Hugo nominees for 2014 (shortlist @ post 156 on page 8)

beniowa

These Hugo nominations - from what I've seen so far - seem suspiciously sane this year. The Ayn Rand thing excepted of course.

ETA: Check that, I'd been looking at the fan awards only. Everything else is a mix of people I've never heard of and WTF.

ETA2: Wait, The Hobbit didn't get a best novel nod? Did they rule in ineligible to prevent its all-consuming victory?

Arsebollocks. Game of Thrones vs Orphan Black vs The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot vs An Adventure in Time and Space. Even Day of the Doctor was pretty good. First time all of the TV nominations have been decent to excellent?

The film noms are okay, apart from Iron Man 3. I'd expect Gravity to take it, although I am minded to vote for Pacific Rim on the basis of being the sole film on the list with Idris Elba on it.

Worldcon going for inclusiveness this year by inviting Tea Party-supporting authors to put up works, apparently. An interesting approach.

Also, we are now denied the spectacle of Jonathan Ross handing an award to the exhumed skeletal remains of Ayn Rand. That would have been amazing.

That about sums it up, David. I just saw this turn up on my Twitter Feed: "Here's what happened to the Hugo fiction noms: http://www.donotlink.com/gzH (goes to LC's site) and http://www.donotlink.com/gzI (goes to VD)."

They're hardly the only ones who put up recommendation lists, or even campaign more openly than simple statements of eligibility. There's just something about those posts that seems more about getting those particular works on the ballot to spite others rather than for their own sakes.

Wert - who knows, maybe Loncon will announce that Ross'll be involved somehow after all! Host for the Retros, but not the main Hugos?

WOT getting a nom. I'm not saying this for attention or to be an argumentative arse but it's a tad bollocks.

It's a hell of a lot better than Parasite. And probably - I'll take a wild stab in the dark here - whatever the fuck Warbound is, since it appears to have been nominated by the same nutjob end of fandom as the Day short story. It's a pretty straight face-off between WoT and Ancillary Justice. And whilst Scalzi will likely drump up support for AJ, WoT is simply far better known, far more widely read and even people who aren't keen may vote for it because of its importance in establishing Tor as a force in SF publishing and other secondary effects (like the impact it had on the market, good and bad).

Archived