The Winged Shadow (*aDwD Spoilers*)

VarysForKing

"A Dance with Dragons" may be GRRMs way of righting the balance of Targaryen sucession. The original Dance with Dragon sort of ruled out the ruling Targaryen Queen scenario in Westeros, right?

There has been mention of a mummer's dragon in Dany's future, perhaps a male claimant will be put forth who some believe has a better claim to the Iron Throne than Dany does?

Sort of makes me wonder who the Golden Company has hidden amongst their ranks.

Perhaps we'll also be enlightened about Bittersteel, more Targ geneology, and details on the training of dragons. Maybe that would explain how Dany would know to use the command "Dracarys" when she does not seem to have any prior training on how to use a dragon.

"...The more sadness in parting, the more joy in the reunion..." :grouphug:

• 4 weeks later...

I think the dragons will be like modern airplanes or more like helicoptor gunships in battle. They will burn stuff and roar. And crash spectacularly.

But right now, its seems like Dany can't even get the dragons to understand or obey such simple commands as "stay" or "fetch", etc. Things a half trained puppy can do. I don't see dragons being much use if they can't at least be directed to attack only certain areas and not just go flying off after a snack at random.

Its also sad that in the beginning Dany starts out saying, "dragons are not slaves" then by the last sections she is chaining them. Its even worse that she chains the ones that behave while the child eating one is let fly free. Its that insanity like whipping the whipping boy of a psychotic monster of Joeffry. Punishing the wrong party and insanely inappropriate punishment is worse than no punishment at all and seems to me a lof of what causes a child (or young dog or dragon) to become a vicious, psychotic killer.

What about the possibility that Quentyn Martell is with the Golden Company? If you believe the Q=A theory, then you might consider that the Golden Company has the TRUE heir to the Targaryen line.

That's what I believe. The dragon must have 3 heads, you know. :lol:

From AFfC, pg 604:

"That green-haired girl was the Archon's daughter. I was to have sent you to Tyrosh in her place. You would have served the Archon as cup bearer and met with your betrothed in secret, but your mother threatened to harm herself if I stole ANOTHER of her children, and I... I could not do that."

That is Doran speaking to Arianne. The betrothed is Viserys, who Doran knows died with a crown of gold, which he explains the page before.

There are only 3 Martel children... Arianne, Quentyn, and Trystane. So who was the STOLEN child, if not Quentyn? I say it is the real Quentyn, swapped for Aegon Targaryen.

Not so crackpot.

There are only 3 Martel children... Arianne, Quentyn, and Trystane. So who was the STOLEN child, if not Quentyn? I say it is the real Quentyn, swapped for Aegon Targaryen.

Not so crackpot.

The stolen child is indeed Quentyn. But the "stolen" part simply refers to the fact that Quentyn was given to Lord Yronwood as a foster son at a very young age.

The stolen child is indeed Quentyn. But the "stolen" part simply refers to the fact that Quentyn was given to Lord Yronwood as a foster son at a very young age.

Being fostered, in my mind, is not the same as being stolen. And Yronwood is still in Dorne. It is not so far to visit. I think that stolen has to mean more.

Arianne's reaction to that sentence: "His tale grow's even stranger..."

To me, she seems surprised at the statement about the stolen child.

Could he have been fostered at a young age to hide his appearance? He might have the Targaryen flair in the eys and the hair!

It's far in medieval times.

My take on the title, A Dance With Dragons (and yes, the 'with' is important) has to do with all the different parties going to Dany right now: Tyrion, Quentyn (Dorne), Victarion (ironborn), Marwyn (who knows? - on behalf of prophecy fulfillment?) Each of these parties will be "dancing" with Dany, trying to gain her favor and support. There's also the idea of dancing as a means of courtship, and supposedly some of these people are trying to get Dany's hand in marriage. I see the title pertaining to the fact that many different enemies from Westeros will be vying for Dany.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone is wondering about a mysterious dragon prince when it seemed pretty clear that Dany was the "prince" refered to in prophecy as dragons are neither male nor female.

The title Dance with dragons I hope has to do with actually training the dragons but from the preview Dany chapters training is one thing the dragons are not getting any of.

