Joe Abercrombie: SPOILER THREAD for all of the First Law books

MisterOJ

I'm loving TFL more with every book that I read.

Important question!: I got The Heroes as a gift today, can I read it without fear of spoilers for Best Served Cold? Or should I read BSC first? Thanks in advance.

There are some spoilers especially related to one character. I guess you could read the Heroes already, if you don't mind to spoil some of the development of said character.

My advice would be to sit this one out and safe the Heroes for after BSC. It's also the wiser choice since the Heroes is by far Abercrombie's best book (and with the exception of BSC they are all pretty great so that says something).

You can read it without being majorly spoiled.

But, I'd recommend reading BSC first.

There are some spoilers especially related to one character. I guess you could read the Heroes already, if you don't mind to spoil some of the development of said character.

My advice would be to sit this one out and safe the Heroes for after BSC. It's also the wiser choice since the Heroes is by far Abercrombie's best book (and with the exception of BSC they are all pretty great so that says something).

Okay, thanks. I'll wait with The Heroes until I get BSC, I've got plenty of other stuff to read anyway.

Ha! We get four posts in before we get "What order should I read Joe Abercrombie?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(No offense intended First of My Name... its somewhat of a running joke around here that this question invariably pops up in any Abercrombie thread.)

None taken, I get it :) I know what order they should be read in, but I was wondering if deviations were possible. Sorry, I didn't know that thread existed.

New thoughts on LAOK:

I'm almost done, the battle of Adua is over. I'm not sure what I think of it, I'll make up my mind after I finish. I also find it pretty funny that half of our POV characters have gained a spot in the closed council. Also, Bayaz is one of those guys that I love as a character but hate as a person. West is probably my favorite, with Jezal and Glokta as runner-ups. I think LAOK is a great book but for I haven't decided the details of my opinion yet.

Finished First? Thoughts?

Yes, finished.

HAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: Glokta and Ardee... Love the irony of the ugliest of all ending up with the girl, no matter the circumstances. Same goes for Glokta having to raise Jezal's child. Bayaz is a complete and utter asshole. I both love and hate the fact that, in the end, I couldn't name a single character that is happy, except maybe Bayaz.

I'm also very sad for West... pretty sure he's dead.

I had also expected more deaths, but this is nothing the book suffers from. I love deaths, you see, but stories don't necessarily benefit from them.

The resolution to all the conflicts was mostly satisfying, though some of the things just kinda 'happened', you know what I mean? Like Mamuns death.

The resolution to all the character arcs was good, but I saw a reviewer say that pretty much all the characters are in the same spot they were during TBI, which is at least partly true. However, with the statement that history moves in circles, this might as well be intentional. Not a ig deal for me.

The epilogue: I like the link with TBI's prologue, but I was slightly spoiled for this. I'm convinced Logen isn't dead. Good epilogue nonetheless.

All in all, I completely loved this book, despite my qualms. It was fucking glorious. One of my favorites.

Hiya,

New around here so I am unsure how spoiler threads work but loved all of the books in The First Law series and also read BSC and The Heroes.

Question. When are we going to see more Glokta?

Also want more of Bremer dan Gorst. After reading The Heroes, I want to see what else that sword swinging sociopath gets up to.

Also want more of Bremer dan Gorst. After reading The Heroes, I want to see what else that sword swinging sociopath gets up to.

Well look out this thread is for all the FL so will have RC spoilers. I doubt Glokta will play a major role again really, his arc is complete, if he were to fall from grace it'd most likely be fatal.

I hope for more Gorst too, he ain't in RC though.

The next books planned are the second trilogy books he has planned, but he has some other stuff in the works, I think 2017 is the rough publication date, but don't quote me on that. Joe's website'll be the best place to keep tabs.

Question. When are we going to see more Glokta?

Joe just announced in his blog that one of his next shorts stories will be about "a key moment in the relationship between the young Lieutenant West and the dashing Colonel Glokta". I hope it depicts the day they parted ways in that bridge in Gurkhul.

Btw, the other will have Bethod and Logen together. This one I'm really interested in.

So when can we expect the Bayaz and Kanedias one? Or is it Bayaz and Tolomei?

I doubt that something that significant would be told in short story form. I sort of expect to get that tale somehow in the next trilogy. (If we get it at all. I wouldn't be shocked if Joe leaves the origins of Bayaz shrouded in a bit of mystery. I quite like it like that, to be honest.)

Archived