Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

That and the dis whoever's on right now to get popular thing.

And the holier than thou attitude present on a bunch of his songs.

And the fact that while technically skilled he's completely uninteresting (YMMV on this last one but he sounds like a million other internet rappers to me)

If you haven't guessed by now I'm not a big fan :P

But to each their own and stuff.

I liked Hopsin for a few weeks, but then I started noticing all the stuff you mentioned. It turned me off him.

That, and his fans are second to Eminem fans in terms of annoying.

Young Thug's Barter 6 is damn fine. Its his most cohesive project to date imo. Outstanding tracks for me "Halftime", "Just Might Be", "Numbers", "With That" and "Od" and there's not one song i really dislike too. The features were kinda meh tho.

I must say the one one thing that already stands out to me, without having listened to it yet, is the fact that he didn't do any songs with Metro Boomin. I think some of their past collabos have been cool.

I've never been a fan of Hopsin myself matter of fact first time I heard of him was around the time he dissed Tyler the Creator. I do like his Ill Mind of Hopsin 7 track, I find it extremely personal.

So Frank Ocean legally changed his name to...Frank Ocean. I thought his real name, Christopher Breaux (pronounced 'bro' I'm guessing), was a pretty cool one but oh well.

I guess this is just tangentially related to hip hop, but I thought it was interesting. When the hell is his album coming out? He's spending time doing all this other stuff...

I liked Hopsin for a few weeks, but then I started noticing all the stuff you mentioned. It turned me off him.

That, and his fans are second to Eminem fans in terms of annoying.

Ironic because Eminem is his idol.

But if you rap about that nice-guy type shit you just get an automatic L mailed to you.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone see this study that claims Hip Hop to be the most important music since 1960?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/tech/pop-music-study-hip-hop-the-beatles/

While it'd be fun to use in an argument with the people that still say hip hop isn't music or is an inferior type (there are still many people like this), I'm not sure how easy something like "influence" or "importance" is to quantify on a scientific basis. Nevertheless, definitely interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like they had computer programs analyze the songs to determine influence. Also considering that most other genres (and all other major genres) existed prior to 1960 (even if the sound has evolved) and that hip hop is really the only truly new kind of music that had a strong influence on other music it's not really a difficult argument to make. I realize toasting probably predates 1960, but hip-hop has taken the music beyond that and it's sort fused toasting and funk and some other stuff.

The title says rap is the most important music since 1960 but the article just seems to say that pop music is more diverse than it used to be.

I don't see where it's explaining what the title of the article means.

I'm not saying it isnt, 80s & 90s hiphop is amazing, I'm just curious as to how the scientists arrived at the conclusion.

so, quick update on my last few "albums":

At Long Last Asap: I like it but I'm still not sure how much. have only listened to tit twice yet tho so maybe it will grow more on me. The features are great and Rocky's rap style is great as usual but it doesn't sound as fresh as his last two projects, imo. His flow has become a little rusty for me he should change it up next time. still solid project tho.

favorite song: fine whine

SremmLife: It's a fun party album. not lyrical at all, Asap Rocky is a poet compared to this.Literally every track bangs (blessed be Mike Will's beats) and Rae Sremmurd's (they are a duo) voices and delivery are unique enough to make the album not bland at all.

favorite song: lit like bic

Young Thug leaks: so last month 50+ new Thug tracks leaked out of nowhere. The scary thing almost all of them are at least good. Young Thug is what I said about Rae Sremmurd times 10. He's not lyrical at all except the occasional clever or funny line ala "ate the b*tch like a baconator" but he has probably the best flow in hip-hop since 06-07 wayne but he's also weirdly but greatly melodic which he proves in those leaks, imo. the leaks can and probably will hurt Thugger in some way but as a fan I'm just glad about so many new music.

favourite song: this ones hard but probably a toss between Iowa, Udigg(What I'm Sayin), No No No and Running out of Money

LiTA,

Castro is a new dude who's from the same clique as Logic. He's got a pretty solid mixtape called Don't Over Think. You should give him a listen. Realest Song I Ever Wrote is one of my favourite tracks by him.

Born Sinner,

I agree. Young Thug has a magnificent flow it's a shame he's not lyrical. I still feel like Danny Glover is his best track, his flow there was mesmerising.

While we're on the topic of non lyrical emcees. I've been impressed with the work Future has racked up in the past few months. He's released 3 solid mixtapes. I listened to all 3 multiple times and I feel like he's probably the best out southern artist out at the moment.

LiTA,

Castro is a new dude who's from the same clique as Logic. He's got a pretty solid mixtape called Don't Over Think. You should give him a listen. Realest Song I Ever Wrote is one of my favourite tracks by him.

Born Sinner,

I agree. Young Thug has a magnificent flow it's a shame he's not lyrical. I still feel like Danny Glover is his best track, his flow there was mesmerising.

While we're on the topic of non lyrical emcees. I've been impressed with the work Future has racked up in the past few months. He's released 3 solid mixtapes. I listened to all 3 multiple times and I feel like he's probably the best out southern artist out at the moment.

Yeah, Monster and Beast Mode are great, haven't listened to 56 nights yet. His older stuff is great too, especially Astronaut Status.

• 3 weeks later...

Never gave A$AP Rocky any attention. Decided to listen to At Long Last A$AP on a whim, and I'm impressed.

A$AP is easy to sleep on if you've only heard his singles. I haven't listened to At Long Last yet but Long Live was a great album.

• 4 weeks later...

Never listened to Meek Mill before but probably won't ever now.

Drake killed that man and I don't even like drake at all.

:D I'm the same. Never listened to Meek Mill, don't really care for Drake. But holy shit, that was brutal. I do respect Drake a lot more now.

Archived