Hugo nominees for 2014 (shortlist @ post 156 on page 8)

beniowa

I assume the Rand, Day, Correia and presumably Torgersen nominations are all a result of the same group of voters.

I hope they enjoy the mind-blowing fact it was never 'liberal publishing' that has kept them from awards.

On a positive note, I love, love the fanwriter category. Love the new additions to fancast, although some more new blood would have been nice I don't know who should have been kicked out.

Interesting developments in fanzine, with only one 'tradional' zine remaining if I see things correctly.

Semi-pro is nice, artist has some variety, I like the editor lists as well (oh, likely add Toni Weisskopf (Baen) to the campaigned list, although perhaps more deservedly).

And related work is nice as well.

Wert is robbed for "Fanwriter".

I don't think I talk enough about genre issues as opposed to doing reviews to get enough traction. Plus I gave Redshirts a medicore review, so the Scalzi crowd probably boycott me ;)

And, more to the point, those fanwriters who got nominated are all pretty damn good. I'll probably go with ADoI but the rest are all pretty deserving, even the ones I disagree with half the time.

I believe that Gaiman turned down a nomination for Ocean.

A pity, since he would probably be a shoo-in. I wonder, was it because of Ross affair? Frankly, I also expected to see him in a novelette. category for The Sleeper and the Spindle. Still, five my nominees made it this year compared to only one previous year (and no, none of them was on Correia's list), so I am not going to complain too much.

I expected more British nominees, BTW. But in the short fiction and novel categories there are only 2, unless I am missing someone.

*edit* So it seems that some of the nominees got there mostly because Larry Correia and Vox Day asked on their blogs for people to vote for them - see here for details - http://radishreviews.com/2014/04/19/obligatory-hugo-nomination-reaction-post/ . I wondered how a novella by a horror writer I've never heard of, published by a published I've never head of, got there...This explains it.

That's quite pathetic, really.

You'd think this would be the year for Reynolds or Christopher Priest, though I guess Reynolds does only have a middle-book-of-trilogy out, but I expected The Adjacent.

The Adjacent is way too "highbrow" and "experimental" for most of the voters in the Novel category. At least judging by the nominees in the last 5-6 years.

Plus it was only published this month in the US, I think.

I don't get Parasite either. I mean it wasn't even a reasonably entertaining guilty pleasure like the other Seanan/Mira books I've read (which I wouldn't nominate either, but don't regret reading), it was just boring and the plot was total nonsense with so many huge holes that my suspension of disbelief was totally destroyed. It also has a main character who completely lost her memory 6 years ago and had to learn everything from scratch, but still behaves exactly the same as a normal 20 year old.

If the voters love Seanan/More so much, they should've nominated Midnight Blue-Light Special, not that it was all that good, but at least the plot mostly made sense and it was much funnier.

I Read the Hugo Noms And I Must Scream

The Hugos continue to disappoint. Saw about 10 movies last year and Iron Man 3 was easily the worst of them all. A noisy, childish mess of a film....nominated for a Hugo. Way to keep the genre in the gutter, people.

Brandon Sanderson is a very nice man so it pains me to say this, but WoT being nominated is a bunch of hooey. It's the exploitation of a loophole. The fact that not a single one of the 14 individual novels in the series were strong enough to garner even a nomination should say it all.

Are the Nebulas and other genre awards subject to similar silliness?

On the bright side, no Scalzi!

I don't get Parasite either. I mean it wasn't even a reasonably entertaining guilty pleasure like the other Seanan/Mira books I've read (which I wouldn't nominate either, but don't regret reading), it was just boring and the plot was total nonsense with so many huge holes that my suspension of disbelief was totally destroyed. It also has a main character who completely lost her memory 6 years ago and had to learn everything from scratch, but still behaves exactly the same as a normal 20 year old.

If the voters love Seanan/More so much, they should've nominated Midnight Blue-Light Special, not that it was all that good, but at least the plot mostly made sense and it was much funnier.

She has a huge lj following. Not sure how, but I'm am always disappointed that the award goes her way. Seems to cheapen the whole thing.

Archived