Do you think Stannis will achieve a Pyrrhic victory in the Battle of Ice?

I see no evidence of a battle... I find it extremely unlikely 1 took place, Dary took Dany and Viserys away when he was afraid the garrison would hand them over to the usurper, if they weren't even there anymore and were the last holdout it just seems unlikely a battle would have taken place. and damn how the hell did you post that so quickly!?!?!

He clearly says he took the castle and i highly doubt the DS who were known targ loyalist would give up on DS, not to mention since their leverage was gone, i:e Dany and Viserys. The DS had nothing to offer to the Crown and would have no logical reason to give up the castle, since Dany and Viserys were gone and hence no pardons would be given DS garrison.

On page 2 of this thread there was talk of the blue eyed king with his magic sword that Dany is supposed to encounter..

Could that also be a reference to (f)Aegon with the sword Blackfyre? Jon Connington mentions that his eyes are more not as dark as his fathers, and more blue than purple. I'm not convinced that it has to be Stannis, though I'm not sure that Blackfyre would necessarily be considered a magical sword. Legendary, yes.

Just a thought

He clearly says he took the castle and i highly doubt the DS who were known targ loyalist would give up on DS, not to mention since their leverage was gone, i:e Dany and Viserys. The DS had nothing to offer to the Crown and would have no logical reason to give up the castle, since Dany and Viserys were gone and hence no pardons would be given DS garrison.

Why wouldn't pardons be given? Hell Robert pardoned Balon. I see it from the other side, with the Targs gone why die a pointless death. But o well, without concrete proof we will likely not agree.

Why wouldn't pardons be given? Hell Robert pardoned Balon. I see it from the other side, with the Targs gone why die a pointless death. But o well, without concrete proof we will likely not agree.

Robert pardoned Balon because he was not a Targ supporter. We all know much Robert hated the Targs and ofcourse it would make sense that he would hate the people who as he knows helped in smuggling the enemies of the crown to safety. Why would you pardoned someone who helped in smuggling your enemies?

On page 2 of this thread there was talk of the blue eyed king with his magic sword that Dany is supposed to encounter..

Could that also be a reference to (f)Aegon with the sword Blackfyre? Jon Connington mentions that his eyes are more not as dark as his fathers, and more blue than purple. I'm not convinced that it has to be Stannis, though I'm not sure that Blackfyre would necessarily be considered a magical sword. Legendary, yes.

Just a thought

Yes it could pertain to Aegon as well. But Aegon is described as having purple eyes, just as other targs.

Yea, I fall on the side of if there's no reason to hold-out, then they most likely capitulated at DS to Stannis with little to no conflict. I cannot recollect every detail of it, but I do remember, that Dany and Viserys had to flee b/c there was a chance that they could have been turned over to the Baratheons. I'm thinking the seige followed the same pattern as of Tytos Blackwood capitulating to Jaime.

"Stan the Man Baratheon" is the quickest responder, with text reference in history.

Yea, I fall on the side of if there's no reason to hold-out, then they most likely capitulated at DS to Stannis with little to no conflict. I cannot recollect every detail of it, but I do remember, that Dany and Viserys had to flee b/c there was a chance that they could have been turned over to the Baratheons. I'm thinking the seige followed the same pattern as of Tytos Blackwood capitulating to Jaime.

As i mentioned in my earlier post i am only assuming based on the quotes provided. We all know much Robert hated the Targs and ofcourse it would make sense that he would hate the people who as he knows helped in smuggling the enemies of the crown to safety. Why would you pardoned someone who helped in smuggling your enemies?

"Stan the Man Baratheon" is the quickest responder, with text reference in history.

Cheers :cheers: .

I've always felt Stannis knows something the readers do not yet know. There is some element of his plan which is going to surprise us as much as the Freys. And Stannis doesn't even know the Manderlys are going to defect! Stannis may be stubborn and proud, but he is not arrogant or cocky. He's a proven commander, and he's confident. I don't think he'd be confident without good reason. Stannis - humorless, implacable Stannis - actually smiles when thinking about his plan. Stannis doesn't smile lightly.

