Do you think Sansa is next in line to die?

Shah

She doesn't have much plot-armor, IMO. I don't think her arc is complete yet but maybe in the Winds of Winter...she could die. GRRM has yet to kill a character with a POV (save for the epilogue and prologue) since Storm of Swords. (one with a big POV) It's unknown if Brienne died (maybe she has, dunknow, hasn't been confirmed yet. Though, I have a theory that she will survive and be the one to kill Lady Stoneheart...I digress) and Jon. (I highly doubt Jon had died).

Maybe GRRM will kill her in the next book...and I can't get this annoying thought out of my head...that Lady's death would foreshadow Sansa's death. What do you think?

Well Brienne is still alive, per the fifth book.

And no, I don't think Sansa will die. I think she's one who makes it to the end. There's something important going on in the Vale and as long as she's the only set of eyes there, she's safe. It's when a bunch of POVs converge all in the same place (Meereen, the North) that the body count will start picking up.

She's probably safe until Littlefinger is dead and/or she leaves the Vale and/or multiple POVs show up in the Vale. After that, all bets are off.

And no, I don't think Sansa will die. I think she's one who makes it to the end. There's something important going on in the Vale and as long as she's the only set of eyes there, she's safe. It's when a bunch of POVs converge all in the same place (Meereen, the North) that the body count will start picking up.

Precisely. If multiple POVs converge on the Vale, or if Sansa leaves the Vale and travels to a place where a bunch of POVs are also gathering, then it will start looking grim.

The pattern of (non-prologue/epilogue) POV deaths shows this:

AGOT: Sansa and Ned are in the same place, Ned dies

ASOS: Cat and Arya are in the same place, Cat dies

AFFC: Arys and Arianne are in the same place, Arys dies

ADWD: Dany, Quentyn and Barristan are in the same place, Quentyn dies (and Jon/Melisandre, if you believe Jon's dead for real)

However, if the Vale storyline is resolved or tied off (through Littlefinger's death or otherwise), then Sansa could die, just as Cat did when that storyline came to a close, even though she was the only POV present (although Arya was outside, I'll grant you).

She doesn't have much plot-armor, IMO. I don't think her arc is complete yet but maybe in the Winds of Winter...she could die. GRRM has yet to kill a character with a POV (save for the epilogue and prologue) since Storm of Swords. (one with a big POV) It's unknown if Brienne died (maybe she has, dunknow, hasn't been confirmed yet. Though, I have a theory that she will survive and be the one to kill Lady Stoneheart...I digress) and Jon. (I highly doubt Jon had died).

Maybe GRRM will kill her in the next book...and I can't get this annoying thought out of my head...that Lady's death would foreshadow Sansa's death. What do you think?

Quentyn Martell and Arys Oakheart beg to differ about not being dead.

i always took it as a sign that she wasn't really a stark.

ie, her main actions in the series will serve to go against house interests.

I think her actions have proved she's a Stark at heart.

Really? She stopped being naive after Lady died?

Well no, and she still has a ways to go. I should have said 'foreshadowing'.

as long as she's the only set of eyes there, she's safe. It's when a bunch of POVs converge all in the same place (Meereen, the North) that the body count will start picking up.

Oh no. I've been looking forward to the isolated POVs coming back to form groups again, because of how things got less exciting with everyone splayed out all over the globe. Though now that you bring up this means of detecting characters' deaths with a literary geiger counter, I don't know if I want the books to get more "interesting." It seems like the loophole would be if a castle burns down with a POV inside it or something like that, where there'd be no use for continuing the story from that location. Then you could see an isolated POV die at any time without a buddy POV needing to show up to take over the broadcast.

Oh no. I've been looking forward to the isolated POVs coming back to form groups again, because of how things got less exciting with everyone splayed out all over the globe. Though now that you bring up this means of detecting characters' deaths with a literary geiger counter, I don't know if I want the books to get more "interesting." It seems like the loophole would be if a castle burns down with a POV inside it or something like that, where there'd be no use for continuing the story from that location. Then you could see an isolated POV die at any time without a buddy POV needing to show up to take over the broadcast.

The ideas "only set of eyes for a necessary, continuing plot = survival" and "multiple POVs converge = death" might actually help us predict TWOW deaths better. It's not helpful because characters move around, and it's hard to tell whose perspective is essential and whose isn't. Also, sometimes POVs do "coexist" without either of them dying because both their perspectives are needed, however temporarily (Tyrion and Sansa "coexist" as KL POVs in ACOK and for part of ASOS). So let's look at POV locations and try this idea on for size:

Bran: isolated, safe (for now)

Arya: isolated, safe (for now)

Sansa: isolated, safe (for now)

Davos: isolated, safe (for now)

Jon (I think GRRM has said Melisandre won't have any more POVs): isolated, "safe"...could change if he winds up in Asha/Theon's vicinity, but we all know Jon is plot armoured out the wazoo

Dany: isolated, safe (for now), but also plot armoured, so if she winds up converging on other POVs' location, she won't be the one to bite it

Tyrion/Barristan/Victarion: in same location, in big trouble (although because of Tyrion's plot armour, only Barristan and Victarion are in danger)

Cersei: needed KL POV, safe (for now)

Asha/Theon: in same location, in big trouble

Jaime/Brienne: in same location, in big trouble

JonCon: OK for now, that will change in Westeros where the odds of tangling with another POV go up

Also look at past POV deaths in "convergences":

Ned/Arya/Sansa: Ned dies, Arya lives but flees KL, Sansa stays in KL

Cat/Arya: Cat dies, Arya survives

Arys/Arianne: Arys dies, Arianne survives

Quentyn/Dany/Barristan: Quentyn dies, Barristan survives, Dany leaves

A past convergence where no one died as a result was Tyrion/Sansa/Davos, but the difference I think is that that "convergence" happened fairly early on in the books, while in TWOW GRRM will be trying to pare down his story to essentials and eliminate superfluous POVs.

Archived