{TPaTQ Spoilers} Velaryon Power...

Ser Uncle P

Fuck me what a read, Just finished reading TPaTQ.

Aside from the fully grown dragon on dragon action, the power of House Velaryon jumps out at the reader. Only the Ironborn are said to have a navy to match theirs, and they stood to become the Royal House, as Rhanerya's boys from first marriage bore the Velaryon surname.

Bit of a contrast from Stannis dismissing them as "codfish lords" in ACOK...

They suffer some losses in the Dance, but they should remain pretty powerful high lords during the century. Alyn Velaryon should see to that. I'm wondering what caused their eventual downfall. Perhaps they ended up supporting Bittersteel in one of the later Blackfyre rebellions?

It was three Targaryen princes. One of them is now Daemon Targaryen. Rhaenys and Rhaenyra were princesses, Aegon III would be a king, not a prince. It could be that the other princes include later Targaryens (Maekar, Daeron the Drunk, Aerion, Rhaegel, Baelor Breakspear). It's also not impossible that Corlys Velaryon's sister was married to another Targaryen prince (a son or grandson of Jaehaerys I).

Viserys II would also still be an option. If Aegon III gets no Velaryon queen in the new canon I'm rooting for him marrying Baela or Rhaena. In fact, Aegon III's second daughter is also named Rhaena so that's a possibility I guess.

The dethroning of House Targaryen after Bob's rebellion was probably the final point in their decline, good shout about the Blackfyre rebellion too.

Despite them being of Valaryian descent, they didn't follow cousin Viserys into exile like Darry or support Aerys' cause to the "bitter end and beyond" like the Reach lords did. Maybe there was a "cooling off" between them and the Targs before the rebellion.

Maybe Aurane stealing Cersei's fleet in AFFC is an attempt to regain old glories, he may see himself as a contemporary version of the "Sea Snake".

Fuck me what a read, Just finished reading TPaTQ.

Aside from the fully grown dragon on dragon action, the power of House Velaryon jumps out at the reader. Only the Ironborn are said to have a navy to match theirs, and they stood to become the Royal House, as Rhanerya's boys from first marriage bore the Velaryon surname.

Bit of a contrast from Stannis dismissing them as "codfish lords" in ACOK...

Driftmark was hit pretty hard during the Dance in the Battle in the Gullet. Their towns were destroyed and never rebuilt and lost 1/3 of their fleet. With no towns or ports to collect taxes from their wealth probably diminished over time.

Archived