to Joey Badass' B4 Da Dollar today and I quite liked it. Will definitely give it a few more spins.

Still have to listen to Kendrick's TPaB.

T&Y vs To Pimp a Butterfly:

I felt the former was sort of top heavy, but picked back up towards the end. I think it fell off at No Scatches and picked back up at Deliver, and never slowed down again. With TPaB, there wasn't a bad track on the album for me. It's the best album since Stankonia and it's better, to me, than Paid In Full.

Only Stankonia, Illmatic and The Marshall Mathers LP are better albums to me.

Only Stankonia, Illmatic and The Marshall Mathers LP are better albums to me.

I respect it.

Illmatic, Stankonia, 36 Chambers, Black Star, TPaB.

That's my top 5 ever right now. GodLovesUgly got pushed back to the top ten.

Not sure if I have a top 5 myself but I'm sure as hell that Kanye's MBDTF would be there.

Edit: Any Hopsin fans here?

I can like the Ill Mind series but I never really got into his stuff.

He could get a bit cheesy though, which is why he gets so much disrespect.

I can like the Ill Mind series but I never really got into his stuff.

He could get a bit cheesy though, which is why he gets so much disrespect.

That and the dis whoever's on right now to get popular thing.

And the holier than thou attitude present on a bunch of his songs.

And the fact that while technically skilled he's completely uninteresting (YMMV on this last one but he sounds like a million other internet rappers to me)

If you haven't guessed by now I'm not a big fan :P

But to each their own and stuff.

Archived