Another thread about hiphop...

Horus Ex Machina

Please tell me someone has seen the freestyle battle between Killer Mike and Action Bronson while they are both running on a treadmill. Great lyricists, being brilliant and fat, and eventually out of breath. Amazing stuff ;)

I did not see this and now I am CRUSHED. Seriously, gonna stalk youtube to see if I can find this.

I don't know if any of you follow battle rap at all, but I've been a fan for a number of years now, and in the next couple of months there are a couple of pretty major events that I'm getting hyped for.

Battle of The Bay 7 goes down at the end of January in Oakland, with a couple of battles I'm ridiculously excited for. B Magic vs Pass and Head Ice vs Caustic being the top two for me.

But what I'm even more hyped for is Blackout 5 at the end of February in Toronto. Blackout events are interesting in that they announce the battlers taking part in advance but not the match ups. Apart from the headline battle the others remain a mystery until the day of.

But this year's Blackout sees the return of a bunch of old favorites who haven't battled in years. Dumfoundead probably being the most hyped among them. There's also the current top guys of course, and since it's an OVO sponsored event and Drake has hinted before at wanting to toss his hat in the ring rumors are flying like crazy. Organik (head of the league running BO5) tweeting a picture of him and Drake with the caption "tomorrow we break the internet" only made things worse in that regard :lol:

Of course this past year we saw a couple of industry rappers attempt to step back into battling (Joe Budden at Total Slaughter and Cassidy at Ether earlier this month) and both of them were God awful. Didn't help that they each decided to go up against some of the best current battlers for their first match in years. Hopefully Drake does better if he really does end up battling.

Wow...this makes me want to call my mom and tell her I love her :(

But seriously, this sounds like a happy 808s. Could be a great album.

I was thinking the same thing. The collaboration that was announced several months ago between Ye and Paul I would never expect to sound like this, but glad it did.

• 3 weeks later...

This Lupe Fiasco- Mural is awesome

Love him

That whole album is pretty great. Lupe isn't running out of breath in his tracks anymore lol.

Also there are rumblings (from Walmart of all sources) that Kendrick's album is dropping on Tuesday the 27th. I think it's complete bs, but it's strange how no one (to my knowledge) has come out from TDE and denied it. I'll remain skeptical though.

Edit: rumour is false, as per TDE on twitter. Now if they could finish the album, that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Drake dropped a random 17 track 'mixtape' last night called "If You're Reading This It's Too Late". It's on iTunes for purchase or you can stream it on Spotify I think.

People speculating it's the throwaway tracks from Views From The 6 released this way to finish out his four album contract with Cash Money so he can get the fuck outta there.

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet but that seems likely. Some of what I've heard is good, some is pretty uninteresting. Could easily be throwaways.

I saw Aesop Rock last night at a small venue by my house and it was pretty sick. Him and Rob Sonic were on for about 90 minutes and played most of their new stuff with a few classics thrown in. He sounds great live and they had tons of energy and the show was just tremendous.

One of the funnier moments for myself was that the crowd knew all the lyrics whenever they wanted us to sing along, or something, until DJ Abilities was playing Shimmy Shimmy Ya and the crowd was basically crickets for that one part...I guess I'm getting old.

Drake dropped a random 17 track 'mixtape' last night called "If You're Reading This It's Too Late". It's on iTunes for purchase or you can stream it on Spotify I think.

People speculating it's the throwaway tracks from Views From The 6 released this way to finish out his four album contract with Cash Money so he can get the fuck outta there.

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet but that seems likely. Some of what I've heard is good, some is pretty uninteresting. Could easily be throwaways.

Definitely sounds like a mixtape but I'm struggling to think if that's why I'm reacting the way I am or if it's because I've never really been into Drake's album as cohesive things. His features are on point but as a whole?

I dunno. I love Drake's albums personally. This one has three or four good tracks and the rest of it is instantly forgettable. It's throwaway tracks though, so that doesn't surprise or bother me. I'm just hoping he'll get what he wants out of this (off of Cash Money) so we can get Views From The 6 later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Opinions on Kanye's performance at the Brit Awards? I f**ken loved it. Great song, and great energy.

Here's the audio, the video links keep on being taken down so if you can find one enjoy,

Also digging Vic Mensa and Theophilus London lately.

I thought that was fucking awesome. And what do you know, here's the CDQ version! I dunno why, I just love this song lol

http://sectioneighty.com/kanye-west-all-day/

• 2 weeks later...

So in a surprise move, Kendrick has dropped his album TONIGHT, to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Tupac's Me Against the World release.

Currently giving it a spin. It's good so far, and I definitely don't regret shutting out all news on this album prior to release. I'd imagine those who hyped it up to no end will be disappointed. I like it. And 'i' on this album is quite different from what he released a few months ago.

Edit: album is titled 'To Pimp a Butterfly'. It's quite different from GKMC, and even S80. I could see it being very polarizing, as there are no 'bangers'.

Archived