Also, from a plot perspective, it's time for things to start turning around up North. A Pyrrhic victory at this stage would make matters even worse. Of course, I put nothing past GRRM, but at this point we should start expecting resolution, not more complication.

Just a thought

Welcome to the forum!

FWIW, if fAegon is somehow to turn out to fulfill the "blue eyed king" aspect of the "slayer of lies" prophecy, then he will also need to acquire a "red" sword, it seems (not necessarily magic), as well as have some explanation behind the "cast no shadow" aspect of the HOTU vision.

Likewise, someone besides fAegon would likely need to be presented as the "cloth dragon," for which fAegon seems the most likely candidate at present.

So, for the moment, Stannis seems the most likely candidate for fulfilling the "kingly" portion of the HOTU vision, but it's fair to say there is still time for some other king with blue eyes, a red sword and "no shadow" to "take Stannis' place."

I'm pretty sure Euron has 1 blue eye doesn't he? He would be the second most likely candidate to me.

One blue, and black. And he would still need a red sword and an explanation for casting no shadow.

Euron may also be the "corpse on the prow," which isn't clear yet, but I don't think he'd be both, and he might be neither...

Crackpot:

Roose is the blue eyed Nights King.

He will have Stannis's red sword, as a proof that Stannis is dead and thus Ramsey will write the pink letter.

I'm not sure why Roose would ever be missing a shadow though, and I think his eyes would probably have a different description, given that people first tend to notice them for being really pale rather than a really deep blue.

I'm not sure why Roose would ever be missing a shadow though, and I think his eyes would probably have a different description, given that people first tend to notice them for being really pale rather than a really deep blue.

Well then who do you think will be the lie dany will slay?

Well then who do you think will be the lie dany will slay?

If I was made to choose at gunpoint I'd probably say Stannis just because I can't see any alternative yet, but it being so immediately obvious makes me think it's not. All the other 'lie' visions she had were symbolic, the cloth dragon representing a human boy and the stone beast breathing shadowfire representing something that probably isn't going to be a literal stone beast breathing shadowfire. And yet the description of the blue-eyed king with a glowing red sword, minus the shadow part, is almost the same literal description people give of Stannis every time they meet him.

If I was made to choose at gunpoint I'd probably say Stannis just because I can't see any alternative yet, but it being so immediately obvious makes me think it's not. All the other 'lie' visions she had were symbolic, the cloth dragon representing a human boy and the stone beast breathing shadowfire representing something that probably isn't going to be a literal stone beast breathing shadowfire. And yet the description of the blue-eyed king with a glowing red sword, minus the shadow part, is almost the same literal description people give of Stannis every time they meet him.

But the red sword we speak of will be with the Boltons, if we believe that the pink letter is written by Ramsey. So that's one less, but yeah i do agree he is the only blue eyed king we have come across, chances of him being killed by Dany are high.

“He’s not wrong,” grumbled Ned Woods, one of the scouts from Deepwood. Noseless Ned, he was called; frostbite had claimed the tip of his nose two winters past. Woods knew the wolfwood as well as any man alive. Even the king’s proudest lords had learned to listen when he spoke. “I know them lakes. You been on them like maggots on a corpse, hundreds o’ you. Cut so many holes in the ice it’s a bloody wonder more haven’t fallen through. Out by the island, there’s places look like a cheese the rats been at.” He shook his head. “Lakes are done. You fished them out.”

I think Stannis's major defense strategy is to let the heavy cavalry charge of the enemy on the ice and the lake will do the rest. Then he will engage with the rest of the enemy who are disorganized and terrified. He is happy to hear that Ser Stupid will be leading the charge. The majority of the Frey cavalry will freeze to death. The rat and cheese reference and the story of Rat Cook foreshadow this.

That's pretty much the consensus opinion. So much so it's almost fact.

The real question then becomes how does he follow it up by defeating Roose to regain his Red Sword just to get slayed by Dany?

I think Stannis will come to an agreement with the Manderly men after the battle. They will act like Stannis was defeated and return to WF. Some people think that there is a strong Manderly army nearby under the comand of Robett Glover. I think that is how they will take WF. But Roose and most of his men might be on their way to Dreadfort when they come.

Archived