Dance is a sort of courting ritual so maybe the Dance with Dragons is just referring to all the lickspittles dancing and fawning around Danny. She could always use a few more and maybe make them fight to the death or do something useful like peeling potatoes.

yeah, he right

but, have we considered that Drogon will in fact be Dragon-napped and turned against Dany, thus leading to a big 2 on 1 Dragon showdown of deah in aDwD??? cool huh?

Didn't think so...

not too sure on this but, has there been any mention as to whether or not a powerfull warg/skinchanger such as bran or perhaps jon(who may after all be a targ for true) could slip into a dragon's skin? we do know that bran was able to grasp a human(hodor, asos) after all, and that was before his training w. coldhands. also there are still a number of other lesser wargs running around, though only a few that i'm able to recall right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, what I think it means is that there will be one more dragon intorduced, and it will cause everyone in Westeros to go nuts.

Stannis is going to get a dragon.

Yes.

After the death of the Onion Kinght (whom we don't actually know is dead, but bear with me), Stannis is wrought with grief. Jon does/says something to really make him amd, and he freaks. He marches back to Dragonstone and beats the defenders, and then he gives Melisandre permission to waken the stone dragon, with Jon's blood. He will then try to use said dragon to avenge the death of his friend, but Jon (who will still be alive, either as the dragon or in his body) will interfere. Meanwhile, Dany will be doing a bunch of important stuff (Vaes Dothrak, Victarion, Tyrion even) with her dragons, hence A Dance With Dragons....

Thoughts?

edited to add more to the theory

• 1 month later...

Why is so much people thinking Dany will go back in Vaes Dothrak ??? She left it behind her after Drogo's death. There's nothing there for her. And even a child would know better than taking useless revenge from those stupid dothraki that refused to come with her.

On the other Dany was told she needed to go to Ashaï. Then it seems Ashaï is a place with some knowledge about Dragons. Given that Dany is in dire need for help with her dragons. She had a reason to go in Ashaï.

Why is so much people thinking Dany will go back in Vaes Dothrak ??? She left it behind her after Drogo's death. There's nothing there for her. And even a child would know better than taking useless revenge from those stupid dothraki that refused to come with her.
I think so because of a scene in the house of undying, quote:"Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed."

On the other Dany was told she needed to go to Ashaï. Then it seems Ashaï is a place with some knowledge about Dragons. Given that Dany is in dire need for help with her dragons. She had a reason to go in Ashaï.
And I think that she will go there too.

• 4 months later...
I think so because of a scene in the house of undying, quote:"Beneath the Mother of Mountains, a line of naked crones crept from a great lake and knelt shivering before her, their grey heads bowed."

seems pretty compelling as a theory. I wonder what the significance of the lake is. That's an interesting image.

• 3 weeks later...
"A Dance with Dragons" may be GRRMs way of righting the balance of Targaryen sucession. The original Dance with Dragon sort of ruled out the ruling Targaryen Queen scenario in Westeros, right?

There has been mention of a mummer's dragon in Dany's future, perhaps a male claimant will be put forth who some believe has a better claim to the Iron Throne than Dany does?

Didn't GRRM say that two new major characters were going to be introduced? And didn't he say that they were Harry the Heir and the King of Mummers?

Therefore I think this mummer's dragon(or cloth dragon that Dany saw in her vision), whoever it is, is the King of Mummers

Didn't GRRM say that two new major characters were going to be introduced? And didn't he say that they were Harry the Heir and the King of Mummers?

No. He said that the "Lord of Mummers" and "Harry the Heir" were the informal titles of two characters that the reader hadn't seen yet. (This was written before A Feast For Crows was released.) He never said that they would be major characters.

No. He said that the "Lord of Mummers" and "Harry the Heir" were the informal titles of two characters that the reader hadn't seen yet. (This was written before A Feast For Crows was released.) He never said that they would be major characters.

:thumbsup: Thanx for clearing that up. Still, there is something a little weird about the fact that Martin mentioned those two and not any others. I guess I just made an assumption about what role they might play.

:thumbsup: Thanx for clearing that up. Still, there is something a little weird about the fact that Martin mentioned those two and not any others. I guess I just made an assumption about what role they might play.

Nah, if you actually read the question and reply, GRRM just mentions two random characters that we hadn't met yet at that time in order for someone to get a book related custom title. I wouldn't put to much emphasis on their importance based on this, other than GRRM thought they had 'cool' nicknames.

Archived